Coral Eclipse Stakes

As mentioned by EC, the current forecast (I'm looking at the BBC one) has all the rain arriving on the early hours of tomorrow and through the morning. Temps will remain in the mid-20s though. Decent card tomorrow to help us figure out what effect was had.

Shame because I would of liked Tazeez to string them along at a franetic pace but unlike Aiden O'brien's tactics that's how the horse likes to win from the front so it's not a false mission.

I cannot see STS being beaten . Unlike recent Derby winners beaten in his race he is not a 12 horse trying to show he has speed . He is a Guineas and Derby winner - Nashwan won the race , I am sure Nijinsky would have won it pulling a cart .

He has three real rivals - Conduit a terrific 12f horse won't have the gears, RVW could not trouble STS over a mile or 12f - no reason why he can over 10f , Cima de Triomphe is talented but not good enough .

STS will surely score comfortably.

Last edited:
The weather would have to be changing pretty rapidly - not a cloud in the sky nor does it feel muggy and close as it does in the hours preceding storms and heavy summer rain.

Although according to the BBC website, it's been raining here for the last hour and a half.....

its the BBC forecast I looked at SL..they get it wrong a fair bit..I should use met office site really...but...I like simple weather forecasts though..you know..simple pictures and things..the met office site is way too much effort for me:D

Weather-forecasters are Oxygen thieves. I hold them in as much regard as Traffic Wardens.

Sunshine with showers. Never have I ever witnessed so much arse covering. What was it like an hour ago? I predict it might continue, until it does the opposite.

Stealing a living.

....and then saying 'hey, we couldn't have predicted this!' when the one eventuality they haven't mentioned arrives. Like hurricanes, Mr Fish....

I cannot see STS being beaten .

He has three real rivals - Conduit a terrific 12f horse won't have the gears, RVW could not trouble STS over a mile or 12f - no reason why he can over 10f , Cima de Triomphe is talented but not good enough .

STS will surely score comfortably.

That would pretty well sum up my thinking, but I've always liked Rip van Winkle and feel he might be closer than at Epsom. 1-2 for the three year olds.

All the money again for Sea The Stars this morning....4/6 now with Ladbrokes.

RIP VAN WINKLE will take his chance in the Coral-Eclipse Stakes at Sandown on Saturday despite a slight scare revealed by the Galileo colt's trainer Aidan O'Brien on Friday morning.

O'Brien said: "Rip Van Winkle gave himself a bit of a knock on the inside of a hock on Thursday. We were a bit concerned, but we were happier with him this morning. He cantered and seemed okay, so we're happy enough to let him run."

Last edited:
Weather-forecasters are Oxygen thieves. I hold them in as much regard as Traffic Wardens.

Sunshine with showers. Never have I ever witnessed so much arse covering. What was it like an hour ago? I predict it might continue, until it does the opposite.

Stealing a living.

1.01 we have a failed weather forecaster on our hands... :D

Graham Dench, the Post's live reporter at Sandown, reports heavy overnight rain and the going is now good.

I'm sure Graham can't have reported heavy overnight rain. By 9.30am there was dust being kicked up, that wouldn't be the case after heavy overnight rain, can't believe for a second (having been in the area early doors) that they had heavy rain overnight. Showers, yes.

someone must surely know if it rained heavy or not..are we in the 1950's?:p

1.01..they water it to Good ground

if you were there SL then odds are it didn't rain heavy..you would know

Take the piss if you like, Galileo, I am speaking as I find, being very familiar with the area.

I would be amazed if there was that much rain last night - it made barely an impact, the amount of rain there was. Christ alive, had there been heavy rain there wouldn't have been widespread dust about by 9.30am! There won't have been much of a change in ground conditions either, unless Sandown is in a microclimate that received 100% + more rain than areas about three miles away.

Back