Curlin on Turf

LUKE

Senior Jockey
He has 6 opponents in the Man O War at Belmont on Saturday night.It will be interesting to see the betting on betfair-Steve Asmussen horses often attract strong and significant support.

Curlin_splash_page.jpg

Mentioned this in the Arc thread but probably worth a thread of it's own.

Takes on 6 including Red Rocks, Better Talk Now and the ex-French Sudan.

Interesting tidbit from the RP:

Curlin owner stopped steroids

Dan Farley

BIG BROWN is not the only high-profile horse this season to have been administered the steroid Winstrol after The New York Times reported that Curlin was also was getting the drug until majority owner Jesse Jackson discovered that was the case in Janaury and ordered trainer Steve Asmussen to end the practice.

"I'm trying to prove that Curlin is a real champion," said Jackson, "and that we can race horses into their four-year-old years and beyond. I want to show the industry that we can breed horses with stamina and durability, and race them clean."

Jackson also said last month that he would independently test all his more than 60 horses in training and that any trainer experiencing a positive test on one of those horses would be terminated.

Asmussen recently had one of his Texas-based horses, onenot owned by Jackson, test positive for lidocaine.

Jackson added: "I'm against all performance-enhancing drugs, or anything that masks or conceals designer drugs. I have been zero tolerance since the 1950s."

Well good on 'im, I kinda reckoned Curlin was the real deal.He gets serious weight allowances as it's his first time on Turf.

Last edited:
Prix Foy the fav so he gets a shot at going right-handed before he big day.

It's been a while since I've wanted a horse to win as badly as Curlin on Saturday. When was the last time a US champion came over for the Arc? Ven?

American horses in the Arc

I'm pretty certain it was the Hollywood Derby winner Intrepid Hero who was the last American trained horse to contest the Arc when 9th in 1975.

The last American champion to take part would have been the 3-y-o Tom Rolfe who ran sixth behind Sea Bird II in 1965.

But the last North American champion to run in it was the Northern Dancer horse, One For All, who ran ninth in 1971, having been the Canadian Turf champion the previous year.

Who was the last dirt champion to reproduce his form on turf.I would be inclined to lay him at odds on.

Surely the only time at which he will be odds-on or near it will be if he proves his ability to act on turf. He also has to prove he can go right-handed.

Only one that springs to mind is Lava Man, but I really can't think of many Grade 1 dirt winners who have tried.

Fingers crossed he wins and makes it to France - could really be exciting stuff if he takes to the turf

Probably, LUKE; hadn't thought about tommorrow though!

Given Red Rocks' persistent bleeding problems, perhaps he could be interesting tommorrow?

You planning on opposing Curlin, LUKE?

With the right noises from the owners and the European pecking order yet to fully sort itself out - 2/1?

A price that would have to be taken on.

Probably, LUKE; hadn't thought about tommorrow though!

Given Red Rocks' persistent bleeding problems, perhaps he could be interesting tommorrow?

You planning on opposing Curlin, LUKE?

I have been laying him at around the 4-6 mark this morning and the bets are getting matched fairly fast.

Back