Cheltenham Preview Nights

Thanks Luke... This looks like a complete misreading of the situation to me. What were they expecting given the circumstances of him being stuffy and needing it?

Trainer and AP are happy with him.

I'm not a great fan of such previews. People will say anything just to say something.

I tend to agree, but I would be surprised if Binocular was far off his peak with just a couple of weeks to go to the Festival.

I tend to agree, but I would be surprised if Binocular was far off his peak with just a couple of weeks to go to the Festival.

The Q&A with Henderson tells us more than a third-hand report about what JP was thinking!

Binocular was among the team to head to Kempton. How did it go with him and how pleased are you with his progress?

NH: Fine. He was the one horse who desperately needed what we were doing and had a good blow. We purposefully said after the Boylesports International that we weren't going to run again so that wasn't a worry. But when we were snowed in during February, that was the time he should have been starting work so we have had to fill in quite quickly.

You've had some wonderful horses through your hands. How excited are you by Binocular?

NH: He's lovely. We bought him as a three-year-old, gelded him, and he has done everything we've asked him to do. So far he's looked very good, he is a very good hurdler and is a lovely horse in every way.

There was a round of golf played yesterday with Justin Carthy,Francome,Cattermole and a few local knobs.They had a 5K treble for charity to pick out.As I understand it Justin Carthygot on to JP who got on to Bolger who said that L'ami was the pick.

From my notes:
Mick Fitzgerald was strong on The Polomoche who was in the gallop with Binocular.
Francome cannot have Diamond Harry -said he looked like a greyhound after his last race and its hard toget them back at this time of the year.He tipped up According to Dick at 50s (winner today).Karabak was popular with the panel.
Shining Gale was the horse Francome tipped for the Sun Alliance at 50s.
Local bookmaker Noel Cummins who is fairly shrewd said Red Moloney didn't get home at Roscommon and cant have him for the Supreme Novices.

There was a round of golf played yesterday with Justin Carthy,Francome,Cattermole and a few local knobs.They had a 5K treble for charity to pick out.As I understand it Justin Carthygot on to JP who got on to Bolger who said that L'ami was the pick.

Cheers Luke;)

CHELTENHAM FESTIVAL PREVIEW EVENING REPORT

Exeter Racecourse Cheltenham Festival Preview Night - Thursday 27th February

Panel: Phillip Hobbs (PH), David Pipe (DP), Paul Nicholls (PN), Harry Findlay (HF), Andrew King (AK) and hosted by Zoey Bird (ZB).

A good crowd of around 150 attended the first of the ten preview nights that will be covered in this service. Harry Findlay was the star of the show with his upfront views on everything that was asked of him while Zoey Bird was in good form as the host. Not all the races were covered, in fact only ten were featured.

ZB: Welcome to Exeter this evening and let’s get the panel’s thoughts on the lead up to the Festival...

PN: Very much looking forward to it but you can never be too confident!

HF: Much less pressure this year due to Denman.

DP: We’ve hit form at a decent point, probably got a similar team to last year although it would be nice to win Dad’s race (The Martin Pipe Conditional Jockey’s Handicap).

PH: Not got as strong a squad as Paul or David but we’ve a couple of decent e/w shots, I’d settle for one winner now though.

SUPREME NOVICES’

DP: Torphichen is rock solid and he has a good chance as he’s done nothing wrong. AP (McCoy) was very impressed with him at Sandown but owner Thomas Barr will decide if he runs here or in the Triumph.

ZB: Is Cousin Vinny value?

HF: I lumped on when he fell in the race Pandorama won so he’s not a lucky horse for me! He’s not really value. Red Moloney for me e/w at a nice price.

ZB: Phillip, what about Copper Bleu?

PH: I like him, although he is still a bit raw. I was pleased with his run behind Master Of Arts at Doncaster and he has an e/w chance.

DP: Master Of Arts will probably go for the Triumph. He was top class on the flat and you couldn’t help but be impressed with his Doncaster win.

AK: Cousin Vinny is a worthy favourite and he’ll take the beating.

HF: I wish I owned Mad Max as he’ll go close before chasing next year.

ARKLE

ZB: Tells us about Tatenen Paul...

PN: He hasn’t beaten much thus far and although he wasn’t great in Ireland when he got beat there were excuses. Softer the better for him so the ground on the first day should be fine. The faster the pace the better as well and he has a real chance.

