Curlin on Turf

Fair play to them indeed, just gutted now about the non-Arc bid. He really would have added an extra element to the race.

Jason Weaver just said he was maybe for sale and to be trained there to pick up those prizes for the rest of the year, it would make sense but the owners might prefer to keep him - wonder what he would sell for, Weaver thought about $2 million
If he´s still an entire they must be on crack to sell him for $2m, more like $15m or so.

I have to say I was in fairly deep there -the shorter he went the more I laid him.He was 1.48 at the off.
One question about the race -they did the first 2 furlongs in 22 and change -would that be Group 1 standard for the first 2 furlongs of a European Group 1 sprint.

Probably not far off. To be honest I think Red Rocks' jockey totally outrode Curlin's in terms of where the best place to be was once the pace-setters hared off.

Although future plans were put on hold in the aftermath of the race, the immediate reaction was that of him deserving another opportunity on grass.

Asmussen said: "I don't want to rush to judgment. He was a step slow coming out of the gate. I wasn't surprised, as he had the outside draw. We'll just evaluate more thoroughly. We'll monitor his condition. He looked like he ran second to a Breeders' Cup winner."

His rider Robby Albarado added: "Obviously, he didn't grab me like he normally does. It wasn't an awful race. He was up against it with a couple of Breeders' Cup winners. His acceleration was a little different."

"He felt great, physically. He wasn't stressed or tired when I pulled him up. I would like to see him get another chance, another shot on turf. This is like a first race for him - a new chapter."

Fair play to them indeed, just gutted now about the non-Arc bid. He really would have added an extra element to the race.

Agree. It was sporting of them to give him a chance of turf. Think what a monster he would have been had he taken to that surface like he does to dirt! Does not detract form the wonderfulness (is this a word) of the horse for me though. Some horses, like Cigar, are just fierce on dirt and Curlin is one of them. I think he did very well.

And I am sad that this means we will not be seeing him in Europe.

Maybe the Arlington Million would be the race for him.He has nothing left to prove on dirt and a Group 1 turf victory would make him a sensational stallion prospect in America.I thought he ran respectably on Saturday just failing for a lack of stamina.

Is he entered in the Irish Champion Stakes?.

Have you had a word Luke? From the RP:

Leopardstown keen to welcome Curlin for Irish Champion Stakes

Jon Lees

OFFICIALS from Leopardstown racecourse will attempt to contact the connections of Curlin about the possibility of the American star racing in the Tattersalls Irish Champion Stakes.

Owner Jess Jackson mentioned the race as a possible option for the colt if he and trainer Steve Asmussen decide to persevere with a turf campaign in the wake of his Man o'War Stakes defeat by Red Rocks, a prospect that excited Leopardstown racecourse manager Tom Burke.

"I read about it, and we would be delighted if Curlin came over,” he said.

“Connections of the horse have not been in touch with us but, obviously, we will try and make contact with them about the matter."

Maybe the Arlington Million would be the race for him.He has nothing left to prove on dirt and a Group 1 turf victory would make him a sensational stallion prospect in America.I thought he ran respectably on Saturday just failing for a lack of stamina.

I would think that a second Breeders Cup Classic would be more valuable for his stallion prospects than a victory in something like the Arlington Million (though of course running in the Million doesn't necessarily mean not running in the Classic).

I don't think he failed due to a lack of stamina either tbh. He ran on to the line on Saturday night and proved fairly comprehensively to me in last year's Belmont that he gets the trip.

Fair play to you LUKE for laying him the other night. Hope you made a packet!

I did.The shorter he got the more I laid him-I was in as deep as I wanted to be.
I think Leopardstown will move heaven and earth to get him over.I would say that Cash Asmussen might have a part to play.

Irish Independent reports that the second round of entries are today and that he's "expected to be included for a fee of €28000".

I'm reliably informed that he wasn't entered at this week's stage but that there's another supplementary entry stage to come.

Oh, and Red Rocks is staying in the US.

Back