Covid Vaccine

Would you take the Vaccine?

• No

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Yes

Votes: 22 95.7%

• Total voters
Presumably you were at the back of the queue for your ‘category’ Grassy. Surely you should’ve been getting your second jab now?

I had mine ten days ago and felt pretty rough (I’m 54). Mine was the Astra Zeneca. In case you’re wondering why I jumped the queue, a friend is our local triage nurse and was vaccinating the local adult care home. She had literally one spare dose and like many in her profession doesn’t want to waste any. As I live round the corner, she rang me to see if I wanted it. As my mother who I live with is deemed extremely vulnerable (she’s had her first jab too), friend thought it sensible to get me done early.
FWIW, I felt rubbish! Really achy and flu like symptoms. I took paracetamol but I was in bed for a couple of days so it did knock me out. And I am pretty fit and healthy. But it’s a small price to pay IMO.

I had mine ten days ago and felt pretty rough (I’m 54). Mine was the Astra Zeneca. In case you’re wondering why I jumped the queue, a friend is our local triage nurse and was vaccinating the local adult care home. She had literally one spare dose and like many in her profession doesn’t want to waste any. As I live round the corner, she rang me to see if I wanted it. As my mother who I live with is deemed extremely vulnerable (she’s had her first jab too), friend thought it sensible to get me done early.
FWIW, I felt rubbish! Really achy and flu like symptoms. I took paracetamol but I was in bed for a couple of days so it did knock me out. And I am pretty fit and healthy. But it’s a small price to pay IMO.

FWIW, I had the first AZ jab a couple of weeks ago with no side effects whatsoever. It would be interesting if, at some stage, they were able to do some research into the side effects and see if anything connects people who suffer most. I know there are preliminary indications that people who have had covid already seem to react worse to the jab but our small sample on here shows that there must be more than that to it.

My mum has had the Astra Zeneca jab.

She had a tiny headache the day afterwards, and a sore arm to touch or sleep on for 2 days. Apart from that nothing. My mums sister reported exactly the same.

It's clearly affecting different people in different ways, but still better than the alternative of no prevention at all.

Ps, thats a nice thing that nurse did for you, Jinny. It makes sense with your mum being vulnerable.

Last edited:
Having short-lived side effects after vaccination is actually a good thing as it indicates that your immune system is responding well to the vaccine

https://inews.co.uk/news/health/cov...jab-minor-reactions-symptoms-explained-877533

I'm 64 and have not yet been 'invited' but a friend of mine who's recently turned 65 is having hers next week, so I shouldn't have long to wait

Stats from the vaccine trials are all well and good but given their relatively small sample size must be treated with caution. Interesting times ahead as results gleaned on efficacy, duration and post-vaccination transmission rates from this now huge sample become available. Better times ahead too, hopefully

I hope she’s got one spare for your second one!

I'm scheduled for my first jab on Wednesday (South Lanarkshire).

It seems different authorities are moving at different speeds, at least up here. My sister-in-law, a year younger than me (West Dunbartonshire, I'm 65, she's 64 but she'll only admit to being 16 as her birthday is Feb 29! ) got hers a couple of weeks ago. I made enquiries and was told that the older population in South Lanarkshire is among the biggest in the country therefore it was taking them longer to work their way through the over-70s.

I also need to check if I can go ahead with it. I'm due an eye injection on Monday and need to know if that will cause an issue.

As for reactions, I usually get soreness and weakness around the site of the flu jab so i'm half-expecting a reaction of some sort. As I said earlier, I'll settle for it for the sake of getting the jab.

My arm was very sore after my flu jab but the covid one was painless and remained painless. What I have got though is a cold sore, something I’ve not had for a long time. Which shows that something is happening with my immune system. I had read that people having the Oxford vaccine had developed cold sores afterwards so I was half expecting it. I actually missed a phone call offering me a vaccine and was devastated so was over the moon to get a phone call the following week. In Israel there was in increase in infection amongst those that had had the vaccine but it has been attributed to people suddenly dropping their guard once vaccinated and a few weeks post vaccine the infection rate had gone right down amongst those vaccinated.

I have my first one on Wednesday next week, I'm under 60 but think they are taking other factors into account. Couldn't book the second one though, where friends who have had it in other areas, have been able to. Friends, family and colleagues who have had it have suffered no ill effects afterwards.

I’m counting the days to the 22nd day post vaccine when my immunity starts to kick in. Not that I’ll change my lifestyle in any way but I may not feel quite so panicky when a jogger or cyclist whizzes past me as I’m walking the dog.

I've been having a course of Chemo for several months now and will be starting another cycle shortly.
The hospital did advise me to have the vaccine but they are not really sure what effect the Chemo will have on it.

I've been having a course of Chemo for several months now and will be starting another cycle shortly.
The hospital did advise me to have the vaccine but they are not really sure what effect the Chemo will have on it.

My sister is having chemo and she has had it. They have told her it should have no effect at all, and she hasn't noticed any. Obviously every one can be different. Hope it all goes okay for you x

I have a friend that’s been treated for myeloma. I’m pretty sure he said he’d had the vaccine but don’t know where he is treatment wise: I know he was having chemo at one stage. I’ll try to find out more next time we have a chat. I know when I worked for the NHS we always asked people to have their flu jab before they started chemo.

Back