Excellent Hotels

Gamla Stan

At the Start
Seen as we're discussing horrible hotels, anyone stayed in any nice ones?!

Clarion in Stockholm wins for me, amazing beds, bathroom and the best breakfast I've ever had.
Bonnington in London impressed me considering it wasn't too pricey for London.
H10 Universitat in Barcelona was also exceptional for the money paid.

The Posadas in Spain are much pricier than they used to be but most of them are gorgeous, at least to look at from the outside.

The Movenpick in Prague. A top class breakfast and a great room with a lovely view

The Grange City Plaza in London

The Hyatt in Birmingham.

Just back two weeks ago from a week at The Ashford Hotel in Cong, Co. Mayo. Superb!

It was brilliant, Aidan. My father is from Killala, Nr. Ballina so we used Cong as a base, and we explored Connemara, Galway and the surrounding area.

A few photos of the hotel:

ANDYANDKATHYGOTOIRELANDASHFORDCA-2.jpg

ANDYANDKATHYGOTOIRELANDASHFORDCA-1.jpg

ANDYANDKATHYGOTOIRELANDASHFORDCASTL.jpg

Colin, their "published tariff" was ludicrously expensive. I managed to negotiate a rather special deal. Tourism is quiet in Ireland so there are some bargains to be had, especially if you are persistant like me! :D

The Atlantic Coast Hotel in Westport, Mayo was excellent. They do great deals during the winter months, basically B&B rates with a dinner or two thrown in. The food is also fantastic.

Perth in general is a nice place from what I remember of my two visits there. Particularly love the houses on the riverbank :)

Also in St Ives, the Primrose Valley Hotel is superb. It's only a small guesthouse-type place but the quality is excellent.

The Celtic Manor is pretty good, too.

The Marriott resort in Goa for me - paradise on earth - drinking Kingfisher beer in the 50m swimming pool while watching dolphins in the sea. 47 staff members per customer and Mango cheescake to die for - just a shame I got the runs and spent three days in my room sipping water and watching repeats of premier league games (usually 0-0 draws involving Bolton). And don't get me started on passport control at the bloody airport. Cornwall for me this year.

I am sure filty rich people like Lord Hartigan wouldn't be seen dead in one of these. This was my "other" hotel the week after returning from Castle Ashford.

ANDYKATHYGOTOLOUTHTOSEEKATY-QFOA-12.jpg

If you look closely you can see Barney in the passenger seat! Yep, it has a chemical toilet! :P

I am no snob, and I am definitely not filthy rich. I just like to sample those things in life I can afford, and some of those things that I can't! :)

Back