Desert Crown

Desert Orchid

Senior Jockey
I'm not the most avid reader of gallop reports but I do check the Newmarket ones regularly for the better horses to see when the word 'impressed' is used, and I haven't caught up with the latest ones.

However, the RP site has a couple of behind-paywall items regarding a seemingly impressive piece of work by Desert Crown.

Is anyone in a position to tell us the gist of it?

Last edited:
Drumming up some business for the books again!
What can't speak can't lie:
Saeed Suhail’s racing managers Bruce Raymond and Philip Robinson, who were in upbeat mood after the workout.

Raymond said: "Desert Crown worked very, very nicely this morning following which everyone seemed very pleased with his progress since Sandown. Ryan was very happy with him and he should know as he rode him in a gallop on the Rowley Mile before his comeback run at Sandown.

I guess that means they blame Richard K for last time's reverse - imo, it was more the trainer's fault.

He did nothing wrong so can't be that. The winner has won despite the trouble. Shame he's not going for this race aswell. Would be interesting to see how they price it up.
I suppose Dettori is available then why not? Seems harsh but in reality Dettori is Dettori. Don't fcuk it up Frankie :lol:

I think he only keeps the job because no real top of the tree jock wants to work with SMS day in day out.

As for Desert Crown to be fair RK did nothing wrong at Sandown and I doubt very much if Frankie will make any difference at Ascot.

He looked the part and RK cruised into the lead and the horse didn't get home which is often the case with even the best at Sandown's stiff finish.

The way he travelled he did however look as good as he did as he won the Derby and Hukum may just have exposed his limitations.

I certainly would not be taking 2/1 about him for Royal Ascot and would rather dutch Luxemburg and Adayar for one of the two to outgun him.

It's interesting that the only time High Definition got a sniff of a Group 1 was the Tatts last year, where he got a nice lead, just like Luxembourg. The Curragh is a bad track for carrying form over to a place like Ascot imo. And Adayar surely won't have the gears for this if the ground is in any way decent. It's Desert Crown's to lose surely.

Dettori seems to be picking up rides you perhaps wouldn't normally expect. Could it be that some trainers/owners are keen to be part of his farewell tour?

His strike rate right now is pretty sensational and I'm more inclined now than at any time before to allow his booking to sway me towards backing him.

Apparently,no one's blaming RK, but:
tells a different story.

Dettori not make mistakes at ascot. Punters will be screaming at their phones if they backed frankie at royal ascot last year. A few very poor rides. More sentiment than anything else. Raymond is a slaver re Ryan. He will be on Luxembourg ya doughball.

He did nothing wrong so can't be that. The winner has won despite the trouble. Shame he's not going for this race aswell. Would be interesting to see how they price it up.
I suppose Dettori is available then why not? Seems harsh but in reality Dettori is Dettori. Don't fcuk it up Frankie :lol:

Be someone else's fault if he does but all down to him if he doesn't. Feel very sorry for RK, didn't deserve that.

From RP:
Frankie can put him anywhere in a race and, when Frankie's on, you shouldn't question him. You shouldn't question him at Goodwood or York or wherever, but around Ascot he's not going to make any mistakes
Saeed Suhail's racing manager Bruce Raymond explains the decision to call up Frankie Dettori to ride Desert Crown at Royal Ascot instead of regular rider Richard Kingscote

From RP:
Frankie can put him anywhere in a race and, when Frankie's on, you shouldn't question him. You shouldn't question him at Goodwood or York or wherever, but around Ascot he's not going to make any mistakes
Saeed Suhail's racing manager Bruce Raymond explains the decision to call up Frankie Dettori to ride Desert Crown at Royal Ascot instead of regular rider Richard Kingscote

Out for the season will be the next announcement!

Back