Coronation Cup

Eastern Anthem is a crackers price at 14s for this, he beat Youmzain in Dubai yet he's 11/4. Baffling. Godolphin's older horses have been running well enough and this is a weak Group One really, I'm prepared to risk a bit each-way on him and maybe some on Duncan to upset the fav.

Eastern Anthem is a crackers price at 14s for this, he beat Youmzain in Dubai yet he's 11/4. Baffling. Godolphin's older horses have been running well enough and this is a weak Group One really, I'm prepared to risk a bit each-way on him and maybe some on Duncan to upset the fav.

It really will need to be a weak Group 1 for Eastern Anthem to win it.

I'm with GS. 14s doesn't make much sense given what happened in Dubai. I could understand the thinking behind Youmzain reversing the form (might handle the track better, might strip fitter), but making him 5/2 and Eastern Anthem 14s?

It's usually easy to dismiss an unexpected winner of a Group 1 (& an upto standard Group 1). However, despite the slow early pace and being slowly away (& held up in rear) he still got up to win. The manner makes it a performance that should be seriously respected.

He should be second favourite, perhaps around 4/1 or so.

Really well-bred.

Spot on, I'd have him in at 4s maximum. To be honest, an improver like Duncan worries me more than bloody Youmzain.

Youmzain is one of my favourite horses, and I think with a fast pace he'll take all the beating.

However, the prices are all wrong. Youmzain doesn't win very often, and Eastern Anthem could be top class.

Best to remember that he isn't an exposed poor Group 1 winner; he only had 7 starts before Dubai where he improved out of all recognition.

Enough of the horses who ran in the Sheema have had a fair amount of success in Britain.

Youmzain and the supporting crew in the Sheema can't suddenly be labelled bad horses just because they ran at a particular track.

Taken from the RP article Gareth quotes :
"YOUMZAIN warmed-up for Friday's Investec Coronation Cup with a trip to Newbury on Monday, working over nine furlongs anti clockwise with two stablemates."

They galloped anti-clockwise at Newbury? Well, blow me down with a feather!

12/1 Dr Freemantle is nice value imo. He acts round tight tracks, will like the ground, sure to improve for his seasonal reappearance, Stoute is on record as saying that 12f should be his optimum trip and if Ryan Moore rides him instead of Ask (prefers cut, arguably wants further) then he will go off a lot shorter than 12's.

Ground could be too fast for Youmzain.

Eastern Anthem drifting on Betfair, but imagine ground would be right up his street.

Very much my point...Spanish Moon is not a Group 1 horse either.

This field is no better than the Sheema Classic field though? Could understand it if there was an abundance of Group One performers here but there isn't.

This field is no better than the Sheema Classic field though? Could understand it if there was an abundance of Group One performers here but there isn't.

I never said he couldnt win it did I? I just said it will be a shocking Group 1 if he does.

Worse than the Lockinge? :p

It is a poor group one, no doubt about it, but it's no worse than the Sheema or the Tatts Gold Cup.

Worse than the Lockinge? :p

It is a poor group one, no doubt about it, but it's no worse than the Sheema or the Tatts Gold Cup.

Probably right, the older troops bar Conduit and Tartan Bearer look pretty unimpressive...make hay before these three year olds rip them up in the summer and autumn.

Last edited:
Agreed, think Conduit will improve heaps for Thursday's effort though, he was so very coltish pre-race and I reckon he'll be a force to be reckoned with but he's better left handed.

I like Doctor Fremantle in this. He isn't as good as Frozen Fire but he is more consistent and as mentioned by Galileo earlier, Frozen Fire didn't handle the track in last year's Derby.

I don't know how it can be categorically stated that Doctor Fremantle isn't as good as Frozen Fire - he beat him far enough in the Derby and was a blatant non-stayer in the St Leger when Frozen Fire finished in front of him on the only other occasion they have met.

Doctor Fremantle doesn't ever look like settling in his races. He won't get away with that at the top level I don't think.

Back