Dubai

Originally posted by Gareth Flynn@Mar 29 2008, 04:10 PM
The horse is better than a handicapper,
He was beaten by Wise Dennis in February. I know you`re Mr Positive on here but c`mon that was awful.

Between this and the third rate racing at Kempton where every contest seems to play out the same way i cannot wait for the Guineas.

Jay Peg not the most obvious selection, but full marks to connections for turning up with a horse at the top of his form.

Leaving aside the Bin Suroor horses, why have so many UK trainers seemingly ignored this meeting? Are we witnessing another Yarmouth-type strike?

He only failed by a length to give a solid G3 horse Lord Admiral 6lbs last time out.

Not saying he's anything special; just that he really is better than a handicapper. No doubt that race tactics gave him a huge advantage today.

You have to be invited to a certain extent, and horses have to be rated over a certain figure.
It's not that easy to get a run! Several horses were prepared to race here but never got in, inc a couple racing today at Kempton

Originally posted by Headstrong@Mar 29 2008, 04:27 PM
You have to be invited to a certain extent, and horses have to be rated over a certain figure.
His official mark is 113. That is handicap territory for a five year old imo.

Godolphin horses in the main are running very poorly.

Alot of these races are a bit meaningly- they are going so slow.

Darjina might have been unlucky and while she is a good filly I would be disappointed if there was not one or two to beat her in the Queen Anne. She got her ground today but was still in a bunch finish.

Originally posted by Galileo@Mar 29 2008, 04:52 PM

Darjina might have been unlucky and while she is a good filly I would be disappointed if there was not one or two to beat her in the Queen Anne. She got her ground today but was still in a bunch finish.
Can`t think of any older milers who are better to be honest.

Fair point about the older milers Euro...but one or two will pop up.

But the point I was making about this filly last year still stands. Take out her run against Ramonti and George Washington (which was a weird race) and she is nothing more than a decent Group 1-ish mare. Her efforts in England (Ascot) also don't inspire much confidence.

Originally posted by betsmate@Feb 24 2008, 02:32 PM
A nice prep for the world cup by Vermilion in Tokyo this morning.

Curlin rightly short-priced favourite, but if anyone can this one can imo. Small win, decent place.

Originally posted by Galileo@Mar 29 2008, 05:01 PM
Her efforts in England (Ascot) also don't inspire much confidence.
I agree neither the soft ground race or the good-soft one. Even today was only good. I maintain she will be seen at her best on quick ground.

Soumillon reckons she was a prep run short of peak fitness and will come on for the race.

Originally posted by betsmate@Mar 29 2008, 06:10 PM
Soumillon reckons she was a prep run short of peak fitness and will come on for the race.
Sounds like Sir Percy last season. Who would send a horse all the way to Dubai at this stage of the season and not have her ready? I take the comments (that we always hear from beaten European horses at Dubai) with a pinch of salt.

Now that we are on the topic...what older milers are there this year?

Sir Percy was a hype horse who had things fall for him ar 2 and set up for him in the Derby. His defeat here last year was purely through lack of ability and was well expected (I posted it often enough!).

Re: not turning up ready. I am not suggesting for a second that the trainer left anything to work on, but early on in the season for a filly and first run. Perhaps it was an excuse but it sounds plausible to me.

Hurrah for Sun Classique!

With Idiot Proof's narrow defeat, I thought it was going to be one of those days. 15/2 nice price.

Had a little bet on Vermilion, but won't moan if Curlin runs like he looks and blasts home.

Yes Hurrah for Sun classique [I had a big place bet] but

HURRAH for Curlin - and for Asiatic Boy who got me my place bet as well - and the forecast!!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

But what can you say about Curlin, horse of a lifetime

Originally posted by Euronymous@Mar 29 2008, 05:37 PM
Hope he didn`t beat DM`s time.
I believe Jay Peg broke the track record in the Duty Free. I don't know whether that is down to the unusual distance though?

Back