Equine Retirements, Long Term Injuries and Departures

Just heard that the wonderful Monets Garden has passed away. Don't know the details. What a fabulous horse and all credit to connections who got him through those potentially fatal foot problems so he could have a happy retirement. Think I'm going to cry....

Just heard that the wonderful Monets Garden has passed away. Don't know the details. What a fabulous horse and all credit to connections who got him through those potentially fatal foot problems so he could have a happy retirement. Think I'm going to cry....
Lovely racehorse. One of my faves.. R.I.P

I loved him, he was such a gorgeous horse.

RIP Old boy xx

Jumped 441 hurdles or fences and never fell.

Barters Hill retired.

Good. Hopefully a long and happy retirement.

On a separate note but sorry had to voice it, Daryl Jacob looked really, really sore bless him and there was a distinct lack of help for him after that fall at Newbury. Very upsetting and disappointing to see. A very slow reaction to catching the horses too who came down at the water as the horses didn't gallop off and were 'looking' for someone to grab hold of them.

Last edited:
Euxton Lane - apparently went down overnight and couldn’t get up. Never recovered from his fall and ( thankfully) was still at Leahurst.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clearly time for me to reprise my well-worn “Dato Star is the best horse never to win a Champion Hurdle” routine......apart from Golden Cygnet, obvs. :thumbsup:

Bit before my time Hawk Wing, just read up about him though.
I'll revise it then, My Tent was one of the best horses never to win the Champion Hurdle.

Golden Cygnet was a bit before my time as well (a bit), but while MTOY was a very good horse and placed in several Champions in a lukewarm era. He wouldnt be near the top my list of great hurdlers. Not too many spring to mind though that didnt win the champion. More often potential that was unfulfilled. Browne's Gazette definitely, Mighty Mogul maybe.

And Golden Cygnet didn't actually run in a CH, so wasn't actually tested. Bird's Nest might be a good shout as the best horse not to win a CH - rated 176.

Ah, this game has been played before: Best horse to run and not win a champion hurdle = Flyingbolt. We know that Birds Nest was a talented monkey and that Golden Cygnet was rated the same as a novice, and even on his Ayr form would have won Champion hurdles - Birds Nest, Sea Pigeon or Night Nurse in opposition. Anyway the point is that I was underwhelmed by MTOY - 2lbs better than The New One would be more my take on his talents. Even Theatreworld could finish second in three champions.

Back