Dubai Racing Carnival

Frankie gave both Asset and Hatta Fort pretty poor rides I thought. Couldn't resist a couple of shillings each-way on Munaddam! :)

Have had a little bet on Gravitas to add to Colony after re-evaluating the importance of course form. I think he is probably too high in the weights for now, but the odds compensate for that.

Colony must have a big chance.

Who the hell is backing Presvis at 11/10 in this? It's one of the worst priced animals I've seen in a long while.

Well done DJ. If I had only listened to you :D

Seriously, well done.

Do you not think it was unusual for one of Cumani's to show good form first time out (and in January), and even more so after going up 14 pounds?

If Gold Sovereign wins it's xmas. Can't get on on BF place market though, no money there.

I'm not sure of the exact figures, but I think it costs about 10K to get a horse out to Dubai (admittedly subsidised if running twice at the Carnival). Equally the races are worth 50K to the winner. The fact that Luca was has sent a team out there for the first time in recent memory and Ryan Moore (who won on him at Newbury) was out there to ride him suggested to me that he was unlikely to need the run.

In all honesty the weights rise was no issue. I thought he was the best handicapped horse in the race (he was also top-rated on RPR's), was proven on fast ground and in the conditions and looks to be passing through handicaps on the way to Group company. Timeform Perspective commented at Newbury that 'connections have a pattern horse in the making, not even all out here'.

Each to their own if you're happy to lay horses with his profile at evens all day long, I guess we have different views of eading his profile. I don't think these Dubai handicaps are any where near as competitive as they appear. I remember British horses like Pentecost and Bahiano winning handicaps at Nad Al Sheba off the sort of marks that would prove beyond them in the UK when they came up against unexposed types. Such horses are thin on the ground at the Carnival.

I take all your points, and the result proves you to be correct about Presvis. However, the one point I would contest is the weights rise - 14 pounds is a hefty rise, and not one that many horses overcome with ease.

I take all your points, and the result proves you to be correct about Presvis. However, the one point I would contest is the weights rise - 14 pounds is a hefty rise, and not one that many horses overcome with ease.

A stone is normally a stiff rise, but everything about Presvis's win at Newbury, including his overall profile, suggested that it wasn't nearly enough. As DJ says, a lot of the Nad Al Sheba handicaps are more competitive in the reading than the running.

It was mentioned last week DJ that some of these Dubai handicaps are effectively conditions races. The presence of certain horses year in year out like Tropical Star and a few others helps as they're either regular Carnival scorers/placers (Gravitas and Crime Scene for instance) or are generally no hopers who run one or two placings each year.

Great run from the ex-US Big City Man - not as impressive as last time out but in a far better race.

5 year old plus this year include the likes of Yeats, Septimus, Soldier Of Fortune, US Ranger,Honolulu while the now 4 year olds include Frozen Fire, Alessandro Volta, Jupiter Pluvius and the well regarded filly Queen Of The Night.

Certainly a lesser looking bunch (outside of the Cup horses) of older horses this season than in past years. Will need a good crop of 3 year olds.

Scratch US Ranger and Queen Of The Night from their list of older horses.

While on the subject of Dubai, did anybody read about a row has developed between Warner Bros, producers of 'The Flintstones' and the Government in Dubai? Warners have refused to license viewing of the series in the Emirate because they feel that the local people will not understand the humour. A spokesman for Sheikh Muhammed spoke of his frustration: "This is a ridiculous decision. How can say that we won't get it when the folks in Abu Dhabi do?"

Back