Epsom Derby 2012

RUGGED CROSS
"On A Hill far away stood an Old Rugged Cross
The emblem of suffering and shame"
If the faraway hill is Tattenham Hill then this horse wont be standing but fighting his corner like his ancestors and relatives. Whether he is left standing is another matter.
Rugged Cross is by Cape Cross out of one of the most rugged dam lines in the stud book, horses mostly trained by Clive Brittain. Luso, Warsaan, Needle Gun and Cloud Castle are all out of grandam Lucayan Princess. Had the said Clive realised Aldebran was just 65 light years away they may well have raced there as well as everywhere else!
Cape Cross has enjoyed Epsom success with Sea The Stars and Ouija Board but is still not exactly fashionable with the cognesenti. In this regard he reminds me a little of Great Nephew who sired Grundy, Shergar and Mrs Penny but is largely forgotten now. A second Derby winner might do the trick.
His debut last July was promising, finishing 5th behind Jungle Beatand Farhaan. York in August provided him with a victory in The Convivial maiden leaving one time Epsom fancies Athens and Thomas Chippindale in his wake.
His first run this year was a promising third behind Thought Worthy. On his first encounter with good to firm going he acquitted himself well . His finish ahead of Farhaan implies improvement from 2 to 3.
Trainer Henry Candy is not the type to think his geese are swans. Having had a Derby runner up in Master Willie 1980 he must consider his charge good enough to run. That High Line appears in the 3rd generation must enthuse the trainer also.
This horse is on an upward curve and if his relatives are any guide should be racing for a long time. There may well be a Derby in this horse even if it is more likely to be in Germany, Winter or Dingle under a pseudonym!
40 to1 is a fair representation of his price Saturday but many are old enough to remember Snow Knight in 74.

Epson?

You've either spent too much time listening to Aidan O'Brien or you're shamelessly using the forum to plug a printer company. :D

It did occur to me I had it spelt wrong but you're right I'm a victim of phonetics. Back of the class for me.

Maybe Trackside could write something about the horses form and I will join them together.

Wouldn't want to see a Talking horses homie snuffed out like this, unless he wants to be.

I'm drunk and lost...

The horse will be bloody run over. His entries are nose bleed stuff.

Brilliant work guys, and well done to everyone who took part, including me:)

The preview thread is finalised. The only thing I screwed up was the title which should have had the year in, which I can't edit, nevermind.

Last edited:
May I also congratulate all who participated. It reminds me of the good old days watching tv when Jimmy Lindley would wax lyrical about horses, jockeys and trainers in a relaxed, easy going manner that always did his subjects justice. His review of The Waterford Crystal mile 1981 To Agori Mou vs Moorestyle was a classic. If anyone can find it on youtube please post the link. Thanks to Marble for the finishing touches . Commiserations to those whose runners were not declared . Hope we can do this again.

Jimmy Lindley would wax lyrical about horses, jockeys and trainers in a relaxed, easy going manner that always did his subjects justice. His review of The Waterford Crystal mile 1981 To Agori Mou vs Moorestyle was a classic.
You're Jimmy's son, right? That's the only possible explanation of how anyone could wax lyrical about his assessments. All he did was wax lyrical about every horse, every jockey, every trainer, every owner, every lad/lass to the point of making his lyrical waxing totally tautological.

You're Jimmy's son, right? That's the only possible explanation of how anyone could wax lyrical about his assessments. All he did was wax lyrical about every horse, every jockey, every trainer, every owner, every lad/lass to the point of making his lyrical waxing totally tautological.

Wonder if he gave Clare B a lyrical waxing?

Maybe why her raspberry ripples used to stick out so far :blink:

Watching ATR's preview with David Lanigan hasn't Main Sequence got the biggest nostrils you've seen in a horse?

Might be a future Champion Hurdler.

Brough Scott on BBC2 just now could hardly be more unimpressed with Camelot thus far.

Says it all for me, a man of his experience and intelligence who has been there and seen it was a fan of Bonfire.

Well done to everyone on their Derby profiles

informative and appreciated-thank you

Last edited:
If anyone fancies some 4/5 about Camelot winning the Derby then dutch Boylesports and Sportingbet's Camelot winning distance markets:

Boyles Over 1.5 lengths @ 5/2
Sportingbet Under 2 lengths @ 5/2

Last edited:
If anyone fancies some 5/4 about Camelot winning the Derby then dutch Boylesports and Sportingbet's Camelot winning distance markets:

Boyles Over 1.5 lengths @ 5/2
Sportingbet Under 2 lengths @ 5/2

Does that work out at 5/4? Tho a winning distance of 1 3/4L would be ideal.

Feels a bit of a flat day really. Not the buzz there usually is.

I have 5/2 about Camelot for smallish money and have added Bonfire who looks the only danger.

If there were 16 or 17 runners with two or three confirmed pace setters i'd be opposing the front two. Unfortunately I can see a similar scenario to yesterday occuring. In which case it's a two horse race.

Last edited:
I was impressed with him at York and wouldn't normally be involved but I can see them going slow in this like they did yesterday. In which case he has a lively chance.

they may well go slow to make sure Camelot gets the trip so who knows..in fact you can bet it won't be a strong test which could bring other doubtful stayers into it...can see some shock placers tbh..like yesterday

its the oddest Derby for years with such few runners..seems a non event

i just hope that Camelot wins very easily to give us something to look forward to

wrote that whilst you were doing yours

its not a betting race for me tbh..i don't fancy anything to beat the fav and i would rather just watch him win

i hope he wins just so Bruce ain't ramming it down us throat for "the rest of our lives"

Back