Clare Wills & Watership Down At Newbury

• Thread starter Thread starter Kathy
  • Start date Start date
Well done to Claire! And I just realised I know her parents, if that is them in the photo at Newbury - Pheasant?? Elite members? can't quite place it ...... lovely people anyway

Clare rides Shippy (Watership Down) at Stratford on Sunday. I would love to be there BUT have other commitments unless I can change them. John Maxse rides Gielgud in the same race. :D

I managed to get to Stratford. It's the first time I have ever been to this racecourse. It's very compact and the viewing is not brilliant from the stands as the actual course seems to be a long way away.

It was a great afternoons racing though. Clare managed to get round and was about 7th when Shippy put in an extra stride and nearly managed to unship the jockey. Clare managed to stay on board, goodness knows how, and jumped another couple of fences before pulling up with a few other horses. I am glad to report both horse and rider are absolutely fine and are already looking for another race! John Maxse game a creditable 5th in the same race.

She clung on in spite of being thrown right up his neck, and did a terrific save! Really enjoyed watching them, Kathy, and hope to see her take old Maxse next time, though I must say GIELGUD is a pretty good schoolmaster, by the look of it. Say a great 'well saved' from me - I really thought it was a case of Unshipped Down then!

Me too - couldn;t beleive it when she righted herself!
The atr commentator was v complimenatry about her stickability

Shame about that but they ran on well, and I bet she enjoyed it

Clare sustained a small cut to her lip and Shippy a small cut just inside his rear leg (just a nick), but other than that both are fine. Clare was more embarrassed than anything. Clare takes it all so seriously and just wants to do her best. I will certainly pass on your comments....thanks, I know she will be thrilled! :D

Just a couple of photos of Clare and John. Apologies about the running rail :shy:

SHIPPYGIELGUDANDPROUDTOPRESENTAT-2.jpg

SHIPPYGIELGUDANDPROUDTOPRESENTAT-1.jpg

SHIPPYGIELGUDANDPROUDTOPRESENTATSTR.jpg

Aw, sweet photo!
- and why do so many men in racing have wonderful noses - but I digress :) :rolleyes:

Btw, I bet Sir Clement will be thrilled Brendan has got a win out of Eau Good today! I think he'd lost his way at Chapman's [mind you if even 10% of what I heard form one of MC's ex head lads is accurate, I'm not surprised...]

And Brendan got a 2nd from Count Kristo, a horse I adored at Clive Cox's even tho he's such an 'enigma' both in his box and on the course - I just love 'em tall, dark and handsome!

Brendan needs another 3 winners to get to the 50 NH wins for this season, so fingers crossed for the rest of this week. Sir Clement is a relatively new owner to the yard, HS so I hope he was suitably impressed even though he wasn't there this evening.

"Sir" Clement is a complete arse - an utter cretin. I'm sure BP will end up regretting the day he took on one of his horses - he's horrific to train for; rude and ignorant as hell.

I certainly haven't heard any negative feedback, SL. Personally, I hope Sir Clement is pleased with todays result and decides to put some more horses in training with Brendan.

Originally posted by Shadow Leader@Apr 23 2007, 09:02 PM
"Sir" Clement is a complete arse - an utter cretin. I'm sure BP will end up regretting the day he took on one of his horses - he's horrific to train for; rude and ignorant as hell.
That wouldn't surprise me - tho I've heard it said more of his other/previous trainer than of him! No wonder they seem to have had a falling out. His brother the famous artist has always refused to have anything to do with im, btw - he's v funny on the subject... Anyway best of luck to Brendan, I think CF is now so crock that he won't see much of the old boy. So long as he pays his bills, things should go swimmingly, and at least CF seems to know how to spend his dosh

I'm sure BP will end up regretting it Kathy - Freud is top of any "worst owners" list, I can assure you!! He's been through more trainers than I've had hot dinners & I know of at least one who told him to sling his hook despite having a lovely young horse he wanted to hang onto. The man's an imbecile.

Originally posted by Shadow Leader@Apr 23 2007, 09:36 PM
I'm sure BP will end up regretting it Kathy - Freud is top of any "worst owners" list, I can assure you!! He's been through more trainers than I've had hot dinners & I know of at least one who told him to sling his hook despite having a lovely young horse he wanted to hang onto. The man's an imbecile.
Thats' a pier of the rellim you are reefering too. :eek:

Huh! It's more Inclement Freud - gatemen detest the Lautrecian dwarf for his vileness. And just how many glamorous 'nieces' does the little shortarse have? Is he disgracefully rich, or does he have a massive donger?

Originally posted by Shadow Leader@Apr 23 2007, 09:36 PM
Not having a dig, SL (honest) but I am not sure if you read Sir Clements comment in The Racing Post today.

For those who haven't seen it, Sir Clement praises Brendan Powell in a fairly amusing write up about his horse (Eau Good) winning at 25-1 at Windsor last Monday! Brendan was chuffed, not because it was a nice pat on the back for him and the yard, but because Sir CF had the decency to mention Clare Wills who led up, John Hart who assists Brendan and of course Stephen Donohoe the jockey in his article.

I would say, that on the face of it, he is down as a pretty good owner so far! :)

It is nice to see that the people who look after the horses are getting some acknowledgement.

The person leading the horse up was named in the racecard at Newbury last Saturday. I'm not sure how common this is.

Back