Derby weekend at the Curragh

• Thread starter Thread starter Gearoid
  • Start date Start date
All the showers yesterday afternoon missed the Curragh, and there was only decent rain up north today.

There is still a fair whack to fall tomorrow. The ground may just be yielding on Saturday, and a touch faster by the Derby.

I don't know what to do. It looks a good Derby.

Any significance in the jockey booking for the Derby? Wayne Lordan on Roderic O'Connor is an odd one.

It's a mess of a race to work out.

Will Carlton House run/stay on soft ground?
Will Treasure Beach handle soft ground?
Will Native Khan handle soft Ground?
Why was Roderic O'Connor so bad on his first and third run this season?
Can you forgive Seville his last run?
Why are Dunboyne Express and Notable Graduate even running?

I don't even understand why Carlton House is favourite, to be honest. He had a lot of ground to make up turning into the straight but he wasn't closing down Treasure Beach in the final furlong at Epsom, and is not likely to be advantaged by the ground. It also happens that he was beaten by another runner in Sunday's race, Seville, the time before that.

I'm at a loss with the market. I think Luke said Notable Graduate might het placed in this and I'm starting to think it's possible. 33/1 e/w 3 places looks a reasonable 'guess'.

I don't even understand why Carlton House is favourite, to be honest. He had a lot of ground to make up turning into the straight but he wasn't closing down Treasure Beach in the final furlong at Epsom, and is not likely to be advantaged by the ground. It also happens that he was beaten by another runner in Sunday's race, Seville, the time before that.

do you mean the Dante?..Seville has not been in front of CH there or the Derby?

Seville needs a very good stamina test..he gets his perfect race make up imo

Memphis Tennessee hopefully ridden with a little more restraint to emulate his sire (Hurricane Run) and his grandsire (Montjeu) in winning this then coming back next year to take the Tatterstalls Gold Cup :ninja:

yes
nice race,
this maiden and the one of the Irish Oaks day are the 2 best maidens in Ireland in the whole season,
First 3 could be group horses.

Timeform go 126 Misty For Me with Midday about 10lbs below her best. I think Frankel is the only 3yo they've rated higher so far this year.

Carlton House looks a strong lay looking at the sire stats

Street Cry
13% overall strike rate
8% stiff tracks
4% 12f+
7% Right Handed
8% Easy ground [only 3% on soft]

Last edited:
Back