Dubai Carnival 2010

If you are watching Channel 4 sadly you won't be able to see the result as Come Dine with Me gets preference,hopeless!!

They'd have been better starting the show later and missing out all the crap about the hotel so they could provide better coverage of the result - useless.

Channel4.......... Quickly popped in to the other room while they were waiting for the result and when I got back to the TV (30secs away tops) it had ended transmission. That is taking the proverbial pee to another level! :confused:

As for the race itself it was a bit like the saying 'big house no knickers' I'm afraid.

Ah well at least Aintree is on next week....

And that Come Dine With Me is a berluddy repeat!

Last edited:
I don't think you'll see a better ride than that on Gloria, was absolutely amazing.

Fallon on the other hand....

Dont see a problem with the ride myself. A slow pace and an inside draw can lead to these problems and he was not flying at the end when he got room was he.

Bit mystified as to why it seems they want to ride Presvis through a wall of horses. If I remember correctly a couple of years ago he challenged wide in a Newbury handicap and bolted up. It didn't appear to present a problem. Lemaire had the opportunity to sweep around them but decided it was a much better idea to make an inside run where he would have needed a miracle to get a run.

I must say I backed the fav @ 9/2 for a good few quid and was dissapointed the whole race. Never looked to be travelling strongly and would have need a serious turn of foot to win from where he was. The race reminded me of a muddling handicap at Lingfield than the race Dubai Millenium and Invasor hacked up in.

Dont see a problem with the ride myself. A slow pace and an inside draw can lead to these problems and he was not flying at the end when he got room was he.

He wouldn't have won in a month of Sundays but he didn't half let them get away from him. He still had plenty of horse under him two out when the others had kicked on and stole a few lengths. He then absolutely flies at the finish and has to go down the inside. Fallon is experienced enough at the top level to read races and be proactive with tactics and decisions, he's not showed anything for me since his comeback bar his partnership with Strike The Deal.

As for Presvis, can't knock Lemaire, they ride him like that on every run and they pay the price for it regularly now. I don't like him at all but I think he's a perfect horse for Spencer myself.

He wouldn't have won in a month of Sundays but he didn't half let them get away from him. He still had plenty of horse under him two out when the others had kicked on and stole a few lengths. He then absolutely flies at the finish and has to go down the inside. Fallon is experienced enough at the top level to read races and be proactive with tactics and decisions, he's not showed anything for me since his comeback bar his partnership with Strike The Deal.

As for Presvis, can't knock Lemaire, they ride him like that on every run and they pay the price for it regularly now. I don't like him at all but I think he's a perfect horse for Spencer myself.

Presvis was the best horse in the race and should have won. If in your opinion you can't 'knock' Lemaire who do you blame? There was a clear opportunity to challenge wide but the jockey decided to duck back inside effectively giving the horse no chance. Moore will be back on - thankfully no reason to consider Spencer.

Not so clearcut but I would argue that Gitano Hernando was also the best horse in his race. Again for me pilot error. He broke well but instead of switching wide to obtain clear daylight he immediately took a pull and from that moment his chance was gone. He gambled on eventually getting a run through a wall of horses and that gamble failed miserably.

Presvis was the best horse in the race and should have won. If in your opinion you can't 'knock' Lemaire who do you blame? There was a clear opportunity to challenge wide but the jockey decided to duck back inside effectively giving the horse no chance. Moore will be back on - thankfully no reason to consider Spencer.

Not so clearcut but I would argue that Gitano Hernando was also the best horse in his race. Again for me pilot error. He broke well but instead of switching wide to obtain clear daylight he immediately took a pull and from that moment his chance was gone. He gambled on eventually getting a run through a wall of horses and that gamble failed miserably.

I'd blame Cumani, they did exactly the same in Singapore under Moore and it ended in defeat there. He doesn't need holding up like some kind of super horse, he's got plenty of speed and they should be prepared to change the tactics around a bit now and again. Lemaire is the best around for me and he was a victim of circumstances and tactics enforced upon him more than anything else.

I think Fallon's ride on Gitano was much worse. Look at Shea on Lizard's Desire compared to Fallon when the chips are down, much cooler and tactically more aware on a worse horse too.

The moment he switched Presvis inside it was like R Hills on Youmzain - curtains.

Agreed that Fallon didn't shine on GH .

The moment he switched Presvis inside it was like R Hills on Youmzain - curtains.

Funny you should mention Youmzain, I was saying to someone at work earlier that I don't know why they ride Presvis like they ride Youmzain! It's not like he's an ungenuine pig like Youmzain is.

I have a raceday colleague who recently visited Dubai and Meydan, and enjoyed it, but on ATR this a.m. there's a chap whining that on tv it's all very bland and carping that the racing wasn't much good, either. Boycey demurred in his usual diplomatic fashion, saying you could hardly call the runners 'not much good', but has anyone on here yet been to Meydan? Is it bland? It takes time for new courses to bed into the public's imagination, but Ffos Las got off to an immediately positive start, so any thoughts?

He was close enough I thought given the gaps. But they did'nt come and the horse probably was'nt good enough on the day anyway. Did not absolutely fly at the finish to my eyes.

He was close enough I thought given the gaps. But they did'nt come and the horse probably was'nt good enough on the day anyway. Did not absolutely fly at the finish to my eyes.

What gaps? There was a clear chance to come wide turning in but after that nothing and the horse finished with plenty of running left. There would have been no point the jockey asking the horse to 'fly' when there was no chance of being placed. Once beaten he was doing little more than sit on him. There is no indication that he wasn't good enough.

treetangle not sure what you mean,

Gamla Stan said that Fallon had let the field get away from him. I think he was close enough HAD the gaps appeared at the right time which as I said they did'nt.

Late on he got room and was ridden vigorously enough IMO without flying at the finish as Gamla Stan had said in his post.

treetangle not sure what you mean,

Gamla Stan said that Fallon had let the field get away from him. I think he was close enough HAD the gaps appeared at the right time which as I said they did'nt.

Late on he got room and was ridden vigorously enough IMO without flying at the finish as Gamla Stan had said in his post.

Sorry, I thought your comments referred to Presvis, although similar comments would also apply to Gitano Hernando. Once Fallon had failed to take advantage of his good break effectively his race was over. Basically, he had given up well before the finish yet he was still making ground on the leaders without being what I would term hard ridden. If the same horses raced again there is no doubt he would go off favourite.

Sorry, I thought your comments referred to Presvis, although similar comments would also apply to Gitano Hernando. Once Fallon had failed to take advantage of his good break effectively his race was over. Basically, he had given up well before the finish yet he was still making ground on the leaders without being what I would term hard ridden. If the same horses raced again there is no doubt he would go off favourite.

Fair enough. I backed G. Hernando and maybe a wider draw, given the way he was ridden would have been better for him. These rail draws are ok as long as you are prepared to be posistive, otherwise you can get buried as happened here.

I don't want to give the impression GH is not a very good horse and I hope he can win a race of this nature, and that I back him to do so!

I don't want to give the impression GH is not a very good horse and I hope he can win a race of this nature, and that I back him to do so!

Likewise but compare Fallon's ride on GH with Shea's on Lizards Desire. LD is a lesser animal than GH and Shea plans his progress home well from a similar position.

Back