David Bowie RIP

I'd say Clive has picked out the better ones, albeit I'd add Rebel Rebel to the list

Not sure Lets Dance would make a top-40 to be honest. I thought it was pants

Last edited:
I have to say that too. It's horribly plodding and whilst moe is right that niles was involved it's far far away from the pure wonder of the sound of chic.

golden years is a nice one too

Some folks on here really don't get the tone or gist of posts do they.....

I wasn't saying Lets Dance was his best, I asked the rest of the forum, older and wiser heads, etc. And people who are actually fit to critique the man (clearly not me).

I had hundreds of UK House/Garage records in the late 90's and went on Pirate Radio, you can ask me about that if you want, but definitely not David Bowie.

I was just saying I personally found Lets Dance appealing for reasons I can't put down on paper (although I did try earlier)..

Cheers.

Last edited:
An undoubtedly great artist/song-writer, but was pretty-much exhausted creatively 30 years ago.

Leaves a rich legacy though.

Utter bollix. His last two albums have been works of art. He is simply the greatest music artist we will ever have in our generation.

I was luck enough to be at his last ever gig in Glasgow in 2003. Its was the greatest 3 hours of music.

Can you guys and girls form a consensus on what you think was the best song he wrote?

My mam liked him, Ground Control To Major Tom was her favourite.

I have always liked Lets Dance and have requested it when attending older places/pubs (I'm 30), I can't think why... but its something about the intro, the bass power, and if I remember rightly one or two other artists down the years sampled that track.

Appreciate any answers, cheers.

Personally Five Years is my favourite. Moonage Daydream. Sorrow. Young Americans. Heroes. There is no one song. He constantly changed. There are very few days were I don't listen to a Bowie track. His only **** recording was Dancing in the Street with Jagger.

Some folks on here really don't get the tone or gist of posts do they.....

I wasn't saying Lets Dance was his best, I asked the rest of the forum, older and wiser heads, etc. And people who are actually fit to critique the man (clearly not me).

I had hundreds of UK House/Garage records in the late 90's and went on Pirate Radio, you can ask me about that if you want, but definitely not David Bowie.

I was just saying I personally found Lets Dance appealing for reasons I can't put down on paper (although I did try earlier)..

Cheers.

The Lets Dance album is very much of its time and doesn't travel as well as older stuff. Its very much a Niles Rodgers album. Great at the time and a huge seller - but basically its just pop. Good pop - but just pop.

Pity that Lulu recorded the Man Who Saved the World; can't get her version out of my head.

He collected a lot of paintings I believe; made a programme about Balthus once [or was certainly interviewed in it]. I told my daughters art teacher that I liked Balthus and he looked at me in horror [as one would].

Don't know about the best song he wrote, but came across this earlier which I had never heard before, obviously heard the song, just not like this

Last edited:
And I know its probably not the best but this bring back memories for me and its something I always seem to sing along to without realising when it comes on the radio!

I remember the last 3 day Cheltenham festival-2003.After a great week I went out with some good mates on the Friday afternoon-the landlord played Bowie ,the drink flowed and I had the DT's that night.
Great music.

Watched that; danced around the kitchen a bit and cried a lot. Just read a review of Black Star that was in Saturdays Independent which refers [obviously] to the lyrics and it's so surreal to now understand what he was actually writing about. Going to crash out and play Black Star now; it'll be really weird listening to it.

Just seen the video for Lazarus. A performance artist to the end.

Good stuff: a splendidly tortured primal/final scream. Is Narnia his idea of heaven? I'd like to think so, as that final scene is a big nod thataway

Beware those Ghouls, Ogres, Wolves, Cruels, Hags, Incubuses, Wraiths, Horrors, Efreets, Sprites, Orknies, Wooses, and Ettins...or maybe not

Narnia would be a bit chilly just wearing pyjamas. Hope there were some fur coats in that wardrobe.

He'll be best remembered for riding Mick Jagger in my mind.

What kind of mind have you got?!

Anyway, Bowie is the number 1 cultural influence in my life bar none. That said, the amount of bollocks circulating on social media from people who never met him will soon send me to the vomitarium.

His three best songs were 1. Bewlay Brothers, 2. Drive in Saturday 3. Rock and Roll suicide. End of, discussion closed.

Back