ZB: And I’msingingtheblues...?

PN: He worked well this morning and I’ll be running both. I can’t have Calgary Bay , his form isn’t great. He’s a decent horse but not for me. Planet Of Sound (trained by Hobbs ) is the danger.

PH: I want good ground for my chap! Travels well and has enough speed for this race. If it’s soft ground we may wait for the Grand Annual on Friday.

AK: Tatenen has done nothing wrong because Ireland didn’t work out for him. Planet Of Sound is the danger if the ground is good.

HF: I’m biased towards Tatenen because all summer the big players have had a very strong opinion about him. Calgary Bay is better than Paul thinks while Kalahari King would have a chance.

CHAMPION HURDLE

ZB: Is Binocular value at evens?

HF: I’m getting stuck in! He’s in a different league this fellow. I don’t think there has been any class in this race for years but this guy stinks of it. He’s a certainty.

ZB: Osana?

DP: He’ll come on for the run at Sandown so I was pleased with his effort there as he’s a hard horse to get fit. He’s had a nice gap since, well on course and we fancy him. If the Ascot Binocular turns up then he’ll be hard to beat. Ashkazar has a bit to find but he’s still unexposed and would be shorter but for his run at Ascot earlier this year, which you can forget.

PN: I was impressed with both Osana and Celestial Halo at Sandown and my guy has improved since then to give us a real chance.

AK: This is a cracking race. Binocular shouldn’t be so short, I’ve a doubt about him coming up the hill and I’ve laid him. Osana, Celestial Halo and Ashkazar are worthy opponents and I’ve backed Ashkazar.

BALLYMORE PROPERTIES NOVICES HURDLE

ZB: I like Karabak here but the price has gone thanks to JP (McManus) buying him.

HF: Diamond Harry for me. No reason to oppose him, double him up with Bensalem (Albert Bartlett) and you’ve got a 20/1 double. Paul Barber has been trying to buy Bensalem for the last two years so he’s got plenty of ability. Their form is collated and it’s a sneaky double.

AK: I’m a Diamond Harry fan and agree with what Harry says about the double.

RSA CHASE

PN: I’m a Man Utd fan!

HF: You are now Sir Alex ( Ferguson ) owns What A Friend!

PN: What A Friend was bred locally and I bought him after winning his bumper at Newton Abbot. He’s 2 from 2 this season and goes very well fresh so I’m very happy. He’s a hold up horse so that brings its own problems.

ZB: Cooldine? Casey Jones? Carruthers?

PN: All very good horses, Ruby (Walsh) will probably ride Cooldine so Sam (Thomas) will be on mine, which I’m more than happy about. I’m just worrying about my horse.

PH: Wouldn’t be sure we’ll run Massini’s Maguire. He’s entered in 4 races but I just doubt he’ll get three miles on soft ground.

HF: Very open race but the handling of Carruthers is strange. This guy is a proper RSA horse and I can’t believe they won’t run him, preferring instead to wait another year for the Festival. This race is made for him.

AK: Gone To Lunch e/w. A real grinder who won’t be out the first three. Massive e/w bet.

CHAMPION CHASE

PN: Master Minded is stronger than last year and he’ll be hard to beat. He’s only 6 and very uncomplicated.

HF: All positive since last year. Nothing can beat him. Should be about 1/6 but he’s 1/3. Lump On!

DP: Better than putting your money in the bank! Well Chief goes there, touch wood. He’s in good form and he’s the only horse that could maybe give Master Minded half a race. He’s top class on merit.

AK: Master Minded is a certainty, Well Chief the only danger on his best form but that’s a long shot.

RYANAIR

ZB: Voy Por Ustedes will be gunning for this...

HF: I’m a Tidal Bay fan but the vibes are bad. Not keen on Voy Por at a short price.

DP: We were out of form in the King George so forget Our Vic’s run in that. He goes well fresh so all roads lead to this. Voy Por is the one to beat but we have a good chance, especially as the race could cut up.

ZB: What about Gwanako Paul?

PN: Probably run but he’s got an impossible task to beat Voy Por. The Topham (at Aintree) will be next.

AK: Monet’s Garden is only fair at 20s and Alan King thinks Voy Por is his bet of the meeting.

