Doncaster meeting.

Part time punter

At the Start
One of my favourite meetings this, however, I keep looking at today's card, I can't remember a more uninspiring opening day. Keeping my hand firmly in pocket.

There's no terrestrial coverage today and they've rejigged the cards accordingly. I agree that it leaves pretty thin fare this afternoon.

Loads of pace in the Scarborough Stakes, which should suit Go On Go on Go on admirably. No doubts about the ground either - unlike the first 2 in the market - so looks well worth an ew punt at current double figure odds.

Cheers Reet, it is the only race where it is worth having a punt. I keep looking at Priceless, but I'm just not sure it will get it's head in front so I'm going to leave it alone. Will probably regret it now I've put it up here!

Cheers Reet, it is the only race where it is worth having a punt. I keep looking at Priceless, but I'm just not sure it will get it's head in front so I'm going to leave it alone. Will probably regret it now I've put it up here!
Hope you changed your mind PTP If its any consolation I remember selecting her to run well earlier on in the season when she was 2nd at a big price behind Dancing Star, but I had the same doubts as you today. I thought she might find one to good.

Last edited:
It's a much better card tomorrow but I'm struggling to identify a bet.

Paddy Power have priced up the first race on Friday in which Nemoralia and Lumiere take each other on over 7f. Lumiere seems to be a 50-50 shot to give her running but if she does give it then I just can't see Nemoralia being up to conceding her 3lbs, as required by the race conditions. Powers go 4/5 Nemoralia and 100/30 Lumiere and at those prices Johnston's filly looks a strong bet to me.

It's a much better card tomorrow but I'm struggling to identify a bet.

Really? I make Simple Verse a strong bet. She has much the best form of any of these and whilst the common perception is that she isn't the same filly this season I think that's a tad harsh. First time out she split Exosphere and Big Orange carrying a penalty. Decent form.

Second race was a rather mundane effort in the Coronation Cup but they went a crawl that day which wouldn't have suited her - she may have also not acted on the track. Again though not terrible form. Her next run at Ascot when I bet her was poor but I have to give her a pass in that, it was only two weeks after Epsom.

The oppo tomorrow is nothing special, the Stoute creature a typical hype job from that yard that might not stay. And of course SV loves Donny. 9/2 is value.

I agree on Lumiere, I think we might get 4s on decs hopefully. I give her a pass on the run at Deauville as I have heard a few times that the ground at that meeting this season, throughout their Festival pretty much, was ropey at best.

Last edited:
Particularly if Donny get some of this forecast rain.

I also think staying is her game and she hasn't had much of a pace to run at so far this season. She was late maturing last year and I'd be keen to wager that she's probably coming right now. Forgiving her last run the two before were fair.

One of my favourite meetings this, however, I keep looking at today's card, I can't remember a more uninspiring opening day. Keeping my hand firmly in pocket.

£26 entry today into the Tattersalls for an average midweek meeting that didn't even have a group race. I think that's scandalous and I've tweeted Donny Races to tell them. It was absolutely dead today but at £26 is it any bloody wonder. If I didn't have a Go Racing In Yorkshire pass there is no way I'd have paid £26 to get in. They also offer free parking at every race meeting yet when it comes to Leger week they try to charge you £5 parking. They left a gap in the fence further down where a lot of people sneaked in and parked up. You can drive past the parking entrance and go past the Bloodstock sales bit and park for free, just a bit of a walk. It's the principle of fleecing the punters for one meeting a year.

Someone posted in a racing group on facebook that Andok was a supposed steering job. Won well enough but not as easy as expected. Apparently Tony Hamilton said there was too much juice in the ground for Andok and the horse will improve plenty when it's like a road, needs it fast. I had a small win bet on Andok but also took the 2nd each way at 14-1, looked huge in the pre parade ring and thought she was a colt, couldn't believe she was a filly with the size of her. Finished her race well and should be up to taking a decent fillies race at some point, consistent sort that seemed to enjoy the trip.

Lost on the day with Roll On Rory the most disappointing, went from hero to zero in strides and finished last. They've stuck an Arab race in between racing tomorrow so there's a gap from 4.50pm to 6pm in most racecards. Expected to be dry up until Friday afternoon with heavy rain Friday night into Saturday morning and could be officially soft by Leger time. Very humid today despite being overcast and cloudy at times.

Hope you changed your mind PTP If its any consolation I remember selecting her to run well earlier on in the season when she was 2nd at a big price behind Dancing Star, but I had the same doubts as you today. I thought she might find one to good.

I didn't change my mind, with the two non runners the price shortened up too much for my liking. Oh well, another slips by!

Can't make up my mind about Mazyoun today. Is it a positive that James Doyle has stayed on board this one instead of Frankie returning? Or have I missed Frankie no longer riding for the owner? Cant imagine Frankie giving up the ride to James if he felt it was a winner, unless Doyle has begged him to let him ride it? Cant see the angle, perhaps better to keep my hand in my pocket again!

