Dubai Racing Carnival

Hamm

At the Start
Starts January 15th. Great quality racing and very much looking forward to it.

Anyone know of any horses going over from GB&I?

Only news source I've found thus far is http://www.drcnewswire.com/

Strange AOB sold all of Kingdom of Naples, MacArthur, Zulu Chief & King of Rome to De Kock - not sure has he much left in the 4yo department for next year. Stubbs Art also with De Kock.

I found a cracking site but I've completely forgot the address now, will hunt around at work later.

I know Bankable is under De Kock's care, could be interesting as the horse itself is a Kock. Tayyab looks to be one to follow for him and Brave Tin Soldier won for him there last week.

Jim Bolger is sending three over (Via Galilei, Akua'Ba and Ard Na Greine) with Ger Lyons sending four (Summit Surge, Dohasa, Leandros and Fiery Lad).

Bolger said Dubai was a possibility for Lush Lashes as well.

I found a cracking site but I've completely forgot the address now, will hunt around at work later.

I know Bankable is under De Kock's care, could be interesting as the horse itself is a Kock. Tayyab looks to be one to follow for him and Brave Tin Soldier won for him there last week.

Bankable is with Chris Dwyer for Mick De Kock. He is being viewed as a England prospect for next year. I doubt he'll be ready for the carnival but the Dubai Duty Free at the World Cup meeting is a possible.

De Kock is also sending over top sprinter JJ The Jet Plane though he's a doubtful runner at the Carnival.

Should give us something to run give Overdose a race at Ascot mind.

I can never fathom out the carnival. I struck lucky last season and backed Before You Go at 25/1 for a race but that is because I followed it when he ran for Terry Mills and had a spare fiver knocking about! :lol:

From RP:

DUAL Arc runner-up Youmzain is to spearhead a Mick Channon trio headed for Dubai, where the six-year-old will attempt to make it third time lucky in the Sheema Classic on Dubai World Cup night, March 28.
The son of Sinndar has been kept on the go since finishing onlytwo lengths behind Zarkava at Longchamp and Channon is suggesting that he has him better than ever for what will be his only race at the Nad Al Sheba meeting.
"He was second to Vengeance Of Rain and fifth to Sun Classique but I felt we rode him too handy last time," said Channon.
"It's early in the season for any horse coming from Europe but he seems in great order at home. He'll go out there later than my other runners, Eva's Request and Halicarnassus."
Eva's Request, a Group 2 winner as a two-year-old, ran well in several Pattern races last year and Channon added: "We think she's the type that could do well in Dubai. She's a very tough filly and there are a few suitable races there for her."
Halicarnassus didn't manage to win in Dubai last year."He won a couple of Group 3s as a three-year-old and kept smart company throughout last year," said Channon.
"He never seems to lose his summer coat and loves to get the sun on his back. In that respect the summer of 2008 was far from ideal for him."

Youmzain could take a lot of beating this year as there is very little in terms of older horses for him to compete against. If I was Channon, I'd keep him on the go till GP de Saint Cloud, mop up the older 1m4 races, then take a break and prepare for the Arc.

Stan Moore is sending over a few, I've asked for names

No reply yet, but I'm pretty sure Fullback is going - he's never been out of the first two, likes the a/w, and has had a nice break over the winter

Agreed Pentire, but that problem of comparing form from round the world is what makes the meeting so fascinating! Mike De Kick's are always worth a second look - one of the best trainers in the world imo

Strange AOB sold all of Kingdom of Naples, MacArthur, Zulu Chief & King of Rome to De Kock - not sure has he much left in the 4yo department for next year. Stubbs Art also with De Kock.

5 year old plus this year include the likes of Yeats, Septimus, Soldier Of Fortune, US Ranger,Honolulu while the now 4 year olds include Frozen Fire, Alessandro Volta, Jupiter Pluvius and the well regarded filly Queen Of The Night.

Certainly a lesser looking bunch (outside of the Cup horses) of older horses this season than in past years. Will need a good crop of 3 year olds.

