Departures 2010

Harvey Smith. In the days when all the top riders were the originals and not their off-spring. Whittakers, Skelton, that woman whose name I can never remember Ann ?. That would be about early to mid 70's when the beeb covered such sports. I still tune in on occasion but it's on Sky now. Mind you I was only a teen then and harboured thoughts of one day...Wasn't to be. Last time I was on a horse I fell off and knocked myself out. I was in my 30's. Last thought was: oh no. Not again. Seemed to spend more time on the ground then anywhere else. Still hanker for another go but arthritic hips and expanding waistline means they haven't made the horse for me. They'd run a country mile and I'd fall off again :)
Thought I'd book a session when I'm in Kentucky as I always fancied long stirrup riding. The horses there might be used to be puddings on their back. Failing that I'll do my usual with a bag of carrots and a pack of polo mints.

Not Anne but are you thinking of Caroline Bradley?

No. Definitely Ann. Little short woman. Need to do some research. Remember she had a huge big horse. Looked really incongruous.
You're made of sterner stuff Shadow Leader. It's about 15/16 years since I was last on a horse. I'd feel like a Thelwell kid now. All thundering heels and going knowhere fast!

That's it. Well done. There were others. The fickle finger (all that's left) of the memory is playing tricks. Will google later to remind myself. Thanks again.

A toy model of WHAT? My mind is racing with images... !

Yes, she was a funny little short-arse, wasn't she? Turtle, you'll love the American saddles - they hold you in, the seat's as wide as an armchair (not that I'm implying anything!), and the cantle rises to kind of envelope you so that you can't roll off! You really must try that out when you go to the US. I think we'll hear you yeehawing with happiness!

Went to Hickstead last year - amazing place - but more importantly going back there this year for the 50th Anniversary and there will be a parade of past (human) champions.

Got close to the Boomerang Trophy too - HUGE! (and heavy!)

Pat Smythe with PRINCE HAL (elegant chestnut gelding) and TOSCA ('vibrant' grey mare) - which horse-mad girl didn't have pix of those on their bedroom walls? I had 'Jump for Joy', one of a few books Pat wrote, and had the huge pleasure of being billetted at her house with other brats for a month, on a riding hols in 1956. We got to sit at dinner with her, in awe of the occasion and the smart international types who were talking about popping over to Ireland to buy their jumpers (not woolly ones!). Her rather mannish, no-nonsense secretary, Paddy Bury, kept in touch with me for a few years with the odd post card to say what the dogs were doing. It was a lovely time, and still fairly unfaded in my memory - particularly digging out the ponies' old stables to lay new bedding. I don't think it had been changed in years, unlike the snooty showjumpers, who had the finest attentions paid them. But the little rough ponies didn't seem to object to living in deep litter - although I hadn't been exposed to such depth of stinky stuff before. It did my sinuses the world of good!

I know we're wandering off subject here, but I know you guys will appreciate how in awe I was of Peter Robeson and Grebe when I found them in the collecting ring at Bennington Three Counties show August bank holiday weekend 1976.

Grebe, ridden by Peter Robeson, was part of the British Team on twelve occasions helping to win the Nations Cup six times. His individual successes included the 1972 Grand Prix in Palermo and the Championship in Barcelona, 1974 Everest Double Glazing at Wembley.

Originally called Pharvish, born in 1963, a chestnut gelding, by Even Money out of Oxonian Girl (by Oxonian). He raced in three hurdles races, falling twice!
Oxonian Girl went on to create a dynasty of good pure bred TB show jumpers: Pix, 1967 was the only other one to have raced. Other offspring were Cockatiel, 1969; Waxswing, 1970 (won Nations Cups); Grouse, 1973; Bushlark, 1975; Dunnock, 1976. Information kindly supplied by Mrs Robeson http://www.ror.org.uk/hall.htm

So when his groom threw his reins at me and asked me to walk him round the collecting ring while she went to get Mrs R some fags, I was in 7th heaven! LOL

Great story, Raksha. So many 'heroes' to us kids - human and equine.

(Yes, sorry for the departure from departures!)

I'm quite enjoying reading about this, is it possible a mod could put the showjumping posts into a separate thread?

It would be nice to carry on with the topic etc

Alfathaa, put down at Stansted Airport. This is horrific...

From the RP:

TRAINER Michael Dods and one of his principal owners, Andrew Tinkler, have suffered a major blow after Alfathaa, who had yet to run for his new connections, had to be destroyed en route to taking part in the Dubai Carnival.

The five-year-old gelding, purchased for 78,000gns at Tattersalls Horses-In-Training Sale in October by Tinkler, chief executive officer of haulage firm Eddie Stobart, broke a leg after going berserk in his horsebox while waiting to be loadedon to a British Airways plane at Stansted airport.

Firemen were called and Alfathaa was eventually freed, but owing to the severityof his injury he was put down.

A vet was in attendance during the incident last Friday, as were members of Dods' staff travelling with the son of Nayef.

Alfathaa, who was previously trained by William Haggas for Hamdan Al Maktoum, won a 1m maiden at Newbury as a juvenile and finished 15th behind Henrythenavigator in the 2,000 Guineas in 2008.

Dods said on Tuesday: "It is a big blow, but I need to check on what time the vet arrived because what I'm being told, and what I'm getting on the report, are totally different.

"There are certain things we are looking into to see that everything was covered, as there are some things we are not happy with.We just want to get the full details really."

A spokesman for Stansted airport said: "I can confirm the horse in question was flying out to Dubai in a British Airways 747 freighter on Friday.

"The plane was due to leave Stansted about 1.15pm, but before then we got a call saying there was an incident with a horse prior to it arriving at the cargo facility, so it was in a landside area of the airport.

"Our fire service attended, but details of what they actually did are not clear at the moment."

A horrid situation for all involved with putting him onto the plane. At Lingfield, Taffy Salaman's INDY DRIVER fractured his off-fore in two places and was pts.

A horrid situation for all involved with putting him onto the plane. At Lingfield, Taffy Salaman's INDY DRIVER fractured his off-fore in two places and was pts.
Pity as Mrs Regalado-Gonzales had only fairly recently transferred him from the Fanshawe stable and would have been a marquee owner for the yard. Taffy has handed the licence on to son Matthew btw.

That's a shame for the yard, then. I think she's been in to Lingers when I've been on duty, and I'm dreading the day she turns up with Mette Adenaeas-Campbell - they're two surnames that defeat me!

Well, he was old, but he'd only had 35 starts in his 13 years, so not a lot of miles on the clock. Nice grey horse, glad I don't have RUK so didn't see the fatality.

I saw the reference on RP online to say they'd omitted the fence on the second circuit due to 'the stricken horse'. Fair play to RUK and ATR, too - the replays take into account the sensitivities of connections and remove the horrors as much as is possible.

Back