Epsom Derby

I imagine his price may well depend on whether Horatio N does an Alexandrova like gallop at Ballydoyle.

Shortest price since Entrepeneur ALREADY. Something has to win the Dante. Stats suggest the winner comes from Derrisntown, Dee, Lingfield or Dante. Those four are in it. If Septimus or Hurricane cat win the Dante then O'Brien will have the winner of two of the four proper trials and yet Fallon will not be on either.

If Septimus wins on Thursday, these line up and Sir P doesn't run, as seems to be the case I see the field something like:

2/1 Visindar
3/1 Horatio Nelson
6/1 Septimus
7/1 Dylan Thomas
7/1 Linda's Lad
10/1 bar

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one then! I think Visindar is going to shorten up considerably from now on up until the day of the race. I really don't think there will be 2s about on the day of the race unless osmething comes out of the woodwork - at the moment horses are dropping like flies. The fact that Laddies are 6/4 about Visindar 3 weeks before the race certainly indicates to me that unless something drastic happens from now until the race, Visindar will go off a very short price.

Can I see where both sides are coming from regarding how short he will be. Alot will depend on Ballydoyle confidence.

Look at Galileo, Golan a Stoute horse winning a 2000 Guineas off one run and looks a world beater at the time yet Ballydoyle confidence in Galileo led him to going off joint favourite for the race off two decent but very unspectacular trials.

I'm on Snoqualmie Boy @ 33's for the Dante and will probably stick a few quid on the 390 thats available for Epsom. I expect The Geezer like improvement from him, he's learning all the time and has always been very well thought of. Obviously theres a long way to go from winning a handicap off 82, but I think he's well overpriced, given that he should run a massive race in the Dante.

He didn't exactly float past them, but it's easily the most visually impressive trial so far, and he's destroyed Bremen who has decent form with Gentlewave and Linda's Lad.

If he turns up to Epsom I'll be with Linda's Lad, I didn't desert WITP last year and I'll be sticking with the same policy this year. Visindar may well be the next Shergar or Sea Bird or Secretariat but I'll take a chance and be on ew with LL.

Linda's Lad should be better suited to the trip. I just don't know if Fabre will run two of them, despite different owners, etc. That Fabre can be a little tinker when he likes.

Yeah he can, though I feel the reduction in trip of the French Derby will be increase the chances of him running at Epsom, had there been two 12f G1 3yo races that weekend I'd be a little more sceptical but I don't think there's a lot for him in France till the GP De Paris (around Bastille Day?)

Gareth
Bremen didnt run to form.Forget him to rate todays race.

Lindas Lad is a better proposition for the Derby.

There are a fair few Derby's out there, 200+ in the US alone. I kindly point out to any US racing fan I can why the Kentucky Derby is called the Kentucky Derby

Isn't that just like an American? Not content with just one (copy), they have to have 200 of the damned things.

It is, though to be fair they do have ten times as many G1's as we do too, resulting in numerous 4 or 5 horses top races such as the Florida Derby or the Wood Memorial. In addition to this countless G3 and G2 sprints with just a hatful of runners, such as the recent Bold Ruler Handicap which had something like 6 entries at the early entry stage.

But they can't reduce the number due to the East/West rivalry that always seems to exist and the various circuits, pretty similar to running a Group 1 12f race at Redcar just so the horses in Middleham don't have to travel to Ascot for the King George.

To be honest if you asked any non racing person to name a Derby, it is more likely to be the Kentucky Derby than the Epsom Derby. Anyways have named the thread and its staying!

Any of my non racing friends would not have a clue that "the Derby" as ye call it is run at Epsom....not a clue.

I could understand it if they thought of the Irish Derby ahead of the Epsom version, but the Kentucky Derby?

Originally posted by sunybay@May 15 2006, 07:08 PM
Gareth
Bremen didnt run to form.Forget him to rate todays race.

Lindas Lad is a better proposition for the Derby.
Agreed Bremen was never going.

Originally posted by Galileo@May 15 2006, 08:04 PM
To be honest if you asked any non racing person to name a Derby, it is more likely to be the Kentucky Derby than the Epsom Derby. Anyways have named the thread and its staying!
:lol:

That must be a joke

Deadly serious, most people I know would never have heard of Epsom....don't find it in the least surprising more know of (however vaguely) of the Kentucky Derby.

Most people in the UK will have heard of the Derby and know it was run in England even if they do not know it is at Epsom . I find it hard to believe that the same does not apply in Ireland , where there seems to be rather more widespread interest in racing .

"Deadly serious, most people I know would never have heard of Epsom"

Most people I know would have heard if it, even if it was via the Salts that usually followed it.

Back in the good old days, when the Derby took place on a Wednsday the whole of the UK knew about it and, they had a wager as well.

Today it is hum drum and takes third or fourth place to other sporting events taking place on THE Saturday.

Muses, i wonder how many days this post will take to appear, if at all. :D

Back