Coronation Cup

Anyone seen any prices yet?

Youmzain should be a pretty solid favourite.

Look Here was brilliant a year ago in the Oaks but there's plenty of question marks regarding how fit she'll be and indeed if she's trained on.

Eastern Anthem has to prove he can continue his Dubai form now he's back under Suroor's care.

It will be competitive but if the field is like this every year it will only be a matter of time before it's downgraded.

Buccellati, All The Aces, Doctor Fremantle, Duncan Expresso Star and Scintillo would make for a poor enough Group 2 - the others are G1 calibre but given CC is unlikely to run it would be a five horse race at most

It's surprising, isn't it? It would basically have to achieve a rating of less than 110 (based on the first four home) for four years running. And even then, they could probably stave off downgrading as long as they get plenty of 110+ horses turning up.

I would of liked to see J.Dunlops Samuel run in this to be honest but does anyone have any news on the horse and its absence?

Ladbrokes:

Youmzain 5/2
Ask 5/1
Look Here 5/1
Casual Conquest 7/1
Frozen Fire 8/1
Doctor Freemantle 8/1
Buccellati 12/1
Eastern Anthem 12/1

I like Look Here for this but she'd need a strong pace.

Fortunately, I've just checked and I note that Buccellati made most last time out so no problem there.

Fortunately, I've just checked and I note that Buccellati made most last time out so no problem there.

I'd fancy her to beat the favourite too gus. However Ask, Casual Conquest, Frozen Fire and Eastern Anthem are all capable of running to very high levels. It looks a hell of a race to me. The winner will have to be spot on and run to a very high rating to win... I wonder if it has come a little too soon for Casual Conquest, who I would otherwise like a lot in this.

Last edited:

The form book will say he made the running but in reality he did so only in name...

20/1 for the L'Arc is too big a price on Youmzain, 5/2 for the Coronation is too short for a horse who will improve significantly for the run.

He'll improve for the run? They've not kept him fit since Dubai?

Edit: I suppose it was two months ago now.

Youmzain is a lazy horse and was given some time off after Dubai to get back into things. He has only had 3 serious gallops and takes a lot of stoking. He would prefer a bit of juice in the ground as well. Dream Desert worked better than him last week and he looked just about 2 gallops short imo. He has a long seasoned campaign and will benefit from this run.

I wouldnt go near Frozen Fire at Epsom on a decent surface. He hated the place last year, hated Chester...not for me. Looks an open race and it makes it all the stranger that they did not run Conduit in this.

Channon seems pretty happy with Youmzain:

Youmzain in 'great nick' after working well

BY RACINGPOST.COM STAFF
7.29AM 2 JUN 2009

YOUMZAIN warmed-up for Friday's Investec Coronation Cup with a trip to Newbury on Monday, working over nine furlongs anti clockwise with two stablemates.

The six-year-old is a best-priced 11-4 favourite with William Hill to land Friday's Group 1 at Epsom and left it late to join Dream Desert after collaring pacesetter Silver Guest at Newbury.

Trainer Mick Channon said that he was delighted with the exercise.

He told his website www.mickchannon.tv : "I just wanted to get his blood up ahead of Epsom and there's no better place than a racecourse to achieve that.

"He's in great nick and I think he's a worthy favourite for the race."

The dual-Arc runner-up is bidding to land his first Group 1 in Britain having enjoyed top level success in both France and Germany.

Back