Derby weekend at the Curragh

• Thread starter Thread starter Gearoid
  • Start date Start date
G

Gearoid

Just starting to look through the entries for the weekend. While the main action is at the Curragh there is nothing like warming up for the weekend with an evening card at Tipperary on Thursday. The opening maiden sees a real eye-catcher and market mover on his first run entered up in. Tommy Stack's New Emperor:

Tommy Stack´s newcomer Nero Emperor came here with a bit of a reputation and it wasn´t totally dashed. Racing keenly while getting a bit of cover, he had to try to come through a small enough gap to challenge a furlong or so out but couldn´t quite go through with his effort. He may benefit from a more positive ride as he doesn´t appear to be short of speed.

Perfect Godess second to Aaraas at Naven last time will be the one to beat. I've still no idea how I collected on Aaraas that day as he looked beat on the run in and in the photo. Perfect Godess was second also to the well regarded French Emperor (3rd when very well backed to Richard Hannon's Libourne Lad in a listed race).

There are three newcomers currently entered up in the race from Ger Lyons, Mick Halford and Kevin O'Donnell stable but they are going to need to be very smart to get involved. Of the two I believe Perfect Godess's form is the best on offer my qute a bit but another move in the market for Nero Emeror would be respected. If only one of the two runs I'd be looking to get on at the first show in the morning.

Last edited:
INVESTEC DERBY sixth Recital will not be part of Aidan O'Brien's Dubai Duty Free Irish Derby squad on Sunday, but Abu Dhabi Irish 2,000 Guineas winner Roderic O'Connor could represent the trainer, who is bidding for his sixth straight win in the race.

Nine horses, including the Queen's Derby third Carlton House, were left in the Curragh Classic on Tuesday, but Recital was not among them.

He was 4-1 with Paddy Power and Stan James for the race, but O'Brien's wife Annemarie tweeted on Tuesday: "We weren't 100 per cent happy with Recital this morning so he will not run in the Derby on Sunday. Roderic O'Connor will be left in the race and is a possible to run instead."
Sent off the shortest priced of O'Brien's four Derby runners, Recital finished behind stablemates Treasure Beach and Memphis Tennessee, but in front of Seville.
That trio were all left in the Irish Derby, along with Roderic O'Connor, who failed to fire in Prix du Jockey Club last time.
Native Khan, fifth at Epsom, could also bring some Derby form into the race. ( Racing Post )

The ground at the Curragh is now good to ylding (Rnd trak) and ylding (Straight trak). 6.7mm rain on Tuesday.

Perfect Goodess the only of the two I mentioned in the opening post running in the opener tomorrow. I'll be taking the first price available tomorrow and am very confident she will be too good for them.

It's bound to be on the yielding/soft side of good. They won't want to say that for fear of putting off some of the travelling runners. Did you hear Dunlop's head lad on ATR, 'the Curragh is a quick drying track'. Arf! Pull the other one Mr Hensey.

The horse was most disappointing at Epsom but Seville will be really suited to a proper test at The Curragh. Why he was anchored at the back at Epsom I don't know. The Dante form was franked at Ascot so I have to believe he's better than he showed in our Derby.

Anyone got a view on the pretty polly? I know Midday turned over Snow Fairy last year but I can't help thinking that 5/2 is too big about a four time group 1 winner. She has also beaten the boys already, something Midday hasn't done and she could well have improved from 3 to 4. She certainly maintained her improvement last year.

I'm gonna take the favourite on.

You'd have to wonder about Snow F, well, I do.
Last race's in December, no form to speak of on anything softer than good.
There are still no standard goings measures to be had, too. Racing could getv their act together. Except their act doesn't include the paying customers or if it does, i's not obvious!
With the best forecast (well Bar's) soft for Sunday, what about Saturdays?

SF too much of a gamble for me ... and I do play the short end despite my lousy longshot tips! :)

Misty for Me runs over her optimum distance, she acts on soft ground and I have doubts about the front two. She has a fair bit of ground to make up, but I think 6/1 is a fair price.

So Misty for Me for me.

Last edited:
For you for you... The ground is a concern but I don't think there is that much between them. Not going to be steaming in but will be backing Dunlop's fily I think.

She has also beaten the boys already, something Midday hasn't done and she could well have improved from 3 to 4

A past it Vision D'Etat and a Planteur that was over the top for the year? A victory over Sarafina in her back yard surely trumps that. Midday a good thing imo.

I am interested in the opinion of the people here about Treasury Beach on good to soft ground.

for a horse that raced in Ireland first 4 outings..it did remarkably well never to run on soft ground..coincidence or intent?

i'll guess intent..best races on fast ground..beaten fav only time ran on it

% call is better on fast..imo

yes
you could be right

but my feeling is the horse has improved for the up in distance

pedigree is not a help either being by MofS mare and Galileo the sire

if he acts, he is very good value for Sunday at 7/2

any news about jockey bookings?

i think the one of AOB's is Seville

i don't think Epsom suited too well..looks like a horse that will be suited to a decent stamina test like Curragh..York would have been too sharp..trip and track

no coincidence that ran well in stamina 2yo racing post trophy either..when stamina is at a premium he steps up.

wouldn't be surprised if he was the winner..but the race doesn't really apppeal to me at all tbh

Last edited:
Back