Ebor 2024

Desert Orchid

Senior Jockey
Just had my first look at next Saturday's race and it's shaping up as a bit of a cracker. I just hope the good horses all stand their ground.

With a max field of 22 the current #22 on the list is Magical Zoe on OR 102. I think there are a couple of races earlier in the year with 'win and you're in' status so there might be something below that mark guaranteed a run.

You need to go down to entry #32 (Sea King 99) before ORs dip below 100 so it could end up - as it should - the highest quality handicap of the season.

The 5-day decs are tomorrow so I won't be looking any more closely at the race until after that but I'm really looking forward to it.

Anyone got any firm thoughts?

All that matters to me is that my beloved Wise Eagle comes back safe and sound. Can’t believe that my favourite horse is running in my favourite race. Having said that I did prefer it when it was ran on the Wednesday with more lowly horses running in it. But my judgement might be clouded by the fact that I had a knack of picking the winner back then. And I much preferred the old pre parade where the horses used to walk round under the dappled shade of the trees and Nanton was a standing dish.

I must be one bad judge :mad: I look and can't believe that City of Troy is odds against in one of the worst renewals of the Juddmonte I can.
remember.

Calandagan' defeat of Space Legend is well short of Group 1 form. Space legend having finished last of 4 since is hardly a boost.

Ambient Friendly is trip-less. I expect he'll run well but he lacks that all important finishing punch. Simply can't have him other than to be placed.

Blue Stocking is the only one I give a chance to other than City of Troy. She beat Emily Upjohn fair and square.

Goliath beat her but that was one of these weird races where nothing ran to form and is best ignored.

City of Troy
Blue Stocking for the forecast

City of Troy for the win

I'm on Calandagan, he was impressive at Ascot and Space Legend wasn't suited to the small field nonsense at the July Course. I think he could be group 1 class but it's one of those where I'm kind of trusting my instinct on that rather than the names of the horses he beat.

It's not a fantastic renewal but it is nice to see a big field for the race. I would say it's better than last year and the one Japan won and I'd argue the one that Ulysses won as well....so far from one of the worst renewals

That race aside tomorrow is a grand day's racing. The Acomb is mouth watering and my only other bet is Great Bedwyn in the stayers handicap. He's my longest running tracker horse and I think this step up to two miles will suit given how he finished at Goodwood in to be honest a better race than this one.

Rulling Court looked worth every penny the paid for him.
I fully expect him to win the Acomb with ease 10/11 So I'll grab that 8/1 for the Guineas now.

I will also have more on City Of Troy if Rulling Court does win...4/1 double very tempting

Agree City Of Troy looks a laydown,likewise Los Angeles.
I'll take Spirit Mixer in the 2m race.
Cracking card.

If luck is in and you catch a couple of early winner bail out early. The last 3 races turn the York meeting into a total farce..
.I personally get absolutely no joy out of watching these pin sticking cavalry charges

Here's a wee story for you: Firstly well done John Quinn winning with JM Jungle.

It must be 20 years ago Brian Jordan of Jordan Electrics was introduced to me by an old friend Malcolm Chambers.

First thing that comes to mind was how much money the guy was worth even as a young man. We are talking millions.

He had invested 7 figures into a Pierce Brosnon movie called the Grey Owl who was already 007 and the thing flopped
but it was like water off a ducks back.

He asked me to find him a high class house to buy and to be honest I had no idea as I was just into real estate and never sold a house.

Anyway another agent, s friend, pointed me in the right direction. Of we went to an area called Ramkhanhaeng to meet the owners manager,

Asking price was 65 million baht..........I had pound signs like stars hovering round my head lol Brian was not impressed with the house
He asked the lady if she had a better area and she rplied the Royals have a house in this street.......his reply was f off you silly cow.

I never did sell him anything but I heard he had bought some mansion in Phuket........strange guy typical Scot who never gave a fuck

Rulling Court looked worth every penny the paid for him.
I fully expect him to win the Acomb with ease 10/11 So I'll grab that 8/1 for the Guineas now.

I will also have more on City Of Troy if Rulling Court does win...4/1 double very tempting
Aiden just keeps pulling rabbits out the hat :mad: His followers must be chomping at the bit now with Los Angeles having also won

Last edited:
I think the prevailing conditions are a big factor regarding the record time but it goes down as a brilliant ride from Moore. They aren't getting to the leaders today from off the pace and he pretty much did a Roberto on the favourite.

Decent form but, for me, pegged back by the 112-rated Ghostwriter.

The Eclipse form is rubbish. The second third and fourth were opponents rated 114, 112 and 109. They were off those marks for a reason.

And yet GW backs up with another good run.....:unsure: and the winner smashes the course record. Think GW is underrated personally.

I can accept that he is under-rated ( have him on 113 :p) but the runner-up today is only rated 117 and COT has only beaten him a length.

Back down the years, this race has thrown up some of the iffiest results in racing. Conditions today were freakishly quick.

So today COT broke the track record "by some distance" according to the TV.

I couldn't find the track record anywhere online but if COT has beaten it by some distance the chances are Calandagan was inside the old record too, and Ghostwriter might well have been close to it.

Track records have been held up and down the country by moderate horses. Knockroe once broke the 12f record at Epsom under 10st in a handicap, if memory serves.

When I get round to analysing the times I'm pretty much expecting a colossally fast going allowance but I have to emphasise that it doesn't detract at all from one of the rides of the season by Moore.

Extensio's win quite possibly the story of the season.
A family pet, usually ridden by owner/trainers daughter as good as it gets.
Pat O'Donnell has run about ten horses in flat/NH races in the past 12 months and to win here is quite something.
As he said, you get one good horse in your life and this is his.
He enjoyed his trip to York far more than APOB did, ad will enjoy his trip home more as well !

So today COT broke the track record "by some distance" according to the TV.

I couldn't find the track record anywhere online but if COT has beaten it by some distance the chances are Calandagan was inside the old record too, and Ghostwriter might well have been close to it.

Track records have been held up and down the country by moderate horses. Knockroe once broke the 12f record at Epsom under 10st in a handicap, if memory serves.
Yup. Wind assisted. A race earlier was also a record. Rather amusing I have to say.

The French horse deserves a mark up.

Back