Chester May Meeting

Look at the last race in Chester - 16 runner handicap.

5 non-runners, whose respective draw positions were 9, 16, 14, 12, 13.

This is a disgrace, and what will the BHA do? Nothing i'd expect.

Perhaps the solution is to make the draw on the morning of the race just before the early prices come out?

Look at the last race in Chester - 16 runner handicap.

5 non-runners, whose respective draw positions were 9, 16, 14, 12, 13.

This is a disgrace, and what will the BHA do? Nothing i'd expect.

Perhaps the solution is to make the draw on the morning of the race just before the early prices come out?

What do the trainers expect when they enter at Chester?! Clowns.

The same happens at Beverley over 5f all the time but I have a bit more sympathy for trainers there as Beverley have tried to erase that absurd bias before, but to no avail.

Murtagh added: "I rode him as I was told. In two of his races last year he was ridden handy and didn't finish his races. Aidan (O'Brien) said to drop him in today, let him relax and finish his race.
"Colm nicked three lengths turning in and was able to maintain it, and his horse ran a good race in France last time out.
"I was happy with my horse and the way he finished."

Another stakes winner for High Chapparal - keeping the momentum going.

Does Colm O'Donoghue ride him at home? He, unlike Johnny Murtagh, wasn't surprised by the winner's performance. Of course, it was GS's second run of the season and Masterofthehorse's first.

Murtagh appeared in front of the stewards...RUK trying to find out what was said or done. He has left the track now.

I doubt Murtagh will be looking forward too much to Drumbeat. Obviously has a great chance in the race but a real hold up horse and generally a tricky ride.

Crap ride. Not sure why Mellish and Hislop on RUK are trying to make more of it than that.

I think they were trying to ride Masterofthehorse in the same way that his full sister Alexandrova was ridden so successfully in the Epsom/Irish/Yorkshire Oaks.

I do think that everyone thought Golden Sword was a pacemaker - and he was def NOT. Has every right to have won that, well bred to get the trip and proved he is no back number. Agree Murtagh should have got closer, however he still might not have won. Would have been a nice battle at the end though. :)

I do think that everyone thought Golden Sword was a pacemaker - and he was def NOT. Has every right to have won that, well bred to get the trip and proved he is no back number. Agree Murtagh should have got closer, however he still might not have won. Would have been a nice battle at the end though. :)

Golden Sword won fair and square Murtagh himself said he had the wrong horse, the old 1-2, they will not let him him get that far in front next time.

Market for the Ormonde Stakes should be fascinating....imagine there will be plenty wanting to take Frozen Fire on despite him having much the best form.

Fairly ridiculous conditions for that race. How on earth does an Irish Derby winner get weight in a Group 3 the following May?

Thought Colm O'Donoghue gave Golden Sword a fantastic ride in the Chester Vase; admittedly Murtagh gave his mount far too much to do, but O'Donoghue wound the pace from (literally) a mile out. Fantastic ride.

Doctor Freemantle ran a nice race today as well. Not sure he was totally suited by the track (despite having won the Chester Vase last year) and he certainly found the rather stop-start gallop against him. Has to improve on today's form to get in the mix in the top races of course, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if we see a good deal of improvement from him on his next few runs.

Four horses with later entries this week in the 1.45 at chester, today three have double figure draws i wonder if they will run or am i just being an old cynic.

Frozen Fire didn't act around Epsom, and I wouldn't be surprised if the course didn't suit. AOB's are often coming on for first run, so I think the value rests with the unexposed All the Aces. Ran very well at this meeting last year, followed it with a good run at Ascot. Perhaps e/w for first 2.

Last edited:
Four horses with later entries this week in the 1.45 at chester, today three have double figure draws i wonder if they will run or am i just being an old cynic.

3 NR's in the opening mile race, drawn 11, 12 & 14... 1 out of the 5f 3.15, drawn 9 of 11.. so far...

Quite fancy Doctor Parkes for local trainer Eric Alston in the sprint handicap - he's had plenty of good ones over the years and doesn't often step one up this much in grade after a Catterick auction maiden, should go well at 7/1+ from the plum draw :)

dont think i will bother with a bet at chester after spend some time looking at chester to-day every horse i was going to back are non runners,huzzah,enroller,never mind there is always another day,dot know what anyone else feels but apart from a few races over the three days i feel the general quality of racing is quite poor.

Drumbeat and Frozen Fire are both odds on now. Could easily see both win but definitely a watching brief for these two tricky customers.

Whilst FF is a clear choice on his best form, and odds on is probably right, I can't see how Drumbeat is 10/11. No form from last year (from quite a few runs) suggests a colt of much potential, and you would be taking a lot on trust as to how good Redwood may be to justify anything close to current odds. The mentioned high head carraige the last day is also slightly worrying.

I would take a chance on Libel Law and South Easter who both showed potential in their maidens.

Frozen Fire didn't act around Epsom, and I wouldn't be surprised if the course didn't suit. AOB's are often coming on for first run, so I think the value rests with the unexposed All the Aces. Ran very well at this meeting last year, followed it with a good run at Ascot. Perhaps e/w for first 2.

My thoughts exactly. Looks like they are trying to turn him into a cup horse but I can't have Frozen Fire at the price and All the Aces has given every indication that he will handle the step up in trip. We know he already handles the course and take out Frozen fire's Irish Derby win and I don't think there is much between them on the form book. The Irish Derby form is dubious imo.

Down to a field of four now though so e/w out of the window.

Whilst FF is a clear choice on his best form, and odds on is probably right, I can't see how Drumbeat is 10/11. No form from last year (from quite a few runs) suggests a colt of much potential, and you would be taking a lot on trust as to how good Redwood may be to justify anything close to current odds. The mentioned high head carraige the last day is also slightly worrying.

I would take a chance on Libel Law and South Easter who both showed potential in their maidens.

I think his run in the Goffs Million (just behind Gam Amhras), his run behind Fame And Glory, his run behind Redwood etc is much more than anything the maidens you mentioned have achieved.

Back