Coral Eclipse Stakes

bloomin heck Gal..you quick :p

maybe so..but is it an ideal prep for the KG?..is it being deemed as a prep?..doubt it..is he even going to run in the KG?

we not going to agree on this one :D

I would have thought he could run in both - yeah its probably short of his best, but plenty of top class 10f horses have stepped down to a mile to prove their speed, this is a similar scenario. He'll be a tough horse to beat over 12 but I think he'll put it up to the best over 10.

I have taken a bit of the prices around right now for RVW on the basis that:

a) There is no reason why he should not progress from the Derby like most of the other Ballydoyle 3 year olds.
b) Getting conditions he should relish and seemingly has been trained for the race.
c) He is likely to trade much shorter on the day and can be laid off if need be. Not chance of him going off bigger that his current price.

I have taken a bit of the prices around right now for RVW on the basis that:

a) There is no reason why he should not progress from the Derby like most of the other Ballydoyle 3 year olds.
b) Getting conditions he should relish and seemingly has been trained for the race.
c) He is likely to trade much shorter on the day and can be laid off if need be. Not chance of him going off bigger that his current price.

C, is the only good reason for backing him - there is no logical reason for thinking he can get Sea The Stars off the bridle let alone beat him on their Derby and 2000 Guineas form.

C, is the only good reason for backing him - there is no logical reason for thinking he can get Sea The Stars off the bridle let alone beat him on their Derby and 2000 Guineas form.

And Oratorio couldn't beat Motivator on their Derby form....Rip Van Winkle had an interupted Guineas preparation and the Derby was a messy race (I do not think RVW would have been placed in today's derby). Time and time again we have seen the Ballydoyle three year olds make huge jump in performance around this time of the season.

Mastercraftsman and Fame And Glory have proved to be top class 3 year olds this year and Ballydoyle have seemingly always maintained that RVW was top of the pile. Yet to prove it on the racecourse but 9/2 or 5/1 is a fair enough price about a horse that is finally getting the right conditions for him.

Last edited:
I can understand the comparison, but Oratorio had actually done the job as a 2yo, and flourished at 3 once he got his trip. Not quite the same as RVW, who is still entirely unfulfilled potential - he still hasn't even placed in a Group 1.

I can understand the comparison, but Oratorio had actually done the job as a 2yo, and flourished at 3 once he got his trip. Not quite the same as RVW, who is still entirely unfulfilled potential - he still hasn't even placed in a Group 1.

Fair points, though I think he has achieved plenty more than some give him credit for.

I hope they ride him a bit handier (much like they did Oratorio).....but obviously Sea The Stars is the one to beat and is a deserved favourite.

It's unbelievable that Rip Van Winkle (never placed in a Group 1 or 2) is ahead of Conduit in the betting for this. I would have my house on Conduit in a match bet. Ballydoyle may help me by putting Heffernan up :D

CROWDED HOUSE, who emerged best of the Brits when sixth to Sea The Stars in the Investec Derby, was on Sunday reported in "tremendous form" by connections, but will not be asked to take on the dual Classic winner in Saturday's Coral-Eclipse at Sandown.

Nice horse, shame about the connections.

I have said it before RVW is turning into another One Cool Cat always an excuse for his defeat in any race. I hope I am wrong because if he is as good as they say this could turn into an epic between STS and himself. Throw in Conduit staying on may be one of the best Eclipses for years. As for the Crowded House comments does anyone else know how to decrypt that nonsense of a statement!

One Cool Cat, like Oratorio, also did the business at 2 - dual Group 1 winner, let's not forget.

I'm about 10 miles from Sandown (as the crow flies) at the moment and it's absolutely baking out there.

It's unbelievable that Rip Van Winkle (never placed in a Group 1 or 2) is ahead of Conduit in the betting for this. I would have my house on Conduit in a match bet. Ballydoyle may help me by putting Heffernan up :D

He is not ahead of him in the betting. RVW is third favourite.

I may appear to have been knocking RVW this season, but I actually believe (as much as I like STS) that there won't be much between STS and Rip in this.

Conduit will have his supporters and the older horses are hard to get past, but I'm not too sure about him.

Last edited:
Back