Departures 2010

Sad news. Not very quick but honest and game.

By a strange coincidence I was on course when he won his only two races under rules. I was thinking of approaching connections to see if they wanted to adopt me and make sure I was present for all his runs.

The ups and downs of jump racing once again at Doncaster yesterday.

After Kalahari Kings great return the stable lost Cardinal Spirit in the 4 miler.

Cruel as it may sound, whoever first said 'livestock is deadstock' was very wise. It so often happens quickly and without any warning, to the healthiest of animals.

I personally don't think that's cruel SL. It's one of the most frank and honest saying's there is. I'm not cold hearted, far far from it but it goes hand in hand with each other. We have lost animals here, including horses and yes it rips the heart of you but sadly it is inevitable that it is going to happen at times.

Sadly lost Red Moloney at Musselburgh today. Waiting for news on his stable mate Striking Article who pulled up very sore, finger's crossed it's not as bad as it looked.

I dunno about 'very wise' or even remotely cruel, it's just stating the bleedin' obvious - everything that has a life, including us, ends up dead! I haven't heard of any other outcome, however it happens.

Gutted...

Striking Article was PTS after breaking down badly at Musselburgh today. Sad for all at JHJ :(

gutted :( thats my mates horse and last night was upset he would lose him to a claim, don't think he thought he would lose him altogether. he is devestated

Very sad news, commiserations to all connections of both horses. Was at Musselburgh today and feared the worst for Red Moloney but hoped all would be well with Striking Article.

RIP Red Moloney and Striking Article

Very sorry for your friend's loss, LE, especially as the worst he imagined was that the horse might move.

gutted :( thats my mates horse and last night was upset he would lose him to a claim, don't think he thought he would lose him altogether. he is devestated

Hi LE. That's how I found out, via his lad. I was chatting to him Saturday via networking about the claim worry and all that then this went and bloody happened. Couldn't believe it when he told me ....:( Hope G bounces back soon, poor fella.

GOOD PARADE, 7 y.o. mare in the 2.10 chase at Southwell today. The RP states that she blundered, which she did, her jockey coming down pretty hard. She then looked to have crashed into the rails on the far side, but at that point she went out of shot as the camera followed the leaders. When they passed her for the final run-in, the poor girl was prone under a covering of sheets, so either she had a heart attack, which might've been the reason she 'blundered', or the vet was particularly trigger-happy. Not a promising record, with just one 3rd from 20+ runs, but sad all the same.

Wasn't Striking Article badly lame after his previous run at Wetherby after winning a handicap off 130? He then turns up 4 months later in a claiming chase with a price tag which gives him upwards of 20 lbs in hand, yet he still goes off odds against prior to breaking down with fatal consequences. Such a sequence of events, whilst I'd stop a long way short of suggesting what happened could be predicted, it hardly comes as a shock.

RIP Striking Article. You deserved better.

Speaking of connections & the like

I wonder how the connections of the original ill fated Carlito Brigante feel when a horse with the same name is running less than 10yrs after their CB was killed in action,

Would you name your horse the same way?

Really? I would've thought that the original's might've been contacted by Weatherbums and asked if they minded. He's not registered in another country, is he? There can be the same names registered in the UK and France, for example, so is this such a case? But I think there's a time limit after which you can use previous names for another horse, although there's apparently a permanent block on ARKLE and other outstanding horses. Not on BOOK OF MUSIC, of course, who was registered after the death of the original, too.

It is the breeding situation with the previous CB having the GB suffix and the current one IRE.

It's based on where the horse is born Kri - the horse that passed away was "Carlito Brigante(GB)" whilst this is "Carlito Brigante(IRE)". If the Gigginstown Stud version had been born in Great Britain they wouldn't have been allowed to use the name "Carlito Brigante" for a period of time (think it's 25 years after it last ran or 25 years after the horse has passed away).

It seems to vary, depending upon how famous a racehorse was/is. I was told that in some cases if the horse whose name you wish to use was a gelding, and is deceased, not a grade one winner, you can have the name in ten years.

Broodmares who are still breeding or have offsping racing have a longer timeline, as do sires of course.

Last time I was checking they were beginning to make all names of the Oaks/Derby etc protected as well as famous racehorses such as Arkle and Golden Miller. Some do slip through the net though.

IMG_23581small.jpg

On Sunday morning my "Bungle" died after a suffering severe attack of colic.

Only five, such a brave, strong and beautiful horse, full of life and character, and always so happy.

He's gone, my mate, and I miss him so much.

Back