WORLD HURDLE

ZB: Harry, is Kasbah Bliss another short one for you?

HF: He won’t get beat, he looked a proper tool up at Haydock last time out. I’m against Punchestowns as the form of his Ascot win is poor.

PN: When Big Bucks has raced over three miles or more he’s only been beaten once, when falling in the Hennessy. He’s quirky so not sure how much ability he truly has. He’s only 6 and improving.

PH: Fair Along is a credit to himself. The switch back to hurdles has restored his confidence and he’s improved massively as a result. Good ground will really help and he has an e/w chance.

AK: Fair Along amazes me! Kasbah Bliss is all class and as for Punchestowns, well I’d be worried about the form of the (Nicky) Henderson yard.

TRIUMPH

ZB: Zaynar anyone?

AK: He’s started to drift which is worrying as he’s part owned by Victor Chandler. Although I’m not saying there’s a link!!!!!

DP: This is wide open.

PH: I think plenty of Copper Bleu so that speaks volumes for Master Of Arts (Pipe’s horse).

HF: I’ve laid Walkon and Ebadiyan and I like Starluck and Master Of Arts.

GOLD CUP

PN: Last year was incredible and very fortunate to get the 1-2-3. Kauto Star is much more himself this year, he’s fit and well and fresh and he looks great. Drying ground is a big plus. Last year took too much out of Denman, he was steaming for 2 hours after the race which you don’t see very often. He’s had no operation, despite it being reported that he did, but he was drugged and that knocked him sideways. He has improved since Kempton and he worked really well today, more like the Denman of last year and he’s certainly fit now. The race track will tell us the truth though as he’s not a great worker. Neptune Collonges is improving but he has to, a career best is needed.

HF: Denman was a gone horse jumping the last twelve months ago, it left a massive scar. I don’t think we’ll ever see the real Denman ever again. Grand National talk was complete rubbish. I don’t think he’s even a certainty to run in the Gold Cup.

PN: I think he’ll run but it’s so hard to tell with what he’s like at home.

DP: Being realistic, it’s going to be tough for Madison De Berlais but he deserves to take his chance. Riding him more positively has had a real impact on him and he’s improved to give him place credentials.

AK: Kauto is obvious. Madison should be bigger as the Kempton form isn’t worth anything, he won the race by default. Albertas Run e/w on decent ground is the call.

HF: I won’t have an opinion if Denman runs or not, I’ll leave it to Paul.

PN: It will be left to Sir Robert Ogden’s team to decide if Star De Mohaison runs or not.

The panel were then asked for their ‘value’ bets of the meeting....

PN: The Nightingale (Ballymore Properties)

AK: Bensalem (Albert Bartlett)

DP: Consigliere (Grand Annual on soft or Jewson / Festival Plate otherwise)

PH: Snap Tie (Champion Hurdle)

HF: Aachen, trained by Venetia Williams (County Hurdle)

Thanks, qzy. I get the impression PN thinks Denman won't be winning any more Gold Cups.

HF is aftertiming in a big way when he says he knew his horse had gone when he saw him jump the last in last year's race. His talk at the time was about Kauto Star being gone. Did anyone take him up on that?

HF: Denman was a gone horse jumping the last twelve months ago, it left a massive scar. I don’t think we’ll ever see the real Denman ever again. Grand National talk was complete rubbish. I don’t think he’s even a certainty to run in the Gold Cup.

I think he knows they got lucky.

Thanks, qzy. I get the impression PN thinks Denman won't be winning any more Gold Cups.

HF is aftertiming in a big way when he says he knew his horse had gone when he saw him jump the last in last year's race. His talk at the time was about Kauto Star being gone. Did anyone take him up on that?

That is all I remember him saying as well.

Arkle -Big doubts about everything -Tatanen priced up on connections -very little inspiration for anything else.

Stayers Hurdle- Everyone for Kasbah Bliss -Tazbar nominated e/w.Mick Fitzgerald doesn't like Punchestowns or Barber Shop in the Gold Cup.

Can you remember Luke why Mick Fitz was against Punchestowns?

Snippets from elsewhere:

Hen Knight said at her yard today that "Calgary Bay is really going to Cheltenham a year too soon, but the owners are keen to have a run". She is thrilled to have got AP as they feel he's still so big and gangly no-one else could get him organised enough to have a chance.

