Equine Retirements, Long Term Injuries and Departures

I see that Sam got a ban for not riding him out after the last as he could have gotten third place, Lord jaysus have these clowns any common sense at all

I see the stewards' point. The Waley Cohens are shouting off about Sam not riding a finish because of the welfare of the horse blah blah. If SWC was so concerned about LR's welfare that he genuinely felt he was not capable of being ridden out, then he should have pulled him up.

I watched the race yesterday and Long run was legless half a mile out. A Gold Cup winner making his comeback being heavily whipped when making tired jumps and well beaten would show the sport in a bad light. The flip side is Long Run doesn't deserve to finish his career with a PU at the end of his race record.

He clearly wasn't running for a mark, he'd have finished 3rd in a 7 runner at best, and the owner/trainer wasn't concerned about prizemoney as it was his extremely wealthy father. I'd say all things considered Waley-Cohen did exactly the right thing, and the Stewards have shown themselves to be completely brainless.

I don't agree. You enter any competition and you agree to abide by the rules. He broke this one and has to face the consequences just like Joe Bloggs. He should have pulled up. If it was good enough for Kauto Star in his last race it's certainly good enough for Long Run.

A rather sad end to Long Run's career- he may well have been the most overrated Gold Cup winner ever as ratings obsessives like John Randall failed to see that Denman was in decline , Kauto in convalescence and Imperial Commander was probably going to win on the bridle that day but he was still a very good horse .

Sam Waley Cohen's ban upheld at the appeal hearing; he misses the Grand National.

The BHA has now granted SWC and Nina Carberry special dispensation to ride in the Nash as the wording of the rules was ambiguous. Great news for the pair of them but once again one has to despair at the clowns running this sport

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The reason is that nobody at the BHA took account of the fact that there is an amateurs and conditionals handicap hurdle - amateurs are only banned in the days that amateur hurdles and chases are run and amateur / conditional bumpers - as they are not technically banned when an amateur/ conditional hurdle is run they are not banned in National day .

Two of the horses which ran in the Foxhunters and failed to complete have been pts I am afraid, Clonbanan Lad and I think the other was Marasonnien

Montendre has died ( been announced on the greatwood Facebook page) "Colic and cardiac problems"
d64a299103502302942026ba5049d480.jpg
279484b5fc6774d27c2db2460793a002.jpg

Minella Reception lost too unfortunately.

What a shame - RIP Minella Reception and Gullinbursti, commiserations to their connections :(

Great to see Somersby retired in one piece though - he seems to have been around for ever - brilliant horse

Back