Departures 2010

Oh, that is very bad news. Gone in his first attempt at chasing. That one should've had a good future. Not that wee FINOON shouldn't, either, of course. Did FIERY LORD survive his crash there, too? We could see he'd fallen and was struggling to rise, the race caller said he was on his feet, then were told on the last circuit that he might be still down.

Last edited:
Anhar broke a leg and had no chance of being saved in an horrific incident 2f out at Ascot today. What was most distressing about it was that of the many people that were down there, nobody saw fit to grab hold of his reins and stop him running about. It was disgusting.

Sounds ghastly, Shadz. Loss of two nice horses - SURUOR pts after two fractures of off-fore, ANHAR also leg injuries following losing action and stumble.

By the way, anyone in Ireland able to follow up on Colm Murphy's second-time-out STELLAR STAR in the NHF on the 22nd, please? She looked to go wrong behind, might've just been a slipped stifle coming off the bend, or pelvis. Nice little mare, went off Fav, be a shame if she's lost.

Isn't it too sad - all those hopes of horses starting on NH careers, and TTP never getting past the Bumper. Jeez, some heavy hearts this week.

SNOWY, the nice grey chaser, retired after coming 4th in his 'Snowy's Farewell' chase at Kelso today. Sadly, COOLNAHARAN broke his off-hock in the same chase, after sprawling badly, and was destroyed.

Safin, Sue Bradburne's chaser, had to be destroyed after sustaining injuries when the horsebox he was in hit a low bridge on a diversion to Hexham. Sue was driving and distraught that her error caused the smash. Only travelling at 5mph at the time, but impact caused box partitions to collapse, gashing the geldings legs so severely he couldn't be saved.

Former Grade 1 placed hurdler Outre Mer Fix was PTS as a result of injuries sustained during a claiming hurdle at Auteuil yesterday :(

If the bridge didn't have its height indicated, I imagine the owners could sue for compensation from the Highways Agency, couldn't they? If they wanted to, of course. Horse had a mixed career - still running in Flat handicaps and only one chase, in which he fell.

From this month's TB Owner & Breeder:

First, the permanent goodbyes: CELTIC SWING aged 18; LE GLORIEUX aged 26 (damsire of BIG BUCK'S); GOLDNEYEV aged 24 (latterly based in France); LOMITAS aged 22 (noted elsewhere, I think); HADIF aged 24 (1988 Cornwallis, based at Valor Farm, Tx); GREINTON aged 29 (triple Grade 1 winner in US); HORUS aged 15 (put David Pipe on the PTP map, won valuable staying h'cap chases).

Then, movements (not including those mentioned elsewhere on the forum): PRINCE FLORI, Group 1 winner, retired at 7 to stand at Gestut Ohlenweiherhof, nr Karlsruhe; TAKE THE POINTS, dual US Grade 1 winner retired after leg injury, off to stud; PURE CLAN, 5 y.o. retired and sold - she won two Grade 1s and chased home MIDDAY in the 2009 Breeders' Cup Fillies & Mares Turf; CLOSING ARGUMENT, leading second-crop sire is switched from Hill 'n' Dale Farms to Ro Parra's Millennium Farms in Kentucky; KINGMAMBO, Lane's End stallion is being retired from stud; LORD SHANAKILL, retired to stand at Irish National Stud; MIDSHIPMAN, US champion 2 y.o. and Breeders' Cup winner retired and will stand at Darley's Jonabell Farm in Kentucky next year; EQUIANO, two-time winner of King's Stand Stakes is retired aged 5, due to a setback which ruled him out of the Prix de l'Abbaye.

PHAR LAP (yes, honestly!): the legend's skeleton, on display in the Melbourne Museum, is expected to attract 350,000 visitors in the run-up to the Melbourne Cup.

I was fortunate enough to see Phar Lap's skeleton at the wonderful Te Papa museum in Wellington earlier this year.

He was a seriously big horse.

Orangeleg was put down after breaking down in the last at the sandpit, so I'm told. Shame, it looked as though it might be a tendon and he could be saved.

Apparently on his way to win, too, Shadz - I'm saddened to hear that as I know him from my locals, poor mite.

No, it didn't look good for her - looked to be very lame as she got up and then ambulances next time round, but the RP merely says she fell. I'll hope she was saveable and went off in the Equisave, not the knacker van.

Back