Someone from France has posted an 'opinion' on the RP webiste regarding Kasbah Bliss that he is a 'well know dog' over there and doubts he will fight up the hill at Cheltenham. (I tend to agree, his record there is poor - some horses just hate the track and I fear he may be one).

Ridiculous time

Cheltenham Festival Preview Programme Airs Exclusively on TV3
A special preview of the 2009 Cheltenham National Hunt racing festival will be broadcast exclusively on TV3 on Thursday, 5th March at 11.40pm following Nightly News with Vincent Browne. There will be a repeat screening on Saturday morning, 7th March at 8.50am.
Presenter Denis Kirwan will be joined by Ireland's leading racing analyst Donn McClean, also by Senior National Hunt Handicapper Noel O'Brien and by Paddy Power, PR Director of Paddy Power Bookmakers, for a one-hour preview of the biggest racing festival of the year.
The panel will give their views and mark your card for all 16 Championship races at this year's festival.
We take a vist to Paul Nicholls' Dicheat Yard to discuss his principal festival contenders. The English Champion trainer last year saddled the first three in the Cheltenham Festival Gold Cup. We also visits Irish Champion trainer Willie Mullins who has assembled his strongest ever team for an assault on some of the festival's biggest prizes. Colm Murphy speaks about his bid to win a second Champion Hurdle with the gutsy Brave Inca.
Speaking about the programme, Producer, Stephen Cullinane said: "The Cheltenham Festival is one of the biggest sporting events of the year and we are delighted to bring punters an expert guide to the 2009 spectacle. Our preview programme will provide viewers with the best tips and the very latest betting information, delivered by people passionate about their racing."

Way past my bedtime:mad: Will have to set the auld vcr..Haven't advanced to SKY+ just yet.

Mr fancy pants with his vcr....Im setting up the casette player beside the speaker of the black and white to try and record the audio of whats said.....I have to try and find someone to stay up and press record, and change the tape over half way through....

Can you remember Luke why Mick Fitz was against Punchestowns?

Snippets from elsewhere:

Hen Knight said at her yard today that "Calgary Bay is really going to Cheltenham a year too soon, but the owners are keen to have a run". She is thrilled to have got AP as they feel he's still so big and gangly no-one else could get him organised enough to have a chance.

Someone from France has posted an 'opinion' on the RP webiste regarding Kasbah Bliss that he is a 'well know dog' over there and doubts he will fight up the hill at Cheltenham. (I tend to agree, his record there is poor - some horses just hate the track and I fear he may be one).
It's true he's regularly beaten in staying hurdles in France for one reason or another - behind Monoalco and Grande Haya most recently but he's in a different league to the staying hurdlers we have. The races are run differently in France too so that might have something to do with it.

Mr fancy pants with his vcr....Im setting up the casette player beside the speaker of the black and white to try and record the audio of whats said.....I have to try and find someone to stay up and press record, and change the tape over half way through....

:D

There has even been a preview night here in Brussels. The discussion generated a bit of heat, to such an extent that the panel could not even speak to each other. The panel consisted of Ego and Id, and was chaired by Grey.

Supreme Novices: Ego started off saying he fancied Hurricane Fly when Id butted in to point out that HF was a non-runner. "I know", said Ego, "but I had 50 quid on him and it's down the pan". "Who else gives a stuff?" asked Id. "Let's move on", said Grey.

Arkle: Ego said Follow The Plan was overpriced. He beat Tatenen at Leopardstown fair and square and will be conceding less weight at Cheltenham. The horse is a battler, will appreciate the hill and faster ground.

Id said I'msingingthblues had impressed him and that he would outclass FTP, a horse trained by a nobody in some obscure corner of Co. Cavan.

Champion Hurdle: Ego produced a long list of horses he had already backed for this race. Id produced a similar list. Closer inspection revealed that not a single name was common to both.

Ego: "I wouldn't have any of the horses on your list. Fergus Wilson jobs the lot of them".

Id, in astonished tones: "These horses are all heroes, who've given us endless enjoyment and debate over the years".

Ego: "You'd need a magnifying glass to see their chance".

Id: "Sure not even a pair of Binoculars would win it for you".

Grey: "I'm off to the jacks. Has anyone seen the crossword?".

The session was suspended until further notice.

Back