Exercise

Cricket and horse riding? Meh. If it`s vigarous exercise or the sports that you have to be the fittest to take part in at the highest level i wouldn`t look beyond swimming and skiing.

The absolute best aerobic exercise is cross country skiing, no other exercise gives as much benefit to aerobic fitness

Bar - you are obviously biased against cricket but it is a sport, why make stupid, ill informed comments that are obviously intended to just provoke a reaction, cricket provides vigorous exercise for all players, how much exercise does a goalkeeper get for instance?

Originally posted by ovverbruv@Jul 23 2006, 09:55 PM

cricket provides vigorous exercise for all players,
I`m not having that, if you`re a batter who fields in the slips where`s the exercise there?

running between wickets. Cricketers have come a long way. the pros have anyway, obviously, you will get your Inzaman and Ian Austin etc but more and more of them are fitter.

Euro, a batter hits a century, say 50% are boundaries. That means he will have to run the other fifty. As a wicket is 22 yards, and generally they over-run the crease that will entail running about 50 times 25 yards which is 1250 yards. Now usually this is at a canter, but about 200 yards will be at full pace.

How you dont think 200 sprinted yards in about 4 hours is not exercise is beyond me. Admittedly not all batters get a century everytime though.

Originally posted by PDJ@Jul 23 2006, 09:10 PM
I note that you didn't answer my question about what you can do on a horse that places 8 times your body weight on your ankles. Interesting........
What if the horse stands on your foot?

Cricket can be extremely damaging to your health.

I had to sit and watch it on the telly one day for half an hour, and I nearly fell into a bleeding coma. :D

I'm only 29, have played cricket (mainly as wicket keeper) for around eight or nine years and I am now in the possession of a pair of knees that crack like a bowl of rice krispies whenever I bend down.

Originally posted by Bar the Bull@Jul 23 2006, 09:44 PM
Cricket a sport? Just about. But it is hardly vigorous exercise.

For what it is worth, I am pre-season training now for football.
Well off the mark there BTB .

Cricket is a very physical sport and fitness is now at a premium . The injuries toll especially on bowlers has become more and more severe .

Fast bowling is like doing repeated sprinting, batting for any length of time involves a great deal of running between the wickets and fielding in the outfield can involve a great deal of running about .

It will come as no surprise that accordingly I bowled off spin that didn't turn much , tried to limit batting to boundaries and getting out and insisted on never fielding further away than cover point :lol:

As a child, I was forced to endure watching cricket every Sunday at the local village cricket pitch. My Mum did the scoring and I "helped" with the teas - normally helping myself to eating the sandwiches. I still find it, along with golf, snooker and darts, one of the most boring sports to watch. As with most things, if you actually participate, rather than just watch, it probably makes the sport more interesting.

I am working with a media company at the moment and through this I have been invited to a few polo matches. I was at Cowdray Park in Sussex yesterday, and watching those lithe, virile, gorgeous looking polo players brought me out in a sweat and I was only a spectator! :blink: This really is a sport for the very fit.
For anyone remotely interested in polo, if you have never been to a game, I can highly recommend it as a great way to spend a hot, summer's afternoon.
I have only played polo once, and found it pretty hard going. If I were to play more regularly, I would really have to work on a much tougher exercise regime than the one I am on now. I may stick to spectating. Roll on the Cartier meeting next week. B)

Bloody hell! Why is everybody having a go at me?

All I said is that cricket is hardly vigorous exercise. As An Capall says, "200 sprinted yards in about 4 hours" for a batsman??? And this is an example of a centurion, for crying out loud.

For half the game, 9 out of 11 batsmen are sat in the pavillion, and most of the rest they are fielding. It is a great sport, which doubtless puts a lot of strain on fast bowlers, but to deny that it is one of the most sedate sports in the world is ludicrous.

I can think of very few other sports where a man with the fitness of Inzamam ul Haq would be in the top 10 players in the world.

I had the misfortune to have to watch an underage cricket match recently. Out of boredom I went for a walk around the perimeter of the pitch (if that is what it is called). I also snuck out of sight behind the clubhouse three or four times for a cigarette. I reckon I got more exercise than anyone playing.

I always felt that a cricket match was a great place to top up my sunbathing when I got older. My Dad's livery yard was next door to the village cricket pitch so when I fancied a couple of hours away from everyone else, I would sneak through the hedge and just sit ..................... and read a good book.... :D

Originally posted by Bar the Bull@Jul 24 2006, 10:31 AM
Bloody hell! Why is everybody having a go at me?

Calm down, some of us may actually agree with you BTB!

For crying out loud, I love snooker, and would defend it to the hilt against people who say it is shit or boring, but I would never claim that it is "vigorous exercise". Melendez's post above and Brian's post about the doc seem to tie in with my opinion.

Originally posted by BrianH+Jul 24 2006, 10:39 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (BrianH @ Jul 24 2006, 10:39 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Bar the Bull@Jul 24 2006, 11:31 AM
I can think of very few other sports where a man with the fitness of Inzamam ul Haq would be in the top 10 players in the world.
Darts [/b][/quote]
Snooker
Ten-pin bowling
Lawn Bowling
Curling
Arm wrestling

I'm with you on this one too, Bar.

I lived in a house that abutted the local cricket pitch about 10 years ago - there was the square root of FA exercise being done in the matches played there, I can tell you! We used to wander down of a Sunday afternoon to have a few drinks, sit in the sun & take the piss out of them standing around doing nowt whilst fielding or waiting to bat.

Talking of other sports, other than cricket, someone I know is due to do the Triathlon this coming Saturday (or maybe the Saturday after?) and she is doing the swimming leg of it in The Thames. Her brother doesn't think she will make it though, as he doubts she will be able to keep her mouth shut long enough. :blink:

I very much doubt that. Players on a county team are professionals and have fitness coaches now.

Back