I thought he was planning to sell Fullback to the States a couple of months ago ???

He/they may have had an offer, but anyway Fullback went out to Dubai on Sunday. I think he's the only one of Stan's this year though

- that's De Kock of course, my fingers are turning into :blink::blink::blink: with arthritis!

Yesterday's Dubai carnival supplement is now available on the website. Well worth a look, featuring a lot of stable tours, and some good articles. Well done to RP for putting this up.

Yesterday's Dubai carnival supplement is now available on the website. Well worth a look, featuring a lot of stable tours, and some good articles. Well done to RP for putting this up.

Where abouts is it on the site mate? Wouldn't mind having a look

Just goto racing cards (see the menu on the left hand side), and when you select 'Nad al Sheba', you will see it is free. You need to be registered to access this. PM

Great card to kick the carnival off with.

4.55 - Masaalek, and Yaddree. Masaalek would have won more than one big handicap last year were it not for Fifteen love, and looks like he has plenty more improvement left in him. Yaddree had a fantastic season last year, ran well in the Cambridgeshire though may find the trip slightly on the short side. Iguazu falls never fulfilled the potential he had at 2 (Epsom race aside), and his headstrong tendancies make him a possible place lay.

6.05 Royal Vintage. Second on both the UAE Guineas and Derby last year to stablemate Honour Devil. Ran no sort of race at Newbury when switched to turf, but back on dirt will take a lot of beating and I have him as a 6/4 shot, hence, the 3/1 available is the best bet of the day.

6.40 Crime Scene, Gravitas. Both have good pieces of form at the carnival which would make them very competitive, and at 20/1 and 16/1 respectively, are both overpriced (each way).

I strongly fancy Royal Vintage so may include him in doubles and trebles (each way) with other selections (unusual tactic for me).

5.30 - Gold Sovereign (Reserve)

This ex-Godolphin horse put in some solid performances in the UK last year without hitting the top level, he consistently earned good speed ratings. He was disappointing in his last run but this was after a hard season with Godolphin, the change of yard should suit him and he looks an ideal Carnival horse who should handle the hustle and bustle of these Nad Al Sheba handicaps well.

6.05 - Happy Boy & Trinity College

Both my selections promised to deliver a lot more than they have in earlier stages of their careers.

Trinity College is a former Ballydoyle inmate who never lived up to the promise of his Maiden at Cork back in August 2006. That said, the penny started to drop in his later runs for the yard with a win at Fairyhouse. He moved to Mike De Kock for 2008 and put in a couple of decent efforts. He ran badly last time out over 6 furlongs but the step up in trip is guaranteed to suit and he is in the right hands to improve and the booking of Ryan Moore certainly takes the eye. My second selection in the same race is former Godolphin Dubai World Cup potential runner Happy Boy. Happy Boy looked far from happy for the boys in blue and he never troubled the judge for them, something which could be down to their harsh training regime. Prior to joining Godolphin the worse won multiple races in Brazil before winning a Group 3 at the Carnival where he scooted up on the dirt over a mile. Back over C&D where he won by 9 lengths, he looks a cracking each-way bet for his new yard.

6.40 - Crime Scene

Another former Godolphin horse who won 2 out of 3 races over C&D at the carnival last year. He was given a decent encouraging race last time out and should improve again for the step back to the turf and up to 1m4f in a competitive race. His times over C&D last year were exceptional and there is no reason why he can’t repeat those performances this evening.

Last edited:
Not a great start for De Kock at the carnival but his filly was coming back off a near 2 year lay-off and pulled very hard early on.

Tons of money around for his runner in the next - pretty much a case of who do you trust to get one ready first time out De Kock or Bin Suroor?

The De Kock horse I like personally in the Maktoum Challenge is Art Of War. Available at 20/1 at the moment he's an improver who will appreciate the 1m trip and received a very favourable write-up on De Kock's website. Far too big when compared to his stablemates :)

Back