Cheltenham Handicaps

Agreed. I couldn't have him for either race. I haven't checked yet but I'd guess Energumene put up a better rating at Naas in the week in what was only his second race over fences, than Sky Pirate has ever done in 10+chases. And that one is place material at best.

If he was a low to mid 150's novice after two or three races you could see him still improving. But he he isn't, so he doesn't have the same scope to improve from a low 150's base when compared to pretty much all of the field.

Anyone know what date the handicap entries for the Cheltenham handicaps are published?

I've been looking at some Irish races/form and there's horses that would be highly interesting if entered in the festival handicaps.

Assuming the Irish horses are allowed over to the meeting!

Anyone know what date the handicap entries for the Cheltenham handicaps are published?

I've been looking at some Irish races/form and there's horses that would be highly interesting if entered in the festival handicaps.

Assuming the Irish horses are allowed over to the meeting!

Should be Thurs 18th February

Cheers, DG. in theory that gives me four weeks to save up to get a bet on once those entries come out. :)

I’m amazed Jonjo has let Sky Pirate run & win today. I just don’t get why. Wasn’t a big purse and he’s looking at another 6 or 7 lb. Now he’s proven his mark was exploitable but is going to struggle to win a Grand Annual off a low to mid 150s.

But what surprised me more was bookies shortening him for the race. Perfect opportunity to steal some money, especially if you’re not NRNB.

Was really keen on him for the Annual, even before LTO - in another thread - but think he’s blown his mark

Sky Pirate +7 (152)

As predicted.

In light of this I've invested in Mick Pastor e/w. Betfair went NRNB last week as I'm sure we all know and they allow me a daily boost, albeit with £25 max but that boosts Mick Pastor to 22/1 5 places. It's 20/1 NRNB without the boost.

JP might well have more obvious candidates, e.g. Aramax, as to my eyes Entoucas has less chance but even if that is the case, despite not being averse to having multiple runners (had 5 including the Nicholls trained winner in 2018) the horse will need to go up 3 or 4lb before then to sneak in at the foot of the weights and if he doesn't it's money back.

If on the other hand he does put in a prior performance to justify the rise, then as a horse who was only beaten a little over 6 lengths off top weight in the Boodles last March, has since had wind surgery and put in that eye catching performance behind Shishkin, he won't be 22/1 on the day for the JP/Nicholls/Grand Annual combination.

Quite simply, if he's good enough to qualify then he's a lot shorter on the day and if not then I've lost nothing.

Has Nicholls said where he intends to run Mick Pastor next? He's of interest for all the reasons you say.
I'm already on Aramax and Entoucas nrnb, and I'm sure they're both plotted for this. Don't forget Front View as well. Surely JP won't send four to the Grand Annual though.

It occured to me that Mick Pastor could also possibly be stepped up in trip. He's bred to need it, and also that JP and Nicholls may prefer to keep his novice status intact for next season. I have a feeling that he's the one that will skip the Festival. Nrnb is definitely the play I think.

At the moment my thinking is this:

Aramax - Grand Annual
Entoucas - Grand Annual/Plate
Front View - Plate/Grand Annual
Mick Pastor - Skips The Festival

No, I've heard nothing and you may be right but JP has had 4 and 5 runners in the GA within the past 3 or 4 years.

Either way it's no harm done if he doesn't show and Aramax is still clearly of interest, though maybe not so "dark".

Has Nicholls said where he intends to run Mick Pastor next? He's of interest for all the reasons you say.
I'm already on Aramax and Entoucas nrnb, and I'm sure they're both plotted for this. Don't forget Front View as well. Surely JP won't send four to the Grand Annual though.

It occured to me that Mick Pastor could also possibly be stepped up in trip. He's bred to need it, and also that JP and Nicholls may prefer to keep his novice status intact for next season. I have a feeling that he's the one that will skip the Festival. Nrnb is definitely the play I think.

At the moment my thinking is this:

Aramax - Grand Annual
Entoucas - Grand Annual/Plate
Front View - Plate/Grand Annual
Mick Pastor - Skips The Festival

Front View can't jump. Be some waste of time in a Grand Annual.

For the price he'll be I'd be happy to let him win away. I thought Entoucas needs a step up in trip too.

Last edited:
I agree. He’s one that could go either way.

If one of JP’s gets backed for the Grand Annual it usually pays to follow the money though.

Don’t know that “usually” applies at all, Paul.

Granted, he’s had four winners in the past 15 or so years, but of those, only Alderbrook was backed into favouritism, and when Bellvano won, Kid Cassidy 4/1f was absolutely nowhere.

In these ultra-competitve handicaps, it’s just not as simple as follow-the-money, imo.

Last edited:
Put two in here.

Run Wild Fred and Coko Beach.

1st and 2nd today and probably blown any Cheltenham mark without a dime of my money on today :lol:

2 more slips for the bin

Last edited:
Put two in here.

Run Wild Fred and Coko Beach.

1st and 2nd today and probably blown any Cheltenham mark without a dime of my money on today :lol:

2 more slips for the bin

National Hunt Chase for the Coko surely. Fred surprised me. Someone made a good point this morning. The first two home in the race were first time up in handicaps. That really is a good angle in Ireland.

National Hunt Chase for the Coko surely. Fred surprised me. Someone made a good point this morning. The first two home in the race were first time up in handicaps. That really is a good angle in Ireland.

Ive got Coko any race, but feel their could be better. Fred needs less that 145 off the British handicapper for the Kim Muir, again, could be better candidates if he gets in.

You’re one for the green and gold Slim. Darasso, what are they doing with him? Running over both obstacles in graded races and coming not even close.

Last edited:
But why run him over fences? Not as if he’s got a low hurdle mark to protect.

Coral Cup did cross my mind though. I'll keep an eye out for first-time tongue tie :lol:

That's precisely it, he does have a low hurdle mark to protect....if he won a hurdle race he would go higher....

If he gets in the Coral off 150, he'll be 10Lb well in...

Last edited:
Thought he needed soft/heavy ground so wouldn't have thought Cheltenham would be the plan

Sent from my SM-J415FN using Tapatalk

Cheltenham Handicap Watch 2021

Excellent thread last year. Let's go.

Gordon Elliot is fishing for marks with entries at Musselburgh at the weekend.

Coko Beach
Escaria Ten
Roaring Bull
Run Wild Fred
Eskylane
Glorious Zoff
Grand Roi
Riviere D'etel
Wide Receiver

Run Wild Fred - Hoping for less that 145, Kim Muir.
Coko Beach - Surely NHC now
Roaring Bull - Ultima?
Grand Roi - Genuinely dont know
Wide Reciever - Martin Pipe certainty surely?

Back