Clare Balding to join Channel 4

Balding is a competent enough broadcaster but I've always found her a bit lightweight on the BBC's racing coverage. The betting side of it is a closed book to her and she has a tendency to talk down to viewers as if they lack even a basic knowledge of the sport. I accept this last point may be a result of instructions from on high to "educate" the audience. There's no doubt she's a bit of a coup as far as C4 Racing is concerned, though, as she's flavour of the month everywhere following her perceived star showing at the Olympics.

I wouldn't be sorry to see the back of Spencer and Graham. I suppose it's too much to hope that Plunkett might have to walk the plank as well. I appreciate I'm in a minority on here but I like Cattermole and I'd like to see him stay.

According to tomorrow's Racing Post John Francome will not be working for the new team due to personal loyalty to Andrew Franklin.John McCririck said he would be delighted to work for the new team-there's a surprise.

Why do you all care so much? Are Richard Keys and Andy Gray not an example that it's the product that matters not the cheer leaders. I personally couldn't give a **** who presents what racing coverage anywhere. The result is all that matters. Racing seems to have convinced itsf that it can win joe bloggs over through good presenters or coverage, it can't.

Not a big C Balding fan...she seems to take over the whole thing and never stops twittering on.....relative lack of depth in her racing knowledge too but anything would be better than Cattermole nad Spencer..they are awful.

Why do you all care so much? Are Richard Keys and Andy Gray not an example that it's the product that matters not the cheer leaders. I personally couldn't give a **** who presents what racing coverage anywhere. The result is all that matters. Racing seems to have convinced itsf that it can win joe bloggs over through good presenters or coverage, it can't.

Well said

It matters to me on the rare days when I am watching without a bet.I remember a couple of years ago being badly sick when the wife and child were away-Matt Chapman was doing Stateside on ATR and he kept me entertained for the night without having a bet.
There are too many presenters at the moment who have me reaching for the mute button.I've heard it said that Francome is the worlds worst tipster but he offers a broad perspective on the game.

.....seemingly because he'd actually been involved in the sport rather than getting involved because his father was a trainer, then she's not the saviour many make out. Not to me anyway.

I've read several times that Clare B has had no actual involvement in racing - she was champion lady rider ffs.

Couldn't disagree more. This is exactly the attitude which is like poison running through the heart of racing - We can't attract anybody new so why bother?

We can and we should ensure that our terrestrial coverage is of the highest quality to aid that cause. It is good presenters and coverage that can showcase the product to a wider audience.

I suppose it's too much to hope that Plunkett might have to walk the plank as well.

They should have sacked her after her ridiculous pro-hunting political rant on the Morning Line a few years ago. Regardless of your opinion on the issue, she was well out of line that day and she'd have been sacked by most other broadcasters for it.

haha there is some bull on here about Balders only being involved because A. She is a pretty?? B. She is the daughter of a trainer.

She is a talented broadcaster with an indepth knowledge of horse racing. As long as the product is produced properly she will be a great anchor person. Between herself and Nick Luck thay have a start of a decent team. Just as long as they dont hire bigmac!

i do think it matters who presents racing Slim

i think Big Mac has had his day..and Lesley Graham..though not sure when her day was or how she even got the gig in the first place.

to be fair re the Andy Gray comparison..were they so important?..any daft sod can talk about football..i'll bet there were a queue a mile long for keys and grays jobs....but very few can talk about racing and make it appealing to the masses..and also keep the more hardened fan interested...its a more in depth game than booting a ball around a pitch.

Last edited:
haha there is some bull on here about Balders only being involved because A. She is a pretty?? B. She is the daughter of a trainer.

She is a talented broadcaster with an indepth knowledge of horse racing. As long as the product is produced properly she will be a great anchor person. Between herself and Nick Luck thay have a start of a decent team. Just as long as they dont hire bigmac!

McCririck is finished but I still prefer him to Nick Luck or Claire Balding

Would love to see Balders and Lydia back together, will this reunion ever happen?:)

I make it approximately 11/2 they share the all-important television screen again together:)

Last edited:
The reason Graham got the job with C4 was because when Andrew Franklin set it up, they were looking for a female and she happened to know him. She took a screen test and they hired her. It was nothing to do with her husband.

yes i knew her husband was a trainer..but that still doesn't tell me why she got the job..there are many trainer's wife's out there...i just never got why she got the job ..just never saw what she brought to the table.

Because she was a friend of Graham Goode I think and she met Andrew Franklin. I was working for her husband at the time as assistant and I am pretty sure thats what happened. She knew diddly squit about racing - still doesn't!

Back