Douvan - two questions

On the other hand few braver horses deserve a Champion chase more than Special Tiara got his ground and an unchallenged lead - god's Own also disappointing almost looked as if this was a prep for Aintree and Punchestown

I meant sprinter would probably have won if he had just joined in today ! If he had not suffered the injury I agree it would have been like last spring's Celebration Chase -

Nice also for de Bromhead to see off the Potts horse

I just pray for Tanlic, I warned him this could happen when meeting older horses but he kept on comparing with the likes of Faugheen and Sprinter. Even Arkle at the beginning of season.

Douvan may well have done himself a mischief but surely would have been wiser to try him in the Tingle Creek or Clarence House than here in a real championship race

Wonder what the owners of Un De Sceaux are pondering right now

They are not for me. Only just got up above Special Tiara last year despite the ground last year being more suited than today. Empire Of Dirt should win tomorrow.

Possibly a bit quick for him but that was an awful showing.

As an aside, Henry is a genius trainer of chasers.

Potts being second to him, oh the irony

Might happen again in the Gold Cup on Friday. :)

Last edited:
I just pray for Tanlic, I warned him this could happen when meeting older horses but he kept on comparing with the likes of Faugheen and Sprinter. Even Arkle at the beginning of season.

Why you praying for me I was on at 11/10 thanks to a double with Altior and got out at 1.4 on the machine.

You are so fooking dumb you are actually insinuating he was beaten because he lacks ability you fool

Last edited:
Douvan confirmed as being lame after the race.

From after the 3rd fence when he dragged his back legs through the fence he never looked right jumping

At the 4th as the commentator said he gave the fence a lot of air......possibly because he got an OUCH!!! at the 3rd

Really surprised Ruby never pulled him up when it was obvious just after 4 out when he gave him a nudge or 2 and got no response

The minute you see Ruby move on a horse that far out it's time to panic.

Hopefully it's minor and he will be back for Punchestown

hope he's ok and hope ruby going after him all the way up the straight doesn't leave a mark. should have been pulled up.

God I'm glad you're safe Tanlic.

No he wasn't beat by his ability but it was the first time meeting a 165+ rated chaser/s and the speed they were going was enough for him to falter. You can watch the clips of RUK and ITV just before the race started and they were all saying how great he was looking and good he looked when going down to post. He wasn't injured coming into the race, he was injured due to the brisk pace they were going. I always made the point he couldn't get away from Vaniteux last year and he could barely get away from a stayer 2 years ago and now with such a high speed from the get-go he not only made mistakes but got frightened and couldn't show his best which probably might not have been good enough anyway.

What speed Fool? Did you even check the times or the sectionals.

Special Tiara Good to soft 7.1 3m 55.40s (slow by 3.40s)

Douvan Good to Soft 7.O 3m 48.60s (fast by 3.40s)

On slightly slower ground Douvan clocked a time over 7 seconds faster in his Arkle than they did in this years QMCC or if you like 28 lengths

The pace was only normal and very similar to last years Arkle until 4 out when if you run the 2 races together Douvan goes off like a rocket and is unbelieveable faster than Special Tiara.

The ground dried out by day 2 last year to 7.3 and even Sprinter Sacre's time was slower than Douvan's 3m 48.90s (fast by 3.10s

Times aren't everything but Special Tiar's top speed doesn't even come close to Douvan's and you as usual are talking shyte

Please consider taking up dominoes as a sport it would no doubt be more your cup of tea:p

Last edited:
I think his jumping early on not only put paid to his chance (must've tweaked something with that first error) but also that of Gods Own. I think Douvan's early take off at the fence GO made a juddering mistake encouraged GO to take off too early and it knocked the stuffing out of him, it's to his credit he was able to get back into it on the home bend before fading.

What speed Fool? Did you even check the times or the sectionals.

Special Tiara Good to soft 7.1 3m 55.40s (slow by 3.40s)

Douvan Good to Soft 7.O 3m 48.60s (fast by 3.40s)

On slightly slower ground Douvan clocked a time over 7 seconds faster in his Arkle than they did in this years QMCC or if you like 28 lengths

The pace was only normal and very similar to last years Arkle until 4 out when if you run the 2 races together Douvan goes off like a rocket and is unbelieveable faster than Special Tiara.

The ground dried out by day 2 last year to 7.3 and even Sprinter Sacre's time was slower than Douvan's 3m 48.90s (fast by 3.10s

Times aren't everything but Special Tiar's top speed doesn't even come close to Douvan's and you as usual are talking shyte

Please consider taking up dominoes as a sport it would no doubt be more your cup of tea:p

Again, overall times are not taken in consideration by any professional. You're wasting time counting the total seconds of a race, especially a jumps one. The pace early on was mad and Douvan couldn't handle it. Noel Fehily at the start said to Fitzy "blink and you'll miss him" which says it all about his intentions and the forced errors of jumping from a horse who hadn't raced against a single 165 chaser in his career. I thought it'd take UDS to test him, but apparently the lack of experience by Mullins keeping him in cotton wool back at home was enough to see him tumble.

Look Augie either answer the post or shut the fook up with nonsense replies....I ask you again what speed? exactly where was ST going faster than an even gallop?

That is the crux of you argument so answer or go tell someone who cares about your bullshit

Last edited:
Douvan has always had a tendency to come up a stride early at the odd fence, even when running well within himself. Previously he's got away with it and it's made his jumping look more spectacular. Yesterday he didn't get away with it and he injured himself. I don't think it had anything to do with the pace ST was setting at that stage in the race forcing him into errors - it's been his style throughout.

Im a bit disappointed in Ruby not pulling him up if he thought the horse had pulled something; let's hope that hasn't exacerbated whatever the problem turns out to be and we see the real Douvan back on the track soon.

Back