Coronation Cup

Godolphin report Eastern Anthem will need the race - what can you make of that?

Surely they could have a horse who has had 3 races in Dubai ready for a big Group 1, or is that asking too much?

I agree. I think it is bizarre that they are running him in such a prestigious event when it appears they are inferring he is not ready for it?

Surely they could have a horse who has had 3 races in Dubai ready for a big Group 1, or is that asking too much?

Great...

If he finishes tailed off, I may drive down to Epsom and chin the lot of them.

Maybe a prep for the Gold Cup then. EA has loads of stamina potential and (like Ask) can only improve for stepping up in trip.

Don't know if they'll run EA when they have Veracity in that though.

The Coronation Cup must be a priority ahead of the Gold Cup though?

I would think if he was fit (he may well be; Godolphin can be 'too' honest sometimes), he'd have a better chance tomorrow than in the Gold Cup.

The Coronation Cup must be a priority ahead of the Gold Cup though?

I would think if he was fit (he may well be; Godolphin can be 'too' honest sometimes), he'd have a better chance tomorrow than in the Gold Cup.

You would have thought so on the face of it. But given the statement that he'll need the race and the Dosage pointing to virtually boundless stamina potential, perhaps the reverse is true.

Can't remember Godolphin using the Coronation Cup as a Gold Cup prep too many times before. The Yorkshire Cup has tended to be their prep of choice. But who knows what they're thinking these days.

Frozen Fire.

:D

Seriously, it is an issue. Expresso Star might. Frankie might try and take the initiative also.

Some decent enough support for him today considering the above, maybe Godolphin being too honest as suggested.

Duncan is another one for support.

Last edited:
Without looking back on how the horse has been ridden in the past, is there any chance Frankie might try to nick it from the front?

Buccellati off a slow pace (he has the form in the book now):D

Come to think of it, Scintillo franked it in a Gp2 at Chantilly last weekend off another slow pace

Youmzain is a big lay in this.

1. The race won't be anywhere near a stiff enough test.

2. Mick Channons record at Epsom in Group races is a negative as well:

G1-G3 races: 05004000000526

he doesn't really target big races there imo..and so not a contender for me in this.

If Youmzain is 5/2 fav...then Eastern Anthem should be odds on surely?

looks the value to me

This market looks all wrong to me.

I think Youmzain is a deserving favourite, and possibly value at 5/2.

However, how are Duncan, Ask and Look here all roughly half the price of Eastern Anthem and Frozen Fire (Sheema Classic and Irish Derby winner)? You can say thereare holes in the latter two, but there are an awful lot more in the aforementioned trio, all of would have to produce form far in excess of a lifetime best to win.

This market looks all wrong to me.

I think Youmzain is a deserving favourite, and possibly value at 5/2.

However, how are Duncan, Ask and Look here all roughly half the price of Eastern Anthem and Frozen Fire (Sheema Classic and Irish Derby winner)? You can say thereare holes in the latter two, but there are an awful lot more in the aforementioned trio, all of would have to produce form far in excess of a lifetime best to win.

Look Here's Oaks performance shouldn't be underestimated, but she's got something to prove a full year later.

If I was really getting stuck into this I'd want Youmzain, Look Here and Eastern Anthem on my side. But it could be a right messy affair so I've had a small few quid on Eastern Anthem on the basis that his price just feels obviously wrong to me and will leave it at that.

Youmzain and Eastern Anthem are the 2 class acts in the race, one of them should win..

I disagree. Youmzain and Eastern Anthem are a very good horse and a good horse who, regardless, still have CVs that reflect kindly on their ability. I'd take them on with Ask and Look Here at the prices.

Agree, her Oaks performance was very taking. However, i do feel that as a 4 year old filly off for as long as she has been, plus the fact she needs to step up quite a bit on form means 5/1 is very skinny. She's the only one of the underpriced trio I named who i think may win, but I think her price is much too short.

There seems to be this myth surrounding Youmzain that he needs to be anchored at the back of a big field to show his best. True, he does prefer a fast pace and he probably won't get that today and that's the reason I won't be backing him. But he likes the long straight here and his win in France last year and his run behind Rail Link in the Niel suggests that a small field isn't a problem.

The negative re pace also hurts Look Here, Frozen Fire and Ask so it's a no bet race for me. I want Youmzain to win though.

Back