Epsom Derby

To win of course, but I doubt he would have been beaten by Redback or whoever finished third.

As little as I like him, looking at the form and assuming it' good ground or better Septimus must by far the most likely winner of the Dante. Although it's unlikely to happen I think Hurricane Cat would be most likely to finish second based on what's there to see.

Galileo in answer to you query:

Dylan Thomas by Danehill (AWD 9 furlongs) out of a Diesis (AWD 9.5 furlongs) mare.

Three stamina points in Dosage profile. Chances of getting 12 furlongs although the headline numbers say he may just fall short of the trip.

His dam Lagrion failed to win any of her 14 races, but was placed at 10, 11 and 13 furlongs.

Profile 4-5-16-1-2 = 28, DI = 1.55, CD = +0.29

There are others in the Derby I’d be more confident about getting the trip, but he is not a forlorn cause. Danehill tends to upgrade in terms of ability what the dam offers in stamina.

True. I've a sneaking feeling that suny may be right about him not being good enough though. There are several other I prefer.

Could well be right, but he is a smashing type and as we have seen this season, very dangerous to judge a Ballydoyle colt first time out.

"very dangerous to judge a Ballydoyle colt first time out. " True time the thieving so and so 's were hauled in for schooling in public.

DT, who was not race fit today. Mountain had already run in the Ballysax. I don't mean over a longer trip just to clarify.

Basically I feel he was about 4 pounds bette today (not rocket science) and has at least 6 pounds improvement. While he's no 125+ horse I was impressed and belive at least at this distance he could be as good as anything at this age group.

Dylan Thomas's pedigree looks to me like that of a 10f performer. It's not impossible he could get 12f, but it looks pretty unlikely.

His sire, Danehill, we know to be neutral in terms of the stamina traits he imparts to his offspring, and his broodmare sire, Diesis, can also get good winners over a variety of distances, although not to same marked extent as Danehill.

There's not much in the bottom half of the pedigree which suggests 12f is the distance to be passed on to Danehill to work his magic on, there's a mixture of speedy types and middle distance animals, you'd "sort of average it out" at around 10f.

The race is ceetainly called The Derby and not The Epsom Derby. I suppose though with so many Derbies of one sort or another it at least leaves us in no doubt to which one we are referring even if not quite correct.

Back