Derby weekend at the Curragh

• Thread starter Thread starter Gearoid
  • Start date Start date
Of course... the form horse has won the Irish Derby quite cosily (there was no big surprise about it). He has won the Chester Vase from Nathaniel (a subsequent five-length winner of the Group 2 King Edward VII Stakes), been runner-up in the Derby and has now landed a Group 1 in Ireland. He’s by Galileo and will be given every opportunity to fulfil his potential.

The Nathaniel form line is irrelevent as that horse didn't act at Chester. I'd oppose TB next time in a Group 1 - he looked no better and maybe worse than Cape Blanco did last year.

The Nathaniel form line is irrelevent as that horse didn't act at Chester. I'd oppose TB next time in a Group 1 - he looked no better and maybe worse than Cape Blanco did last year.

Cape Blanco landed rather a juicy Gr1 last year after the Irish Derby

So You Think - Eclipse, Juddmonte, Arc or Champion Stakes
St. Nicholas Abbey - King George, Foy, Arc
Fame and Glory - Goodwood Cup, Irish Leger, Staying race on Arc Day
Await the Dawn - Maybe Royal Whip, BC Classic...or Arlington Million, BC Classic.....or Woodward Stakes BC Clasic
Zoffany - Sussex, Moulin, BC Mile
Recital - Royal Whip, Irish Champion, BC Turf
Treasure Beach - GP de Paris, BC Turf or Irl / UK Leger
Seville - GP de Paris, BC Turf or Irl / UK Leger
Memphis Tennessee - Voltigeur, Leger
Misty for Me - Irish Oaks, Nassau, BC F&M Turf
Together Falmouth, Nassau
Wonder of Wonders Irish Oaks, Yorkshire Oaks, BC F&M Turf

Definitely possible.

Of course it's not irrelevant it is part of the form of both horses and proves that one can beat the other under particular circumstances.

Of course it's not irrelevant it is part of the form of both horses and proves that one can beat the other under particular circumstances.

That's like backing Planet of Sound for the Gold Cup on the basis that he had a decision over Denman.

How did we get to the conclusion that Nathaniel didn't act ? I thought he acted fine but just couldn't quicken past TB.

That's like backing Planet of Sound for the Gold Cup on the basis that he had a decision over Denman.

It's not "like" anything... It is a piece of form that is as relevant as any piece of form. All form is a (limited) proof of something. It doesn't mean that it should necessarily determine how you have a bet if you bellieve an overriding factor negates the form on a future occasion.

However, together with commercial considerations, form and level of rating in Group races largely determines whether a horse will become a stallion or not.

Last edited:
I will try myself:

So You Think - Eclipse, Juddmonte, Arc and Breeders Cup Turf
St. Nicholas Abbey - King George, Irish St Leger.
Fame and Glory - york race and Arc.
Await the Dawn - GP Deauville or Irish Champion, Arc and BC Classic
Zoffany - Sussex, Moulin,QEII, BC Mile
Recital - Royal Whip, Niel, Arc
Treasure Beach - GP de Paris, UK Leger, Arc
Seville - GP de Paris, Irish Champion and Champion st
Memphis Tennessee - Voltigeur, Leger, Arc as pacemaker.
Misty for Me - Nassau,gr1 forfillies in sept 1m, Opera, BC F&M Turf
Together many races
Wonder of Wonders Irish Oaks, Yorkshire Oaks, Vermeille, BC F&M Turf

Back