Current Standings In Jockey Title

Originally posted by prince regent@Oct 30 2007, 12:16 PM

do you by any chance have stats on which jockeys lose the most grp 1 races that they should have won on
Que?

Not particularly bothered by the jockey's title to be honest, and all the statistics tell me is that there's not a lot between them..

correct Trackside

fair points Hugh, I would think it's difficult getting the rides when everyone believes the JS hype and hands him all the best rides. the golden boy syndrome seems to be rife in this game..some gullible punters fall for it as well.

Seb has virtually no chance of winning now unless he starts riding 10/1 shots in at 3 times their actual market chance..not really likely

the jockeys championship is a bit of a misnomer

Hugh. welcome... I don't think anyone suggested that Seb's agent had been slacking, far from it! He'd have to be mustard, to get Seb - or any other top jock - into contention at all. I don't think most people realise how essential it is to a jockey's career, let alone chance of winning the title, to have a top agent.

Nevertheless, as you imply yourself, and for reasons I've pointed out above, Seb is at a severe disadvantage in the title race since he can't pick and choose his rides to anything like the extent JS can. Many of us will see him as the moral victor, whatever the outcome

Sassy Gal looks pretty strong for JS in the 6.50.

Ndola doesn't look good though in the 9.20, record in Class 7 = 1003- 101- 001604- 1- , but above that level = 0009.

I'm keen to lay the Curley hoss in the last as well.

Mind you I'm more keen on lumping on John Gosden's in the 2nd at Lingfield tomorrow.

Originally posted by chrisbeekracing@Oct 31 2007, 07:02 PM
I'm keen to lay the Curley hoss in the last as well.

Mind you I'm more keen on lumping on John Gosden's in the 2nd at Lingfield tomorrow.

has been working well with a good one so they say Chris

Been leading Raven's Pass and Legislation for most of the season.

Its not in their league but its fit, knows its job and this isn't exactly a tough looking all weather maiden. He isn't a long term prospect but should be up to winning this given he knows the time of day.

Originally posted by Headstrong@Oct 29 2007, 01:21 AM
Sanders is retained stable jockey to Sir Mark Prescott. Therefore he has to go to whichever meeting Sir Mark has runners at; and he has to ride everything in the stable, regardless of its ability, state of readiness etc etc. It's hardly a level playing field, is it.

Why would that be a disadvantage if the aim was just to ride the most winners? Prescott will often have only one or two runners at the lesser meetings throughout the summer leaving Sanders often the pick of the runners in the other races while Spencer would be plying his trade at the big meetings in very competitive races at the likes of Royal Ascot and Epsom.

Originally posted by Dante+Nov 1 2007, 09:40 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Dante @ Nov 1 2007, 09:40 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Headstrong@Oct 29 2007, 01:21 AM
Sanders is retained stable jockey to Sir Mark Prescott. Therefore he has to go to whichever meeting Sir Mark has runners at; and he has to ride everything in the stable, regardless of its ability, state of readiness etc etc. It's hardly a level playing field, is it.

Why would that be a disadvantage if the aim was just to ride the most winners? Prescott will often have only one or two runners at the lesser meetings throughout the summer leaving Sanders often the pick of the runners in the other races while Spencer would be plying his trade at the big meetings in very competitive races at the likes of Royal Ascot and Epsom. [/b][/quote]
It's the not knowing that can damage your cause in situations like this. When Jamie's agent looks at the six-day entries when they are first shown on the Weatherby's screen, he can make his own decision within minutes about where he is going to send his man.

If you are a retained jockey, your stable may have entries at 3 or 4 different meetings, including horses entered in more than one race. Of course, that doesn't stop agents ringing other trainers up before you know for sure - we all have to do it - but it doesn't make life any easier. If a trainer sees that a jockey's retained stable has four or five horses entered at course X, it can be hard to convince them that they won't run and that he is likely to go to course Y, especially if another top jockey is available. It's even more tricky when your jockey is the number 2 retained for a yard and you're waiting on decisions as to where the number one is going too!

I suspect that SMPs yard is amongst the more organised and Seb will know sooner than most retained jockeys where he is likely to be, but there isn't a yard in the country that doesn't sometimes leave decisions until shortly before declarations because of a wish to check out the likely strength of opposition (the Weatherby's website shows exactly how many horses have been declared, updated every 5 mins, on the morning of declarations, and you can usually tell by looking at which horses are jocked up exactly who is running).

Hugh

Thanks for explaining all that, I might have been hasty in judging the poor bloke, looks like it's a difficult job to me.

Seb is riding well at the moment, getting them home against the odds again today.

Seb is riding the best at the moment, he only has to sustain this form and he can pass JS. JS usually gets a winner at wolves and even that has desrted up to press.

I wouldn't like to call it .. a very tight finish lined up ove the next week

I hope it's Cragganmore Creek, since I've backed it!

Did get Seb's winner - the forecast rather :P Listening to audio commentary, Seb very happy acc the race-reader, eps as Fandangerina was one for the boss and for Kirsten Rausing who is such a big supporter of their yard.

Lead down to 3 again now... It's a real nail-biter isn't it? I must say given the work the two have been putting in over the last few weeks, neither deserves to lose; but I'm in the Seb camp, as he's never done it before

I hope that SEB gets it I have been a fan of his for a few years now and feel that he deserves the rewards and accolades associated with this championship......A genuine sort of guy....................

Both jockeys are really riding out of their skins at the moment and it must be both physically and mentally draining on them both especially with the gap closing again. Both must avoid any further bans at such a crucial time.

I would dearly love Seb to pull this off.

I don't know about both riding out of their skin, I thought JS was terrible this evening, thats not talking through my pocket as I only backed his ride in the last, but after his earlier rides laid it all off as I was 100% he would sit at the back, then have absolutely no chance at all of winning.

spencer had a good lot of rides today, all at the head of the market virtually, no wins..one more ride today in a tough looking race.

seb is surely now fav for title...then again :dork:

Back