Dettori to go freelance

Well, I just sensed this year that the four classics have masked over the fact that Coolmore hasn't had the talent that they're so used to having. The two fillied classics were won by fillies who havn't kept their form and Camelot has been exposed.

Right now, for arguments sake, I'd say Khalid Abdullah is the major player in the flat game for obvious reasons. He has the quality of a Frankel both on the racecourse and now at stud, but clearly not the quantity of Aidan O Briens 2012 Oaks declarations!

I suppose if you forget about the four English classics and the 11 other Gr1s they've won so far this season you might have a point.

They like their quiet jockeys though. Fallon and Murtagh never made a lot of noise.

Aidan does the "best I've ever trained" bullshit badly enough on his own without needing a midget to help him.

Buick is quiet, isn't he? whenever interviewed, straight to the point, no messing.

To some extent, yes. Can be quite the lad when the cameras are off apparently but comes across v well on TV.

There is no way Abdullah is a bigger player than coolmore. Aside from Frankel how many G1 victories has he had this season?

More on topic - there no chance that Dettori will be coolmore stable jockey.

Last edited:
Indeed, Grey.

Not to mention the fact that AOB is second in the UK trainers' championship, first in the Irish trainers' championships (more than double the prize money of Weld, who is in second).

Apart from all this, he has won the UAE Derby, the Grand Prix de Paris and the Jacques le Marois this year.

Last edited:
I did say 'for arguments sake'.

Why don't you answer this, would Abdullah swap Frankel for all those group one's Coolmore have had this year, and likewise wouldn't Coolmore swap every horse in their stable to have Frankel right now?

Coolmore still have to keep on top of things, get the best jocks and produce consistent racehorses to still be top dog in five or ten years. That is all I'm saying.

Last edited:
I did say 'for arguments sake'.

Why don't you answer this, would Abdullah swap Frankel for all those group one's Coolmore have had this year, and likewise wouldn't Coolmore sway every horse in their stable to have Frankel right now?

To the first part 'No'
To the second part 'No'

if Coolmore offered to swap Galileo for Frankel, Abdullah would,but Coolmore would never offer the Golden goose.

Last edited:
Exactly. Naive argument Marble. Camelot could yet be a better stallion than Frankel. So could So You Think or Excelebration for that matter.

Coolmore and Juddmonte have a foal sharing agreement as well so they are on good terms and will give each other access to their best stallions. Dansili being one Coolmore have been using more. Frankel himself was the first pick in during his years foal share (they get the cover as part of the deal I assume), whilst Powerscourt was one of Coolmore's picks.

A lot has been made of Frankie not being interested in riding at small venues and maybe that is the case but when I read things like this: "It's a real shame Frankie and Godolphin parted company, I'm very sad for him," said McEvoy. It gives me the impression that he may not even have been asked to ride the horses the others connected with Godolphin rode. I just don't see his sidekick saying he feels sorry for Frankie if it's what Frankie wanted.

As far as Frankie still riding for them goes I wonder if he'll even want to and turning to Frankie for his services will probably only happen if the newbies start messing thing up.

Don't forget Frankie is Italian and proud and if he gets the chance to stick it to Goldolphin and he does so, a triple somersault dismount could be on the cards ;)

Murtagh goes solo and now his friend Dettori goes solo. I think its great for racing. Two Group 1 jocks now available to ride on the big days.

Must be a worry for the big organisations having those two running around the Countryside taking the ear of trainers and owners alike.

Dettori was on a huge retainer for years and for years this has blunted his enthusiasm for 'lesser' horses. He will not turn down rides for any of the Sheikhs, he has privileged access to stallions as well.

Awful rumours doing the rounds about a drug test in France.

In other news I bet no one forecast snow.

From guardian.co.uk

Solicitor Christopher Stewart-Moore released a statement with the news the medical committee of the French racing authority are planning a hearing.

The statement, issued to Press Association Sport, said: "On behalf of Frankie Dettori I can confirm that, as a consequence of a positive test at Longchamp on September 16 2012, he will be the subject of an inquiry by the Medical Committee of France Galop next week.

"In compliance with, and out of respect for, the regulations of France Galop, he will not be commenting further until the France Galop procedures have been completed."

Positive test for what exactly ??

Positive for crack cocaine ?

Positive for Aids ?

Positive for pulling a horse ?

Positive for jumping the queue when driving out of the car park ?

Any more ?

Back