Chester May Meeting

Gamla Stan

At the Start
I know we have a thread for the Chester Cup itself but I personally think the race is one of the lower points of the meeting, it's near enough a lottery for me and I'll be looking at the other races for value...

Roses For The Lady in the 2.15 looks an outstanding bet at 3/1. She's put in some cracking performances on the clock and the form of her last win has been franked very well with the 2nd, 5th and 10th both winning since. The slight step up in trip should see more improvement for her and with the yard in blistering form who seldom have runners in Britain, I make her about a 6/4 shot at best so 3/1 seems a steal.

The sprint is always a trappy little contest and those drawn in double figures have pretty much no chance of winning. Good Gorsoon would be interesting but he has a tendency to blow the start which would be disastorous here. There's no way he can win from stall 13 but Green Manalishi's record here is very admirable; 3 wins and 2 places from 6 starts and 20/1 is worth an each-way bet as I can see him placing, especially with 2 inside of him now non runners.

Interesting weeks racing, kicks off shortly with an interesting 5f 2yo event.

Archers Road would surely be shorter but for his draw 7/8 so Mijas Playa assumes favouritism. Fratellino ran behind Red Jazz at Ascot last time, a race RJ was backed to win easier than he did. Fratellino has previously beaten Tom Folan, but it's these two that I'll take against the field at huge prices, from their decent draws in 2 & 4.

2.15 another interesting contest, Simple Solution comes from the Chester loving Hills stable and has decent maiden form from last time out, wouldn't be confident enough to call it a selection though.

Tilt e/w in the Chester Cup doubtless been the plan since last year for this one and Ryan Moore is an interesting booking.

3 NR's already in the sprint, still 12 runners though so forget those in the high numbers for the win, Angus Newz solid e/w bet for me from draw 6.

Digger Derek stepping up in class and trip in the 4.00, interesting to see if it attracts market support against Sir Marks gamble..

Last edited:
Murtagh rode them to sleep.

Kinane looks weak in a finish.

What were the other jockeys thinking?

I think Murtagh went fast enough for them to think they would come back to him. Not as if he crawled and kicked on. Thought the Oxx filly did not like the track or ground and is not one to be trusted.

She didn't look like she was putting it all into me, I agree.

I didn't think he was going that fast personally.

After the event, but the Jarvis horse was some price for the layers.

Equally split between credit to Murtagh and ridiculous riding by others.

Spot on.

I bankered RFTL in the Placepot after toying with the idea of putting the winner in. :( It's going to pay a boat load now.

Clearly he wasn't going too fast as he wouldn't have anything left - that was more my point.

Clearly he wasn't going too fast as he wouldn't have anything left - that was more my point.

Clearly he didnt go too fast, but neither was it as if he sat on an easy lead off a crawl. Was a strong enough pace for jockeys to be happy enough to sit off it and they were struggling to close her down the back.

Yes, Galileo, that's really what I meant but didn't say. Sorry if I seemed to be dismissive, Hamm.

BTW Stoute has warned not to back Phillipina for the Oaks, that she is unlikely to run. Must be quite confident of Enticement's running a good trial in the Musidora.

No idea if he'll can rail OK but he's drawn well tomorrow, so no excuse on that front.... FAREER in the C2 7f Boodles Handicap tomorrow @ 3.15.

Am very proud of this colt's performances so far but have to be honest and say I think he will have problems with the bends!!

Best of luck Songsheet!! Hope he goes well for the family.

As for Perfect Truth...highlights the improvement of O'Briens runners from their first run. Could place in a maiden behind Roses For The Lady but steps up next to place in listed company and a winner today.

RP reports that Stoute wouldn't drawn on The Derby and they (the Post analysis man) suggest the Cocked Hat Stakes at Goodwood in about a fortnight could be a possble|?!

Anyone have any thoughts today?

I like Expresso Star in the second, he looks incredibly progressive and I think the race will be run to suit with Yahrab and Staying On in the lineup. I like the latter but not sure about him over 1m2f with Yahrab probably taking him on for the lead, may hope he gets beat and then back him next time over a mile. Doctor Fremantle is a very poor price given his opposition.

I'd be laying Masterofthehorse all day at 6/4 too, very tight given what he's achieved and given the potential improvement from the opposition.

Lucky Numbers looks good in the last but the form of the yard worries me and Goliaths Boy looks value at 10/1 in the 3.15 on his first run in handicaps, could be on a very lenient mark.

I was very impressed with Sight Unseen's maiden win on racecourse debut but this looks a big ask today.

Obviously inexperienced and a very different course.

Think expresso star is a lay there was talk before the lincoln about pulling him out due to ground concerns and it has to be firmer today and he looked all pace so a step up in trip isnt guaranteed to suit. Dr Freemantle is the one to take in that race imo

Think expresso star is a lay there was talk before the lincoln about pulling him out due to ground concerns and it has to be firmer today and he looked all pace so a step up in trip isnt guaranteed to suit. Dr Freemantle is the one to take in that race imo

Expresso absolutely battered 2 handicaps over 1m2f last year. The more Dr Fremantle shortens, the more of a bet Expresso becomes for me.

Back