Departures 2010

The talented Mourne Rambler escaped the course after falling at the last at Leopardstown on the 29th and had to be put down after being struck by a car.

ANDREW BALDING has called time on the career of the talented but injury prone Briareus, who won prize-money at both Royal Ascot and the Cheltenham Festival.
Owned and bred by Emma Lambourne and her partner Nick Ovett, who represented Britain inthe Luge at the Calgary and Albertville winter Olympic Games, Briareus had been troubled by tendon and other problems to his legs.
He won half a dozen races, highlighted by a 14 length success in Wincanton's Grade 2 Kingwell Hurdle in 2006. He was also successful later that year in a Grade 2 novices chase at Ascot.
Balding told racingpost.com on Sunday: "Briareus is a very talented horse and has a good record, but unfortunately he has had leg problems and that's the reason why he has been so lightly raced in recent seasons."
The trainer, who hopes to keep the ten-year-old at Kingsclere as a hack, added:" He picked up prize-money at Royal Ascot and the Cheltenham Festival, in a Duke of Edinburgh Stakes and the Champion Hurdle, and not many horses do that."
He had failed to complete the course in three starts since finishing fourth to Kauto Star in the 2008 King George VI Chase.
A problem reoccurred at the corresponding Kempton meeting last month, where he was pulled up in the Desert Orchid Chase.

Yes, big shame about that - very odd, too. He just went arse over tit when running a terrific race, looking about to start a challenge from the inside rail. Only his third race, and he was very promising with his first two. He looked very smartly presented with his plaited mane, so I imagine his handler was devastated. You take that much care with your horse, he goes beautifully and kindly, and then that. Wretched stuff.

Do you commemorate only those who died in the field or do you also include those that had the chance of graceful retirement and then succombed to age and infirmity?

Also those who just retire, full stop. It's nice to catch up with who's gone where and when - sometimes you miss a notice in the RP or on tv, and when a horse isn't particularly famous, it just never gets mentioned. For example, some of us know when a good old boy has left the stage, because we're told by his owner or trainer, so we can say that here and then everyone knows where he is. It beats that 'where are they now?' thing, whenever possible. So it's certainly not just for those who've died.

Speaking of which, Granny's Pet died on monday aged 16yrs (Colic)

Digital & Malapropism have both been retired

Just announced on C4 that Shamari collapsed in the stable yard after his fall in the Lanzarote. He looked a little stiff walking back but nothing worse than that. And then connections go and win the next. Ups and downs of our great sport.

Just announced on C4 that Shamari collapsed in the stable yard after his fall in the Lanzarote. He looked a little stiff walking back but nothing worse than that. And then connections go and win the next. Ups and downs of our great sport.

thought it was more than a bit stiff. had a horrible feeling then but was still shocked when I heard that he acutally did die :(

I so admired the way that Too Forward won today. Told everyone: not bad for a 14 year old. Must be the oldest horse running. Too say I'm gutted at news of his death is an understatement. As while I was saying these things at the time of the win I did wonder beforehand why a 14 year old is still out there slogging? Well, he's dead. No happy green fields. RIP Too Forward.

THE NEWSMAN still kept chasing, mostly at Fontwell Park, which he loved, into his 14th year, TF, and there was no sense at all that he was still 'out there slogging'. His owners tried to retire him to happy green fields and he was bored witless - kept playing up and squealing every time the box left without him. He loved his racing and, although he retired sound from it eventually, if he'd had his way he'd have gone on into his 20s. Since we don't know TOO FORWARD's story, I can't say that he was the same, but most folks don't keep an oldie going unless the horse wants it, and most horses soon indicate when they've had enough, no matter their age.

I eat humble pie. Still learning about race horses. I have read about horses who refuse to retire as they like to race but it was a total shock when I read about his demise.

I so admired the way that Too Forward won today. Told everyone: not bad for a 14 year old. Must be the oldest horse running. Too say I'm gutted at news of his death is an understatement. As while I was saying these things at the time of the win I did wonder beforehand why a 14 year old is still out there slogging? Well, he's dead. No happy green fields. RIP Too Forward.

Aww your kidding :( my old housemate looked afer him she went to live abroad but missed 1 horse so much she came back I thought she was loony:lol: at least he went out on a high, don't think you can blame any connections theres plenty of horses in their teens still racing and he hasn't exactly had a hard life, 42 races in 10 years is around 4 races per year

Sorry, Turtle, didn't want to sound all preachy there! But you'd be surprised how many oldsters keep on and on, both over the sticks and on the Flat. When you ask their connections about them, they say so often they've tried to retire them, but they just hate the quiet life! Since they're bred for a specific job (unlike - yet! - humans), they may as well then carry on doing it for as long as it's not harming them and they still want to get in the horsebox and onto the track. It's a bit like the acting profession - think how so many of them go on from being young and lovely to grizzled old performers in old age. Many horses do truly love a platform on which to show themselves off. It's the same with showjumpers, too: they're positively lit up when they get into the ring, and in their case, they're considered youngsters at age 7 or 8!

(Apologies if you're into showjumping and know this already!) :D

I like 'my' older horses. Always back Genlands Woodpower and did today. He ran a blinder. I was truly taken aback yesterday. But would prefer that the death was quick unlike some of those that we see. Too Forward was a stalwart.
Used to follow the show jumping back in the day.

How far back in the day, TF? Pat Smythe and the flying d'Inzeos, or Harvey Smith? That's another big plus about showjumping - the riders can keep going until they're drawing their bus passes, along with their horses! Even when they semi-retire, they're busy schooling on both younger horses and riders for the future. Great business if you have the backing money for it.

Harvey Smith. In the days when all the top riders were the originals and not their off-spring. Whittakers, Skelton, that woman whose name I can never remember Ann ?. That would be about early to mid 70's when the beeb covered such sports. I still tune in on occasion but it's on Sky now. Mind you I was only a teen then and harboured thoughts of one day...Wasn't to be. Last time I was on a horse I fell off and knocked myself out. I was in my 30's. Last thought was: oh no. Not again. Seemed to spend more time on the ground then anywhere else. Still hanker for another go but arthritic hips and expanding waistline means they haven't made the horse for me. They'd run a country mile and I'd fall off again :)
Thought I'd book a session when I'm in Kentucky as I always fancied long stirrup riding. The horses there might be used to be puddings on their back. Failing that I'll do my usual with a bag of carrots and a pack of polo mints.

Arthritic hips haven't managed to stop me - and one of mine's metal as well as arthritic! Just keep popping the painkillers and you'll be grand....I ride out every day now!

Back