Glitter girl in the first.

Lusory looks like the Rick at bottom weight and a massive potential improver in the handicap. 4 behind it in its maiden win have all won off 80/81 since and given the comfortable nature of win I think should be rated low enough to trouble the first three.

Marie of Lion and Mazyoun for me in the 3.40.

Multiples but single each way on Lusory.

Last edited:
Oh jeeez; just screamed the house down for Simple Verse who seemed to be boxed in every which way she went. No bet on the race but emotionally drained watching that......phew.

Oh jeeez; just screamed the house down for Simple Verse who seemed to be boxed in every which way she went. No bet on the race but emotionally drained watching that......phew.

Just watched it now, literally how I used to watch Doctor Who in the 70s with my fingers splayed over my face.

Last edited:
Just watched it now, literally how I used to watch Doctor Who in the 70s with my fingers splayed over my face.

That made me laugh.

It reminds me of the 1976 King George. I was eighteen, about to go to University, just getting into racing and I decided that the way to go was to subscribe to Timeform's Phone Service. I'd start off by putting on a tenth of their recommended stake, gradually build up a bank, increase the stakes as time went on and, essentially, never actually have to seek any paid employment.

I bought the minimum five days subscription and phoned up on the first day to be advised £40 each-way on Bruni in the King George. He'd started slowly on his previous run, only just getting up to win the Hardwicke, and I reckoned that Timeform were treating that as a one-off.

I went into Ladbrokes, put my £4 each-way on, hoping the assistant didn't notice my hands trembling. It struck me as I put the bet on that the dole - students could sign on in those days - was only £9.70 per week so this was a pretty significant stake.

Went home, sat down in front of the TV. Nobody else was in, fortunately.

Stalls opened. Bruni dwelt. Badly. Even worse, Piggott could then be seen reaching down and messing with one of his boots. O'Sullevan confirmed he'd lost an iron. Bruni trailed the field as Pawneese, the horse I would have backed if left to my own devices, took them along.

I was a nervous wreck for the rest of the race. By the time they turned in, with Bruni still in the rear, I was on my hands and knees in front of the telly, roaring my head off.

To my enormous relief, Piggott got him into second place at the finish behind Pawneese. After tax, I'd made 16p profit.

"Traumatic" hardly does it justice.

I revised my financial plans after that, taking the view my heart wouldn't stand it.

Quality Gus!

Similar to the time of my first really large bet. I'd been told that Richard Guest was being really bullish about Red Marauder's chances in the grand national and I had placed a large each way bet two weeks before. Then the rains came and made it a mudbath and was told the day before that Guest was even more bullish. I went in again with what was left of my student loan, knowing that I had two weeks more holiday to earn enough money to survive the last term of the year.

Watching the horses drop one after another and being pulled up was probably the most painful experience of my life! There was a split second euphoria as he crossed the line in front and then I collapsed with relief. I only had three more pints and a couple of shots before heading to bed exhausted before 9 o clock.

I paid all my student loans off and was probably one of the few who left university debt free!

Back on to the thread, Senator today is a bet for me. Frankel two year old, I've backed it both times so far after hearing Fahey's manager behing really bullish about it and how much it would improve for the first run. It has been really keen/green both times doing it's best work in the final furlong. I honestly can see it winning today with the extra furlong and then upped to a mile next year or further.

I also like Ardad today dropped back to 5f at a decent each way price for a Gosden/Dettori horse. Didn't seem to see out 6f last two times.

Finally - Polarisation is worth a chance. Bombed in this last year off 4lb lower but end of a long season. Note only had two races this year and whilst not looked in good form this will have been the target and confident kept fresh.

Good luck all.

Laurence in the 4.50 Doncaster, been running ok and gradually improving with time. Due a win.
Salsabeel 4.15 Doncaster. Looks very promising and subject to good report.
Tis Marvellous 2.30 Doncaster. Proper horse from what ive seen, out of depth and ground last day.

I like Larchmont Lad in that 7f conditions race. Impressive winner of a maiden the form of which has worked out reasonably well and he's available at 6/1 or thereabouts. Compare and contrast with Rivet, impressive winner of a maiden which hasn't worked out at all to date, but odds-on in some places for the Group Two Champagne Stakes tomorrow.

Last edited:
Hmmm, and not one accusation of aftertiming :confused:

Can't speak for PTP but, given that I made 16p, that allegation can clearly be made at me.

Even if this forum had existed in 1976, I couldn't have put my bet on Bruni up in advance as TF make it clear that phone service advice is for the sole use of the subscriber.

As DJ will confirm...

Can't speak for PTP but, given that I made 16p, that allegation can clearly be made at me.

Even if this forum had existed in 1976, I couldn't have put my bet on Bruni up in advance as TF make it clear that phone service advice is for the sole use of the subscriber.

As DJ will confirm...

Not so much you or PTP, Gus. More an attempt to highlight that certain usual suspects on here tend to pick and choose whom they attack.

Back