Ebor

This week, I think.

I really like Saptapadi for this. He's rated 105 so is sure to get in and it's hard to imagine a more eye-catching prep than his run in the John Smith's Cup.

Stick me down as another fully paid up member of the Saptapadi fan club. I was tempted to refuse to back the winner of this in protest at it being moved to Saturday but relented.

So obvious, in fact, that he's still widely available at 16/1 with several preferred to him in the betting for what is now a limited handicap for older horses with a thereby reduced risk of a big improver lurking lower down the weights. Get on him, Colin.

Dunno if Fox Hunt is an intended runner or whether Johnston will find something at Goodwood but I've taken some 16s anyway.

According to his trainer, Saptapadi "runs on Saturday in the Sky Bet York Stakes and we'll see after that. If he wins there he won't run in the Ebor."

He's got a stiff task on Saturday but I feel an "insurance" bet coming on...

Saptapadi's run today was a very good one indeed at the weights. He's understandably been cut in price for the Ebor and he goes there with a great chance.

Ah yes; bit of paper on my desk saying Saptapadi; stayed on strongly, hampered. Not going to the Ebor this year, sadly and haven't looked at it properly yet because of that. Western Pearl is on the same bit of paper, and I see that my old friend Hits Only Vic who loves York has an entry..not sure why he's been off for a year though. Must check out the latest list of runners. Looking for one that will sneak in at the bottom of the handicap with a claimer on board....

Lost In the Moment who shaped in similar fashion to Saptapadi in the John Smith's Cup, chrugged aside my stamina questions for this sort of test with a much-improved and unlucky second in the Goodwood Cup. But for meeting interference 2f out, he possibly would have won. He avoids a penalty, and would meet the likes of the third and fourth on much better terms than he took them on at today. With his stamina now proven, and having a piece of form that suggests he's the pick of the weights, I'm surprised he isn't yet clear favourite.

Lost In the Moment who shaped in similar fashion to Saptapadi in the John Smith's Cup, chrugged aside my stamina questions for this sort of test with a much-improved and unlucky second in the Goodwood Cup. But for meeting interference 2f out, he possibly would have won. He avoids a penalty, and would meet the likes of the third and fourth on much better terms than he took them on at today. With his stamina now proven, and having a piece of form that suggests he's the pick of the weights, I'm surprised he isn't yet clear favourite.

Definitely should have won. RUK picked it up, he was checked, had to go round four horses on the outside and still only beaten a head.

I wouldn't normally bet AP in handicaps but what mark will he race off?

Joseph O'Brien is to ride for the Queen, Michael Bell has booked him for Tactician.

JOSEPH O'BRIEN is to ride for the Queen in next month's Ebor at York. He will be aboard lightly raced stayer Tactician, which is currently 12/1 joint-third favourite with race sponsor Betfred.

O'Brien (18) was recently in the spotlight when chosen by his father Aidan O'Brien to partner St Nicholas Abbey in the King George VI And Queen Elizabeth Stakes at Ascot. The colt finished third to Nathaniel in a dramatic renewal.

Tactician's trainer Michael Bell said: "Joseph is the best 3lb claimer in Britain and Ireland, and he rides extremely well. I have informed the queen that he will ride Tactician, and she is delighted."

What do you reckon to that gus? Personally, I think he's a horse that is potentially tricky, I'd be concerned he might pull for Fallon. I'd prefer Pickard, who's ridden him the last twice and would be able to claim 3lb.

Tom Segal has him down as a potential non-stayer, doesn't he? It's based on Saptapadi's perceived keenness and he's certainly raced quite freely in the past but not noticeably so in his last two runs although that might just be down to the stronger pace at 10f. I think he'll stay 14f well but I must say I expected and would have been happy with Pickard riding him in the Ebor, dropping him out and picking them off up the straight. I don't regard Fallon as a negative as such but I don't think he's the force of old and I'm not as happy about it as I would have been a few years back. And certainly horses do sometimes seem to pull for Fallon.

Can't say I considered stamina a problem. Was encouraged with how he did settle at York last time given how few of them did off such a crawl. Think Lost In The Moment will give him a hell of a race, but not losing faith yet.

Bit of an update on this. Spencer picks up a ban which rules him out of the race and likely ride on Mount Athos presuambly whilst Buick has also picked up a suspension that rules him out too.

I'm in a good position ante-post with Saptapadi (20's) and Lost In The Moment (14's) but feel a cover bet might well be a good idea on Blissful Moment. He's run really well kept to a mile and a half on both starts this year but again looked as though a step up to 14f would suit when runner-up in the DofE last time. That form is working out well. Fox Hunt has run a couple of crackers whilst Averoes and Ile de Re have both come out an won since.

Zuider Zee who Buick would presumably have ridden also ran well today looking as if 14f will be the making of him. He might be more doubtful though having run today as the race is just a fortnight away.

Haven't looked forward to this so much in ages, damn you York executive for switching in to the Saturday when I won't be in attendance.

I ignored the Stoute horse last year which I thought wouldn't stay [2nd?], so I'm quite keen on Blissful Moment. Like Dynaformers' as well. Fancied Vulcanite also, but don't think he ran well last time. Where is the cut off point likely to be? We're not going this year, either. My favourite race, the Ebor. Going to treat myself to a good look at the race this week; bit short of time these days.

The draw has done Saptapadi and Lost In The Moment no favours at all. Modun is well drawn but the ground and trip are both worries. Nehaam looks a decent price at about 20/1.

Back