Diamond Harry

Seems to me like you are looking for a reason the horse got beat. I don't think Murphy lost him as much as a yard.

I was a big fan of the horse, and backed him last time, but very much accept we've seen his limitations now over hurdles (not many, but not going to win a World Hurdle).

I didn't see anyone on here criticising the rides Murphy gave Diamond Harry when he was winning the races he was.

Seems to me like you are looking for a reason the horse got beat. I don't think Murphy lost him as much as a yard.
Au contraire - I didn't think he would win the race beforehand and I've happily admitted he's not in the same league as Big Buck's, who I've been touting as the most talented jumper in the country since his Cleeve Hurdle win. I think SL has said something similar. A bad ride doesn't have to be a ride which loses a race.

I was a big fan of the horse, and backed him last time, but very much accept we've seen his limitations now over hurdles (not many, but not going to win a World Hurdle).
I don't disagree.

I didn't see anyone on here criticising the rides Murphy gave Diamond Harry when he was winning the races he was.
I've been vocal in my criticism of Murphy's riding of Diamond Harry since he won the Hyde Novices' Hurdle last year, albeit not always on this forum.

Murphy pulls the horses head in the air and makes him hang left? I don't know enough about riding to challenge what you're saying but he generally goes straight until he comes under the kosh.

The thing I can't understand is that he hangs left yet Murphy seems insistent on taking him wide right.. Last season he tended to keep him against the rail.. Perhaps it's intentional but it seems counter intuitive to me.

cant see anything wrong with any ride murphy has given diamond harry, and did not see any "violent" steering in newbury to be honest. great jockey; but even he cannot make DH beat Big Bucks bar taking a short cut.

I too have been criticising Murphy's riding of the horse since last season; letting - nay, almost encouraging - any horse, let alone a novice, run down a flight is sloppy and lazy and the mark of a poor horseman. Novices are there to be educated, not confused by dopey pygmys.

If you'd read my posts Hamm you'd see that I categorically stated that Diamond Harry would not have beaten Big Buck's at Newbury, he was still given a pig of a ride though. And no, I didn't have a penny on.

If you'd read all my other posts on Diamond Harry you would also have seen that I have on many occasions stated that I want to see him over fences which is where I believe he'll be dangerously good, and that I wanted him to go over fences this season rather than go for the Stayers', about which I have also stated on more than one occasion my opinion that Diamond Harry won't be winning (in fact I think 3rd is the best he could hope for).

However, I still think that Murphy has been riding him like a tit for the last two seasons and have repeatedly stated to many people that I wish they'd get Murphy off.

Crazyhorse - it was blatantly obvious that Murphy steered Diamond Harry violently right after jumping the last flight at Newbury - watch the race again!

Looks a tricky ride, particularly the manner in which he looked to take a keen enough grip through most of the race.

Thought Murphy could have been a bit more forceful at the final two flights but the fact of the matter - whatever the reasons - is that the horse's jumping under pressure is poor at best.

...which I've also been saying for a while now, and which is why I want to see him over fences. He doesn't respect hurdles and I have made no secret of the fact that I was disappointed they kept him over hurdles this season whilst outlining my reasons.

I really don't think Diamond Harry is a tricky ride, it is mainly Murphy's actions on him that may make him look that way to some.

He has the power and purpose to contend, but steadying those nerves in the big races will take some skillful riding. Murphy probably isn't the man to do it, but can't see them changing him.

Diamond Harry to be switched to fences in the Grade 2 Novice Chase at Haydock at the weekend. Murphy to ride.

Barry Geraghty booked… shouldn’t be too many complaints there.
Delighted to hear it (although I'd have obviously loved to have seen Darly given a chance); Geraghty has been the biggest surprise of the last couple of seasons for me - riding consistently brilliantly and with a knack of giving confidence to horses. He'll do for me.

I'd agree with those sentiments about Geraghty - he's really changed my opinion of him since he moved to Henderson; seems to be less arrogant as well which probably helps!

The Henderson job has been a great boost to his career. After the Kicking King and Moscow Flyer era, his career really looked to ge going nowhere.

Back