Coronation Cup

SteveM

At the Start
Midday looks set to go for the Coronation Cup. Good stuff! The cat among the pigeons.

Last edited:
Looks like a straight match between St Nicholas Abbey V Midday. There is going to be some amazing 3yo+ clashes this season.

Absolutely. As soon as AOB gives the green light, I'll be having my biggest bet of the year.

Was very impressed with St Nic at Chester but no one has really given decent explanations for previous bad runs. It was surely more than fitness as an issue first time out.

Last edited:
A mile much too short at 3, and AOB's older horses first time out are often an absolute disaster.

Midday for me. Proven G1 performer, proven at the track. SNA beat little at Chester - look at the form of the second.

Last edited:
Midday is a rock solid consistent mid 120's filly. Very difficult to see her not running to that sort of figure. Means that St Nicholas Abbey will have to be getting on for 130 to beat her. Can he do that? Probably. Has he done it yet? Probably not. Do I see an edge? Not yet. Am I sitting on the fence again? Certainly.

Midday is a rock solid consistent mid 120's filly. Very difficult to see her not running to that sort of figure. Means that St Nicholas Abbey will have to be getting on for 130 to beat her. Can he do that? Probably. Has he done it yet? Probably not. Do I see an edge? Not yet. Am I sitting on the fence again? Certainly.

If you sit on any more wood people will talk....

looks like the german horse Scalo is coming over as well. on decent ground he could be a very interesting contender. frankie just rode him to win a group2 in cologne as a pipe-opener. seems to improve with age and looked a picture in cologne.

Can you give me an example (or 2) of where Midday has run to the mid 120s? I don't see it but could be seeing her form wrong.

GaloppOnline.de: Ihr Eindruck von Scalo?

Frankie Dettori: Ein kleines, sehr gutes Pferd, für das sich der Rennverlauf im Gerling-Preis aber nicht günstig gestaltete, da er ein schnelleres Rennen benötigt, als es im Gerling-Preis der Fall war. Da es zudem sein erster Start war und er sicher noch nicht bei 100 Prozent war, denke ich schon, dass er auch international auf Gruppe I-Ebene mitmischen kann.

Frankie about Scalo: asked about his impression of the horse he said: a smallish, but very good horse, and the race in cologne wasnt run to suit as he needs a faster pace to be at his best. as it was his first run of the season he surely wasnt a 100% fit and i really think he shall be able to hold his own in international group1 races.

he said too that he took the ride on recommandation of olivier peslier, who was inititally booked to ride but was banned (or injured, cant´remember) but rated him so much that he convinced frankie to come over to germany for that one ride.

Can you give me an example (or 2) of where Midday has run to the mid 120s? I don't see it but could be seeing her form wrong.

Timeform figs Midday was awarded 125 for her run in the Oaks, 2010 Middleton and 2010 Yorkshire Oaks and 126 for this year's Middleton.

Back