Cheltenham Preview evenings 2016

I was at the Shabra Preview last night in Castleblayney.Guest included .Johnny Burke,Dermot Weld,Tony Martin,Noel O Brien ,Shark O Hanlon,Willie Power and David Jennings. Just some key points.MC Des Scahill.
I only took notes on some of the races:
Champion Hurdle: Shark does not fancy Annie Power for the Champion Hurdle.Majority of the panel said Annie Power however Tony Martin fancies My Tent or yours .
Supreme Novice : Johnny Burke rides SuperSundae says it's worth an each way also Dermot Welds has Silver Concorde and also said it was worth an each way.
Arkle.Douvan(Panel said they can't see him been bet)
RSA : More of That . David Jennings said Barry Gearaghty said it is his best ride of the entire festival.
Gold Cup.David Jennings was saying he had an interview with Cooper and he reckons that talking to Byran Cooper he is gonna ride Don Cossack instead of Don Poli
.Also I have a mate who has a share in Myska and Paul Townend will sadle her in the Mares Novice Hurdle on Thursday .And he says she Is definitely an each way and Mullins believes that she could finish second or third.
The Charity bets for the panel are as follows:
Willie Power: On The Fringe
Dermot Welds Silver Concorde
Willie Mullins who gave his bet to Des Scahill ( Limi) and A Toi Phil
Johnny Burke: New to the town
Rita Shah : Silver Concorde
Noel O Brien:Yanworth
Tony Martin: Don Cossack
Shark O Hanlon: was given a special bet by PP for Willie Mullins to have 3 winners on the first day at 5/1.
David Jennings: Minella Rocco
I have other bits of info on sheets that I put somewhere in my jacket .I will post them over the next hours if I find them !!.

Last edited:
Alan King's record in hurdle races at The Festival in the last seven years is just one winner from 73 (0 from 37 in Group 1's)

Just saying :ninja:

Last edited:
Alan King's record in hurdle races at The Festival in the last seven years is just one winner from 73 (0 from 37 in Group 1's)

Just saying :ninja:
The stat is a little different if you go for 8 years rather than 7 but I'd tend to go with the view that he's still a good trainer and he's therefore due one.

Went to the Cheltenham Festival Info preview night in London last night. Was pretty much what I expected and will probably be my first and last one…

Panel of Lydia Hislop, Tony Calvin, Geoff Banks (just as big a nob in person as on the tv), a surprise guest who remained that as didn’t turn up and Rishi (top man) as MC

Tues
Supreme – Negative on Min, but solely on price. Altior the pick
Arkle – LH & TC both put up Zamdy Man at 50-1 ew without Douvan. Premise being the recent rain will help
CH – Against Annie on price. LH put up Peace & Co at 20-1! TC backed Old Guard at 40-1 but couldn’t recommend any bet now
Only other point I remember was all keen on Out Sam, though a ridiculous comment was made that you should only back him NRNB to cover against him not making the cut

Wed
RSA – against More of That, positive for Roi des Francs & Rishi likes NMH
QM - Felix Yonger EW value
Fred Winter – TC keen on King horse that ran behind Frodon – Messire Des Obeaux

Thurs
Ryanair – Village Vic goes h’cap route. Dynaste value at 20-1. Banks spouted some rubbish about Djakadam shd run or something
World Hurdle – TC put up Cole Harden last yr but doesn’t fancy for 2016. Lydia does EW
Others – Johns Spirit obvious in the Plate and Smart Talk gd EW alternative in mares novice

Fri…I’d started to drift off by now…
Triumph – both Ivan Gorb & Zubayr terrible prices
Gold Cup - Great pre/aftertiming from LH who is on Djakadam at 66-1 after the 2014 festival. Think Cue Card was the pick

Overall a fun night & good excuse to have a few beers and chat racing. Didn’t learn anything nor did I win the raffle, but think they must have made £6/£7k for Injured Jockeys & riding for the disabled

and the prize for the most uninformative, unoriginal preview of the year goes to...

Thanks for putting it up Perp as I was supposed to be there but went to buy my tickets earlier in the week and discovered they'd sold out.

I'm glad I didn't bother doing it earlier now.

Back