Diary Of A Racehorse Owner

Star runs tonight at Wolves in the 8.20

He has an each way chance, but the draw is a worry. Big word on track for Guadaloup and its all over Newmarket Chris Wall will win the last.

Hoping for at least a place tonight.

Chris

Good luck Chris, hope for a decent run at least, it's a step in class isn't it?
Word on another forum that Guildenstern too is 'off' in the same race, so I've played safe with a Tri!

Was the ground a bit lively for Bay Hawk, Kathy? Hope he's not jarred at all

Yes it sounds like everything went to plan, but without seeing the race I can't say how much the draw scuppered his chances in the end. From the audio it seemed he was running on well when he got clear and put in another good effort.

Shame about the place money tho :P
No doubt we'll get a run down from Chris tomorow

Stargazy ran really well considering how wide he ended up racing. It was no surprise he couldn't sustain his effort in the last 100 yds.

I didn't want to post until I spoke to all the members of the partnership but we were pleased with Star.

From stall 10 life is never going to be easy, but you have two options; miss the break go to the rail and hope the gaps come, or be patient and stay wide.

We opted for the later. Again he was a little too keen but saw daylight the whole way. He made his from move 3f out ot the furlong pole where he loomed large but the effort needed to get there had almost certainly taken away any chance of a win. He's beaten little over two lengths with another just in behind, the first five went away from the pack.

The draw was always going to be what could beat him and it has, he was a little too much on the steel which is why he emptied and they went very quick. He would suit a slowly run race because he has a good turn of foot but he has had to use it to get competitive.

Shame he couldn't hold on for 3rd, but I fancied the winner and backed it as well, so little damage done. Also I later found out the winner's owners sponsered the race and it was one of their birthdays, wish I knew that earlier, I would have doubled my bet.

Star is still growing at the moment and he will be much better next winter when he is 4 / 5 . He may have another run before his summer holidays and we may consider giving him a run over hurdles, he would stay 2m round a flat track and I've already been told my a dual purpose trainer at the races that he thinks he could be a nice hurdler.

I'm not too keen however as I'm more of a flat person but it does leave another window open. Yesterday was one of those days that everything i backed came 2nd if it was a win bet and 4th if it was an each way bet.

But Star definitely proved he could win in this grade and that is what we wanted to see. I'm tempted to go a mile round Lingfield with him and try and get some cover, as its a shorter straight which will suit him, but we're have to see what options there are.

Chris

Well after 3 weeks of wrestling with the ballot system to get a run finally the rugs come off Stargazy in the 5.00 at Lingfield.

He has been thriving at home since his last run and having been down to see him more times than a kid see's a lollipop lady I can pass on he is in excellent order.

Having realised unless you're rated 50, 51 or 52 you won't get into a 0-52 we decided to chuck him in a 0-65 and see if we get a run. With 22 entered and 8th on the ballot it looked unlikely but as per usual a 0-65 cuts up because there are 4 of them a week !!

9 go to post in the 5.00 and whilst we are 3lb out the handicap I would write Star off at your peril. The horse is more than capable of performing at this level and its likely we will get a strong gallop this afternoon which is what we need ideally. Michael Geran rides and whilst I don't know much about him we had great difficulty in finding a jockey as you would be amazed how jockeys can't do 8st 4lb anymore. We were left with a choice of 2 jockeys riding there but Michael has ridden 14 winners, one off the drop to 5lb. With over 200 rides to his name he is experienced enough and Matt Davies has spoken to him about the horse. Mr Channon has been good to let us use this apprentice and hopefully he will get on well with Star.

Today's race may be his last before a small holiday with a race at Laytown in September high up on his agenda for an Autumn campaign.

Star went via Birmingham last time at Wolves and I honestly think with a better bit of luck or few more days work we would have won that time. I'm quite worried about Imperium and Mind Alert but we will be positive and track the pace in about 5th or 6th and try and send him late up the centre. He couldn't be better at home and now its time to let Star do the talking.

I'm quite excited about his run today as I feel it could be a stepping stone to better things. I'm quite insulted he is the 14/1 outsider as both his 0-45 races worked out very well and his run in a Lingfield claimer, despite finishing out the back has worked out terrific. If he can transfer his attitude from Wolverhampton to Lingfield today I have no doubt in my mind he will run a big race and will be having a small speculative bet on him. If he were to run well he will go to Kempton on Monday for a weak 0-52 where in many regards I would be more than hopeful.

So wish us luck everyone and keep everything crossed and hopefully the Star will be giving a reverse peace sign to the spotlight writer at the Racing Post who has never said anything nice about him.

Chris

All the best of luck to you all and to Bill and family ! My very first horse in training was with Bill - the not very talented FACE IT and he's run one or two of Trickledown and Bishopwood homebreds over the years, WALNUT LADY being the 'one that got away' ...... Paul always has one or two at Bill's and it's a lovely, relaxed yard for horses and people alike.

Back