Dubai Racing Carnival

I pick the Godolphin one IS :D

Seriously, it would be nice for Godolphin to have a good carnival and season in general.

Is Ibn Khaldun due to run in the carnival or did I read he was being aimed at the Earl of Sefton (was it Flame wrote this?)?

I've had bit W&P on Emirates Gold in the next, he will appreciate the distanc emore than some of the other fancied horses, bigger P than W mind!

Post race: I got a run for my money at least LOL

Last edited:
I didn't see it Sheikh but was it Iguazu Falls? If yes, he's pulled extremely hard and gone too fast in most races I've seen him. I had him down as a place lay (see above) but of course left that bet out of all the ones mentioned :o

Just watched it. Nutcase. Seemed Frankie couldn't control him as he lost 4/5 lengths running wide.

He seems to be regressing as well, looking at his record; some loons (like New Approach!) do get better with time and maturity

Third set did it very well, especially from his position rounding the bend. Good to see him come back to form.

My Indy was seriously impressive there. Better things await and even better start from the boys in blue.

Gorgeous horse My Indy - I love those almost black creatures, esp under floodlights!
I've gone for Engrupido and Sugar Ray RFC, with a win bet on SR, just for fun!
Come, on, lucky last!

PS Arrgghh Should have had a place bet on Engrupido instead!

Last edited:
I pick the Godolphin one IS :D

Seriously, it would be nice for Godolphin to have a good carnival and season in general.

Is Ibn Khaldun due to run in the carnival or did I read he was being aimed at the Earl of Sefton (was it Flame wrote this?)?
I'm glad someones winning ;)

Great tip in the last Dave - Crime Scene impressive and Sugar Ray not so :(

Anyone know if Blackat Blackitten is likely to be prepped for the Godolphin Mile?

Really looking forward to the Al Shindagha - normally do ok in the big dirt sprints, it's like watching the Stewards Cup on dirt (and the horses are better class too) :)

It's obvious GS copied my tip :p

Well done Gamla Stan.

He won well to my eyes, with something in hand and there are plenty of options for him in the coming weeks.

Last edited:
Yeah well done to Hamm too, I wrote that for Jamie's website last night, annoyed I left Third Set off that list!

He trains out in the desert (in case nobody picked that up from the show), literally 40 minute drive away with all the arabian endurance horses.

I'm a fan too :)

Apparently the new racecourse at Meydan is being built on top of the old training course so the international trainers like De Kock, Brown etc. have had to do their prep on the main Nad Al Sheba track (according to De Kock). Might influence how they run.

Very interesting card again today.

3.55 Asset - 9/4 .. I think he never got going for Godolphin last season, and is half a stone better than his current mark at the very least. Godolphin had a good start last week, and they are very much a stable to follow when in form, usually September in UK. I'd have a very small saver on Conquest as ability-wise, he's the only horse close to Asset.

4.25 Calming Influence - 7/4 lay. I fancied him for the race, but thought he would be at least 4 or 5 to 1. Wildly inconsistent, and though obvious ability, not one to take a chance on at cramped odds.

5.25 Colony - 6/1. To class handicap form last year, beating Conduit early on in the season, before later winning the King George V Handicap at Royal Ascot. Has very much the profile of an improver, and whilst it's fair to say Durcan would have had first choice, O'Donohoe is far from a negative, and Godolphin (even if not strictly their colours) second strings have a good record.

5.55 Yaddree and Dr Faustus look much too big, and Presvis has gone up a massive 14 pounds since his Newbury win. Also, whilst Cumani is a trainer you'd want to get a horse ready for the later half of the season, his horses often tend to need at least one run.

6.25 Gold Sovereign (before Gamla Stan posts it!) - Very interesting and can't quite work out (draw aside) why he is 33/1. Cracking bet, and am keen to take on Swop for the same reasons as identified above.

Last edited:
Git! I do think it's big but I wasn't going to put it up. Anyone backing Swop at 7/4 must be mental. T-Bird is big in the 6.55 too and I'd be interested in Furnace and Naipe Marcado if they sneaked in as reserves.

I think there's loads of value today in the handicaps like last week but the only two I've backed are:

Noble Bedouin in the 5.25. He clocked a pretty decent time when he won last time out and the step up to 1m4f should suit. He looks progressive and whilst the draw is a worry, he'll probably be dropped out the back anyway so shouldn't hinder him too much. He's no 12/1 shot, certainly some value against the Godolphin horses. Sanbuch is a massive price too, if he was still with Cumani he'd be single figures.

Big City Man in the 6.25 should be about 4/6 not 9/4, his run last time here on 8th January was absurdly quick and comfortable, he looks progressive and he is drawn well compared to his rivals. He will hopefully get the double up for connections.

Others worth mentioning at bigger prices are:

Ard Na Greine and Fullback in the 3.25
Munaddam in the 3.55
Bertranicus in the 4.25
Royal Prince in the 5.55

Might be worth having a placepot, it paid just the 12k last week!

Big Robert looks like it's just been ticking over in 20k handicaps on all-weather of late. Dropping in the weights and being campaigned more realistically by new connections means he's overpriced for me at double figures.

They went some gallop in that conditions race just. Don't think he was overly active on the runner-up either and the De Kock horses running better than they have been :)

Very lazy form studying from myself. Munnadam has run 5 times at Nad al Sheba, which has resulted in 3 wins and 2 places. 14/1. Previous course form is extremely important here, and Crime Scene another example of this last week at 18/1.

Last edited:
Back