Diamond Harry

Connections seem set on sending him chasing now. He'd take a bit of beating whichever way he goes though, I reckon.
Not sure if any other statement has come out of the Williams yard other than future plans are undecided, but one of the owners assured me on Saturday evening that Diamond Harry would stay over timber and would have only one run between now and March.

Not sure if any other statement has come out of the Williams yard other than future plans are undecided, but one of the owners assured me on Saturday evening that Diamond Harry would stay over timber and would have only one run between now and March.

That's well worth knowing. Thanks for that... I thought the whole idea of sending him over the fixed brush jumps was to prime him for chasing... presumably they were nothing less than delighted with his performance over these.

Last edited:
Just seen this from Williams:

"I have no plan, we are going to take each race as it comes as I think it is a mistake to commit.
"The RSA Chase and the World Hurdle are both options and we will keep an eye on the opposition."

Interesting input from rory though.

I would prefer Mikael D and Punchestowns over Diamond Harry in the Sun Alliance and Big Bucks in the Stayers Hurdle.

I would prefer Mikael D and Punchestowns over Diamond Harry in the Sun Alliance and Big Bucks in the Stayers Hurdle.

I thought we were agreed that Mikael would be better off in the Arkle?

I'd also want to be on Punchestowns in the RSA chase and BB in the World Hurdle... but you'd have to admit DH could well frighten the life out of either of them on that showing.

I think Big Bucks is the more likely winner as things currently stand but at 5/6 times the price, Diamond Harry surely the bet as he looks to have a lot of improvement left.

Five or six times the price?! Diamond Harry is 6/1 across the board for the Stayers', Big Bucks' is anything between 5/4 and 7/4, with plenty of the latter available.

If you look at my earlier post, I was referring to DH at 8.6 for the World Hurdle.

Regardless, (ie, if it's 3 or 4 times) I would make the same point - cracking value.

It also seems strange to me that less than a week ago you were suggesting the Arkle for Diamond Harry, now he's a bet for the Stayers'!!!!

I suggested the Arkle as I don't think he's tough enough for the RSA. If, as (and this is when I said it I believe) Rory said he is going for the World Hurdle, then I think he's got a decent chance in that.

Making sense?

I like the horse.

I like the horse too, very much as most of you know. I just couldn't get my head around any ideas of him going for the Arkle in the first place, much less getting my head around the idea that he's worth a look in the Arkle if he goes over fences or the Stayers' if he doesn't. Much as I love the horse, I realise the Arkle is a patently unsuitable race for him and so far as I know, the idea hasn't even remotely been considered. I also wouldn't be too quick to assume that he does go for the Stayers'; the Williams have been quick to insist that no decisions have been made despite the speculation of some, and it was very much a long held plan that he would go over fences this season.

I took the 7/4 today on Big Buck's... but I'm sort of hoping DH won't turn up for the World Hurdle (Rory reckons he will though).

I'm not doubting that Rory is passing on what he has been told but I'd advise exercising caution before assuming that the Stayers' is definitely the route Diamond Harry takes. Nick and Jane are not in the business of stitching up anyone or misleading anyone; they are straight down the line and are happy to share information with the public. I personally can't see that they can have already made a hard and fast decision anyway - it took long enough to come to a firm decision about whether Diamond Harry ran in the RSA or the 3 miler last year, remember? - and I certainly can't see them having made a decision yet insisting to the public that they have done no such thing. What you see with them is what you tend to get.

I'm well aware of that, thank you. I'm also quite familiar with Diamond Harry and what type of horse he is and it is pretty clear to most that he is not in any way an Arkle horse.

That's ok then, there's still time yet for him to turn up in the NH Chase!! (very unlikely though, I'd surmise)

I had a long chat with Paul Duffy on Monday morning and it looks as though the World Hurdle is the plan ("if it ain't broke don't fix it"), though campaign is always left to the trainer. Max of two runs before the Festival, though possibly just the one. It's possible that he'll never go over fences - why bother if you've got the next Inglis Drever or Baracouda on your hands?

Last edited:
Erm, because you may have the next Denman on your hands and he has always looked every inch like he'll be a better chaser, Mounto?? :D

I'm not doubting that Rory is passing on what he has been told but I'd advise exercising caution before assuming that the Stayers' is definitely the route Diamond Harry takes.

I'm mot doubting rory either, but like you I'd be amazed if DH didn't gofor the RSA Chase.

There's something seriously wrong here; we keep agreeing with each other all of a sudden!!! :lol:

I'm not so sure now what he will go for - I'm sure connections aren't entirely swayed or way or the t'other either right now - but I can't help but feel that it would be a crime against horse racing not to send him chasing at some point, the earlier the better in my humble opinion! I really think that over fences he could be very special.

.....and on that note, I'm going for a lie down......

Back