Cheltenham Watering

We have seen what over watering has done to tracks like York and Ascot on the flat and Sandown over jumps. Not only does it ruin the going and the spectacle of the races but it also creates false patches which leaves horses unsure regarding the footing and makes it dangerous for jumping.

There is nothing to suggest the going will be firm come Gold Cup day….there is rain forecast. Water to maintain a safe going….not to alter it particularly if rain is forecast.

There are indications of quite a strong storm crossing the country on Monday with severe gale or storm force winds for the north in particular. The GFS (American) weather service is predicting about 37 mm (an inch and a half) of rain over the next 6 days.

The local forecast here in Cheltenham is for storm force winds as strong as 70mph and torrential rain Sunday evening into Monday and wet and windy all week.

Have just seen the forecast for next week, weather looks horrible. Bad news for the likes of Harchibald,Twist Magic and co.

They've stopped watering according to the RP website

Sounds like it's going to be a bit gruelling for all concerned - yes let's hope the Irish and French horses don't have too rough a passage, and that the winds die down for Tuesday.

If, as the PA and others are reporting this morning, this could be a storm of a similar intensity to the January 1990 event, the issue won't be whether the track is raceable but the potential damage to the infrastructure round the course.

Rails, fences, hurdles can all be replaced fairly quickly but I imagine there will be any number of temporary structures which could be wrecked spreading debris over the course. Those who remember the 1987 storm will recall the abandonment of what was then Dewhurst day at Newmarket due to storm damage.

I'm sure Cheltenham are prepared and I imagine Cleeve hill provides some shelter but any ideas on the impact of 80mph gusts on the track ?

The place is covered with marquees - all the big trainers have them, there dozens of huge hospitality tents, Elite Racing Club etc etc. These are big structures held together with scaffold type poles... and if the tents lift up and go flying , all the tables & cloths etc inside will go flying too. Not to mention bookies boards etc

Damned dangerous, and impossible to have horses out if that kind of thing is likely to happen.
What a bummer... We all have to hope the forecast is exaggerated....

Indeed, though the greatest threat is going to be the day before so I would expect racing itself to be ok:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_...t_warnings.html

Keep an eye on that for up-to-date info. Currently expecting 60-70 mph gusts so lightweight structures would be at risk. My fear is that stormy winds would cause such damage that racing would be impossible on Tuesday even though the track itself would be quite raceable.

Around an inch of rain expected before Tuesday by the way.

Originally posted by firstpastthepost@Mar 7 2008, 05:53 PM
its rained for 20 minutes today in cheltenham and it was only fine rain, let the weather man be wrong about this weekend!
It gets you very wet, that fine rain.

I saw Harry Findlay at Sandown today - he had a permanent grin stretched from ear to ear! Must've seen the weather forecast allied with the knowledge that muppet Claisse has been pouring enough water on the track to keep Cheltenham and Gloucester going for a month......

Originally posted by rorydelargy+Mar 7 2008, 04:58 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (rorydelargy @ Mar 7 2008, 04:58 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-firstpastthepost@Mar 7 2008, 05:53 PM
its rained for 20 minutes today in cheltenham and it was only fine rain, let the weather man be wrong about this weekend!
It gets you very wet, that fine rain. [/b][/quote]
True Rory, but with the (very) windy weather also predicted that surely would have a drying effect.

I'm no Michael Fish of course! :p

Originally posted by Shadow Leader@Mar 7 2008, 09:48 PM
I saw Harry Findlay at Sandown today - he had a permanent grin stretched from ear to ear! Must've seen the weather forecast allied with the knowledge that muppet Claisse has been pouring enough water on the track to keep Cheltenham and Gloucester going for a month......
In fairness it does not sound too bad. As Kathy said the wind should counteract much of the forecast rain.

by Rodney Masters

THE Met Office forecasts gales of between 60-70mph at Cheltenham on Monday with more strong winds on Tuesday morning, and racecourse staff will need to batten down its tented village on the eve of the festival.

Showers are expected on Saturday and again on Sunday before the storm strikes.

A Met Office spokesman said on Friday: "There'll be heavy downpours at Cheltenham on Monday, but the wind will be so strong it will soon blow away the rain, and shouldn't make too much difference to the ground.”

Simon Claisse, clerk of the course, said: “It's good ground on the old course for Tuesday and Wednesday; good, good to firm in places on the cross-county course, and good to soft, good in places on the new course for Thursday and Friday.

“We may have finished our watering programme but we'll check how much rain arrives.”

Alan King walked the course at Prestbury Park on Friday and reported: "It's in very good nick. The ground is good, no easier than that.”

And after all the feverish speculation has died down, along with the dire predictions of "heavy" ground, we'll end up with exactly the same going as we had last year.

Interesting that after the burst of heavy rain on Thursday night, the word "firm" still appears in the going report for the CC course.

...whilst severe weather warnings are in place for storms on Monday, which is exactly the forecasts that have been made for the last 4 or 5 days.

Looks like the ground has genuinely dried out to good ground in the majority of the track judging on Turftrax information. Hopefully the ground should be in good nick to withstand the possible rain.

We've had a couple of sharp showers today with a strong wind blowing all day.

Ground round here (same soil and similar drainage, so good guide) has firmed up quite a bit since last week. Just a bit of give at present although further drying out would put it on the faster side of good. The ground last year was a little bit softer than this on the first day, but was quite definitely not good to soft.

If this weather front prevails through next week, it will be bloody cold! The wind, I am sure, had a few little flakes in it this morning. :eek:

If we do get snow, wonder if we'll have some streakers again? :shy:

Back