Clare Balding to leave C4?

Chapman would liven things up. Though would obviously upset the toffee nosed brigade.

I've never heard KP on WH radio but I used to read his column in the Weekender. I gave up as I felt it was never telling me anything.

Is he a genuine expert? What kind of things does he say on WH radio that helps?

Aside from that, any info at that stage is probably too late for many punters, certainly me. 90% of my bets are on by 10.30am. I have to take a horse's appearance on trust.

Still, I would like some kind of paddock expert input but it would need to be on the lines of 'x will be a few pounds below form today because...' or 'y looks better than ever and will leave his form behind'.

I imagine not many 'experts' would be willing to put that kind of opinion on the line, though, so we end up with generalisations and platitudes.

Fair play to Simon Holt on Saturday. He mentioned that Farraaj had not gone well to post, possibly not liking the ground, despite the fact that connections insisted he needed it fast. It has to be possible something was not right with the horse on the day.

Ken isn't scared to give negatives DO..favs as well..you would win more from him in one day than you ever will listening to eyes shut Jim..obviously you have to be able to bet near the off

I like Chapman, Does seem a bit of a marmite character and can see why people are opposed to him though i suppose its down to what type of person you are and who you like spending time with

Personally i would be up for a pint with Chappers but cant abide by Nick Luck, Reminds me of a smarmy Tw@ at work that that reckons he's cleverer than everyone else but realy the whole depot cant stand him.

Last edited:
I like Chapman, Does seem a bit of a marmite character and can see why people are opposed to him though i suppose its down to what type of person you are and who you like spending time with

Personally i would be up for a pint with Chappers but cant abide by Nick Luck, Reminds me of a smarmy Tw@ at work that that reckons he's cleverer than everyone else but realy the whole depot cant stand him.

Does seem like he is a marmite character. Don't get why some don't like him. Some just take things too seriously.
As for Nick Luck. Think your being a bit harsh on him. I was sceptical at first but think he actually comes across a decent bloke.

But it is indeed all about opinions.

The big issue that is obviously sometimes side-lined here is the obvious problem that led to the ratings drop, they ousted Big Mac!

A dumb ass move to drop your only controversial character in a world where controversy and 'telling it how it is' increasingly appeals to people.

Last edited:
I wouldn't want him there all the time but Chapman is the only presenter who makes me laugh and can laugh at himself and take a bit of stick. He would liven up quiet Saturdays but then I do like a w@nker/gobsh!te and I get the marmite thing. I just can't stick people who take themselves too seriously.

I like Nick Luck too. The only difficulty I have with him is that he reminds me too much of George Osborne.

But that's my problem.

Losing Clare Balding wouldn't be a disaster as she'd not on often enough but it would be a move in the wrong direction as she is very good anchor (and knowledgeable about the sport) whereas McCririck is a total wanchor.

Having known Chapa*se through him dating a very good friend of mine, all I will say is that he is an utter sh*t. It took a lot of persuading by me for my then b/f not to flatten him in a restaurant when we went out for dinner one time. Hopefully he has grown up in the ensuing years but his treatment of her then was appalling and very public.

Balding is so far up herself that you expect to see something coming out the other end. I've always thought that she was responsible for the disaster of C4 getting rid of Alastair Down because she wanted to do the atmospheric pieces. I'd be fairly confident that she and Luck had the say over who stayed and who went with the reorganisation a couple of years ago although I suspect that Francome jumped because of his IJF responsibilities and wouldn't have given a damn anyway. No loss.

Sorry, badly phrased. Didn't mean Francome was no loss, meant Balding. Francome is expert view with no axe to grind and a good guy to boot.

Francome couldn't tip coal and was endlessly inaccurate - for all his witty asides and McCririck baiting.

I don't get to see very much on CH4 but off sick at the mo so saw two days of the York coverage. It was hard work. Large fields the race card wasn't read all the way through ( I don't have a paper or sit with my PC on my lap), far too much emphasis on the 'top' horses in each field, not enough time talking about each horse, especially when they were not showing racing from anywhere else so not pushed for time, too much 'fashion', Clare in the pre parade a la BBC and the horses leaving as they were trying to talk about them. I didn't feel as if I would be missing much if I was a regular viewer.

Balding is so far up herself that you expect to see something coming out the other end. I've always thought that she was responsible for the disaster of C4 getting rid of Alastair Down because she wanted to do the atmospheric pieces. I'd be fairly confident that she and Luck had the say over who stayed and who went with the reorganisation a couple of years ago although I suspect that Francome jumped because of his IJF responsibilities and wouldn't have given a damn anyway. No loss.

You are making some very big assumptions about what went on behind the scenes at C4 without any apparent supporting evidence.
Whatever your personal opinion of Clare Balding nobody can deny her professionalism and skill at what she does.

Whatever your personal opinion of Clare Balding nobody can deny her professionalism and skill at what she does.
I most certainly can. Her performance at the 2012 Derby, where every other utterance was about her brother training the Queen's second favourite, was one of the most puke-making bits of racing coverage that I've ever seen.

I can't comment on her C4Racing outings, but I thought she was pretty-polished and reasonably well-informed, on the thankfully-few occassions I was compelled to watch racing on the Beeb.

She has become rather ubiqitous though, and familiarity often breeds contempt. About the only thing she seemingly hasn't put her hand up for lately, is eating turds in the jungle with Ray Mears.

Last edited:
It's no great secret that Clare has many supporters in the Beeb who are championing her candidacy for a very senior role in the organisation, (sort of female Cliff Morgan) albeit her aspirations and capacity is felt to be greater and quite a few have openly speculated that she could take the top seat in time (her establishment credentials are impeccable).

Once upon a time the Beeb promoted a little bit along the lines of 'dead mans shoes' and insiders could bide their time, the so called corporation men. These 'lifers' however have lost a lot of ground in the wake of recent scandals (notable George Entwistle) and being a one trick BBC pony is regarded as millstone today.

In order to rise in today's environment however, it's increasingly considered necessary to take yourself outside of the Beeb for a few years and gain experience in other areas of broadcasting with independent production companies and commercial stations. It's a bit like the Tory MP who has to earn their stripes doing work in the private sector even if the appointments are sometimes hand picked and just a little bit cushy

Clare I believe is observing this process now. I also believe she can see that the writing is on the wall for C4 racing (as it is the sport in general on planet football) and that she doesn't need to be associated with a sinking ship any longer than is necessary. The moment she thinks she's served her time she'll be out the C4 slot as fast as she can go

Last edited:
I most certainly can. Her performance at the 2012 Derby, where every other utterance was about her brother training the Queen's second favourite, was one of the most puke-making bits of racing coverage that I've ever seen.

Liam Treadwell's grand national winning interview.

Asking John Magnier after Pour Moi's Derby win about the sad disappointment of Carlton House before congratulating him on his win.

I thought her interview with Richard Newland after this years grand national was awful as well. (People might have asked about Doctor Who??)

As Warbler said, made of the establishment. I think she lost interest in the sport a long long time ago and having her eye on a bigger prize makes sense.

Last edited:
Back