Equine Retirements, Long Term Injuries and Departures

Very upset to hear that Cavalryman broke down at Meydan today; I love that horse and am praying that he'll pull through. I don't know the extent of his injury.

Thanks Frankel; just caught up with the latest on him. Tears before bedtime chez mo methinks.

Oh that's sad. Am thinking of those lovely wedding photos that Paddy Brennan had taken with Nacarat in them. Marlborough must have been some age. If only they could all have such good, long retirements.

I would imagine that all those c*nts the farmers many of whom lost their long built up dairy herds would probably agree with you. For someone who was based in the middle of it all in Devon, I can tell you that losing a race meeting was a minute event compared to what I saw going on around me. If you had witnessed the lorries full of dead animals dripping blood along the road, the pyres of smoke filling the air every where you turned. And don't anyone give me that bollox about them getting compensation - there were at least 3 farmers who committed suicide that I know of locally, having lost their animals. My parents smallholding was the next farm to be culled only for Tony Blair to halt the contiguous cull in order to get re-elected. They would have been devastated to have lost their sheep all of which they had bred and many hand-reared.

I was working in race planning during the Foot and mouth crisis. It was my job to plot the cases and phone the trainers to tell them they count send runners from their stables.

Losing Cheltenham was a nightmare and so was sorting out the Sandown races, but we did it in very short notice.

Marlborough had a good long life, so sad that Nacarat didn't have the same. Both wonderful horses.

I would imagine that all those c*nts the farmers many of whom lost their long built up dairy herds would probably agree with you. For someone who was based in the middle of it all in Devon, I can tell you that losing a race meeting was a minute event compared to what I saw going on around me. If you had witnessed the lorries full of dead animals dripping blood along the road, the pyres of smoke filling the air every where you turned. And don't anyone give me that bollox about them getting compensation - there were at least 3 farmers who committed suicide that I know of locally, having lost their animals. My parents smallholding was the next farm to be culled only for Tony Blair to halt the contiguous cull in order to get re-elected. They would have been devastated to have lost their sheep all of which they had bred and many hand-reared.

FFS. I was only joking*.

* I would have killed the wanker that allowed his sheep to stray onto the racecourse though.

Back