Departures 2009

Thanks krizon,

It was near the end of the race & he looked very tired so it could be he took a while to get up.

Oh such a shame, I know the Sayers quite well and he was bought not long after they lost their farm to F&M, Hence how he got his name. It was quite horrific being at the farm at the time, their cows lay dead in the yard for almost a week, and all that time they were still giving birth as they were dead of course calves were stillborn :(

Oh such a shame, I know the Sayers quite well and he was bought not long after they lost their farm to F&M, Hence how he got his name. It was quite horrific being at the farm at the time, their cows lay dead in the yard for almost a week, and all that time they were still giving birth as they were dead of course calves were stillborn :(

Sounds dreadful. Are they restocking or do they have to keep the farm sterile for a period of time ?

They restocked, but not to such an extent and went more heavily into horses, I'm sure she has a full licence now for flat also whereas she only had a permit before. Well you'd have to ask a farmer if it is officially calveing but the calves were coming out.

SLATE GEM - smashing grey 4 y.o. gelding from Paul Nicholls' yard at Taunton in the Nervous Hurdle. Only his second outing, having won his first at Fontwell in May this year. He pitched forward, bulldozing the ground with his nose for ages, then went down, then lay flat, looking badly winded. Matt Chapman did a good job of updating on him, advising that although he finally got up, he was unable to put any weight on one of his legs (didn't say which) and was eventually pts. Has to be a huge shame - this was a nice Irish-bred with what should have been an exciting future.

Three Mirrors, after being pulled up in the Paddy Power with a fractured stifle, gutted, really loved this horse, hasn't been the best of late but I always thought he'd pull off something spectacular one of these days, sadly not to be now:(

Yes, my thoughts, too, NA. I've been very fond of him for ages. He seemed to have been reluctant to race the last few times, especially today, when he looked completely out of sorts from the start. Perhaps the stifle was already starting to niggle him - who knows. Another sad loss.

Grand theatre broke a shoulder at Newcastle

Gracechurch injured a leg

Apparently Elite lost a horse on alan kings gallops called celcius but no record of him on the RP as he was unraced

Three Mirrors, after being pulled up in the Paddy Power with a fractured stifle, gutted, really loved this horse, hasn't been the best of late but I always thought he'd pull off something spectacular one of these days, sadly not to be now:(

Very sad to see how long it took to put him down. They were waiting for extra covers and then made him walk five or six steps to be nearer the horse ambulance. I presume he was put down there and then but it took far too long, just to make sure the public didn't see.

I may be wrong but I htink they lost a horse in the charity race today at Cheltenham. One of the runners went down like a stone about 2 furlongs out like it had broken a front leg and fired the poor pilot into the ground. I didn't find out any update - anyone else any idea?

They announced over the tannoy when they were doing the presentation that both horse and rider were OK - also, I spoke to a chap next to the winners enclosure and he said that the horse got up and was led away. I was amazed ..

Its the bizarre nature of falls though isn't it?

A sickening heavy fall results in a horse getting up & walking away yet another may stumble over a hurdle not even falling & yet they end up breaking a leg or something.

Thanks, Alders. Yes, there's no rhyme or reason, it seems, to how some just pick themselves up after the most ghastly-looking tumbles and carry on, often racing the pack and even tanking home 'first', bless them.

It looked to me like the horse in the charity race put its foot in a large hole. Wasn't it on the hurdles course without the hurdles? Could it have put a foot in the hole where the hurdle went in? About the right distance out. Went down so quick it didn't look like a break but gave the jock some fright I'd say.

Thats what I was hoping but no word on it sadly. Hope both horse and rider are ok as they went with some force.

Back